UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » M900 fuel pipe source?

Old 12-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Mark9

M900 fuel pipe source?

Just had the fuel pipe from the tank to the filter split whilst changing the fuel filter, no doubt it’s the original pipes from 1996 now finished off by ethanol, I need to replace them all of course, are these still available from Ducati does anyone know?, (I called Cornerspeed but they are on holiday) Cheers Mark.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Nasher

Bike: M900
One of the normal good sources of stuff like this is Motorapido in Winchester who are very helpful.

Or look online at Stein dinse
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/index.php?language=en
Click on the parts lists on the left hand side and navigate your way to the page for what you need.

Nasher.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
Mark9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
One of the normal good sources of stuff like this is Motorapido in Winchester who are very helpful.

Or look online at Stein dinse
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/index.php?language=en
Click on the parts lists on the left hand side and navigate your way to the page for what you need.

Nasher.
Thanks Nasher, I just put the same question on the other Ducati Forum and Nelly from Cornerspeed said that it’s not necessary to use the original pipes with preformed bends and that E10 straight pipe is preferable due to it’s higher resistance to ethanol, so I’ll go that way, thanks for the response though, much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
…..But isn't there one in particular that changes diameter from one end to the other and also has a bend?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
This thread has some useful information about fuel pipes...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56823
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
Mark9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
…..But isn't there one in particular that changes diameter from one end to the other and also has a bend?
I think maybe I might have to get creative with the routing to account for there being no preformed bends, it depends on how flexible the new tubing is, regarding the different diameter ends I don’t see why there should be but I don’t actually know as I haven’t taken the old ones off yet, if there are different dia ends I’m guessing it can be accommodated for by the pipe stretching over the fittings, but as I say I’ve not had a look yet, I’ve never known Nelly from Cornerspeed to be wrong so if he says you can use normal fuel pipe for the job it’s a good bet you can .
Old 13-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
Mark9

On the other forum someone has confirmed that the pipe on mine is indeed different dias at each end but it’s something like 6mm at one end and 8mm at the other so the pipe should stretch to 8mm no bother, I’ll stick that end in a cup of boiling water for a minute or so to soften it.
Old 13-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
Nasher

Mark
I do understand why you are looking at generic pipe, but do be careful.

There isn't actually a lot of room under there to get decent sweeps in the bends on the pipe, and remember the tank hinges up and down as well.
The bends are quite tight, and you run the risk of the pipe kinking once it gets a bit warm when the engine is running.
I've replaced all the straight bits of hose on my M900 with generic pipe, but the bends I replaced with Ducati OEM parts.

Nasher.
Old 13-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
Mark9

Hi Nasher, I agree it would be better to use Ducati parts, the only caveat being that the part numbers haven’t changed over the years meaning the rubber compound hasn’t been changed so they will probably be affected by ethanol, I guess maybe the safest course of action would be to replace them every 5 years as I doubt ethanol would degrade them to a dangerous level in that amount of time, I replaced the tank to filter with generic tube earlier and found a good routing , I’ll post some pics tomorrow, i also replaced the pump to carbs tube and also found a good routing for that, the OE pipe has a 90 degree bend at the carb union that takes the pipe across the front of the RH float bowl above the carb warmer unions , I couldn’t achieve that with the pipe I used so on mine the pipe now gently sweeps to the right slightly lower and under the carb warmer unions, no problem getting the bend into the fuel pump at the other end, I was about to do the remainder of the pipes but the magic garage fairy had run off with the rest of the tube I’d bought, god knows where its gone!, I’ll find it or maybe get OE for the filter to Petcock, I couldn’t believe how much cranking it took to start, in fact I even pulled the plugs at one point to check they were sparking, anyway the fuel finally pulled through and it’s running a treat.

Last edited by Mark9; 13-07-2019 at 07:39 PM..
Old 13-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #10
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Don't obsess over ethanol, Mark. While it remains in suspension within the fuel it will be harmless. It is only when the fuel absorbs water that the ethanol separates out and starts to cause problems.

If you are going through a tankful at least every four to six weeks, then you should be okay. It's difficult to say exactly how long the fuel will last because so much depends on the ambient temperature and relative humidity. Safe to say, though, that, if you're laying up the bike over winter, you should either completely drain the fuel system or add a fuel stabiliser specifically formulated for ethanol fuel.

Alternatively, just use Esso premium, which, in most of the UK, is ethanol-free.

Have a look here for more information on ethanol http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54542
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
Mark9

I’m definitely not a fan of it Luddite, it trashed the fibreglass tank on my Honda Hailwood replica and rusted the inside of my previously pristine Suzuki Hustler tank (the bike had been off the road for years and never been exposed to ethanol before I bought it and recomissioned it, a year later the tank was rusty internally), I’m not sure what involvement it had in the failure of the Monsters fuel line, that could equally have been age and heat I suppose but I wish they’d never put it our fuel, or taken the lead out for that matter!
Old 14-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #12
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark9 View Post
I’m definitely not a fan of it Luddite, it trashed the fibreglass tank on my Honda Hailwood replica and rusted the inside of my previously pristine Suzuki Hustler tank (the bike had been off the road for years and never been exposed to ethanol before I bought it and recomissioned it, a year later the tank was rusty internally), I’m not sure what involvement it had in the failure of the Monsters fuel line, that could equally have been age and heat I suppose but I wish they’d never put it our fuel, or taken the lead out for that matter!
I'm not a fan either it trashed my composite fuel tank (even though it was lined with something like Caswells) on my little racer meaning I had to change the lovely looking Staccato design to a more common Ally Vic Camp style:

Anyway back on subject.
Although you probably can use generic pipe in a lot of places I took the easy route when refreshing the fuel system on my 1997 900 and simply emailed Luke and Craig at Moto Rapido this schematic and asked for all of that but for the 900 please:

A day later this lot arrived- simples!

I also changed the Vacuum pump diaphragm:

Along with the complete Vacuum fuel tap as it's not re-buildable:

Last edited by Flip; 14-07-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Ethanol is horrible stuff, has buggered up two of my tanks and we only use E5 in the UK at the moment things will only get worse if they switch to E10 as in most of the EU.

Ohh and it knackered my strimmer
Old 14-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
Mark9

Lovely bike Flip, yes my fibreglass tank had liner but it still ate it, how much was the pipe kit from motorapido?

Here’s my Honda btw

Last edited by Mark9; 14-07-2019 at 02:49 PM..
Old 14-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
have you tried here? https://shop.oemducati.com/en/produc...96/monster-900
slob is offline   Reply With Quote