UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Monster S4 clutch noise

Old 01-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
Desmo Dreaming

Bike: S4
Monster S4 clutch noise

Hiya peeps,

My Monster has recently started to make a high pitched 'wah wah wah' noise at low RPM in most of the gears i've tried.

My first thought was a pressure plate bearing but I installed a new one over the weekend,
(including an Oberon slave & the new style anti-spin push rod)

I was hoping it would go away once the new bearing was installed but sure enough, once the bike gets hot after a run and usually just as I'm riding through town, it returns with bloody 'wah wah wah' high pitched harmonic type sound. I appreciate it's hard to convey a sound to someone but I don't know how else to describe it lol.

As soon as the bike speeds up or I rev it or pull the clutch in, the sound goes.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on please? It's driving me mental.

Cheers
Desmo Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Have you had all the plates out and cleaned, checked for wear and flatness?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
Desmo Dreaming

No I haven't yet, It just so happened that the noise started while I was waiting for my Oberon slave to arrive so I thought (hoped) that it would be sorted with a new pressure plate bearing and rod kit.

I'll strip it down again and check each plate on a flat surface etc. It had a brand new set of friction plates in last year and it has only done just over 100 miles on them. I suppose anything is liable to random heat related distorting etc.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Sometimes shuffling the pack or flipping the plates over can sort things. If there are burrs on the friction plates they can also be filed or if that doesn't sort it maybe the basket is badly notched?

Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Daft question your clutch push rod does have the pin sticking out on the slave end to locate to the anti spin bit ?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I just noticed you said 100 miles on new plates so its unlikely to be that they are tanged, basket maybe. Did you check the pack height when you fitted new plates? If its too high it can drag slightly which can give strange squawking noises.

Is the dished plate installed right way around in the right place? I'm just "clutching" at straws really! But it doesn't sound serious if its working ok and goes away, it might just be bedding in.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
First thoughts; The anti spin push rod and Oberon slave should be used WITHOUT the 10mm spacer that Oberon supply with the kit.
As Rollo said, the pin should locate in the anti-rotation slots in the slave. It is only possible to install the rod correctly from the slave end with the slave removed.

Looking at the pressure plate end, you will have noticed the top hat that fits inside the bearing. This should be a tight fit in the inner race and should not be able to rotate within the inner race itself.. Bear in mind that when it gets hot it might be gaining a bit of clearance and "running" in the bearing,
The top hat has a small O-ring inside it which has an amount of grip on the rod and supports it centrally in the top hat, if this is not present it might allow the rod to resonate in some way?

A common source of groanings, whining and squealing on clutches and brakes is a build up of dust from the friction material. Washing with the aptly named clutch and brake cleaner is the answer... Some funny noises during bedding in is not unusual.... A wash will do no harm.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 01-07-2019 at 11:14 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
A light coating of lithium grease (wipe on - wipe off) on the plates can quieten it down and smooth things out...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
Desmo Dreaming

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, when I installed the new friction plates last year, I also installed a new basket too. I remember checking the spacers with some calipers and they all were within tolerance. I can't remember if I checked the stack as a whole or not but I'll double check when I strip it down again.

Myself and a friend had quite the debate as to whether to install the 10mm Oberon spacer or not, I'm glad I went with my gut and didn't fit it, the clutch operation seems fine and is certainly better than the 'Olympic shot putter' pull weight of the original. I also made sure the slave was fitted after the pressure plate and rod so I could make sure the anti-spin pin lined up correctly.

I think I'll order a new top hat that goes on the end of the push rod. The one that was installed was pretty mucky and had a bit of rust on it so I went to town with the dremmel (Doh'h!!) only realised there was an o-ring in there once I'd sanded it down to a nice flat, flush finish lol. To be fair the noise was there before I did that but I'll fit a new one anyway for ****s and giggles.

I'll give it a ruddy good clean out and check the spacer plates etc. I'll check the dished plate, I'm pretty sure I put it all back in the same way it came out tbh but I'll check anyway.

I had to Google the Lithium grease thing Dukedesmo, LOL, I thought "put grease on the clutch plates? what shall I put it on with? my glass hammer and sky hooks?" To be fair, I don't think I could A - be arsed with the faff and B - my misses would chin me.
Old 17-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
Desmo Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I just noticed you said 100 miles on new plates so its unlikely to be that they are tanged, basket maybe. Did you check the pack height when you fitted new plates? If its too high it can drag slightly which can give strange squawking noises.

Is the dished plate installed right way around in the right place? I'm just "clutching" at straws really! But it doesn't sound serious if its working ok and goes away, it might just be bedding in.
Hiya, I had the plates out the other night and gave it all a good clean, I haven't had chance to test it yet as it was getting pretty late by the time I had finished. The stack height was around 38/39mm ish. Does that sound right? not sure what you mean about a dished plate.....should that worry me?! LOL. There are two plates that go in first then alternating plates between friction plates, I don't remember seeing anything that looked 'dished' . When I changed the plates I took everything out and put it all back in the same way it came out. Obviously that doesnt mean it was right in the first place but this weird noise only started recently and some time since the plates were changed. I'm planning on going to a bike meet on Thursday evening in (whitchurch if any other Monster owners will be there, pop and say hello!) so I'll see if the noise has gone. I wasn't going to post anything until I'd tested it but then I re-read your post and the 'dished' plate thing had me worried.
Old 17-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Iirc the dished plate was introduced to reduce noise.

Old 17-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
slob

Sounds right

2 driven plates (2mm each)
1 drive plate (3mm)
1 dished driven plate (1.5mm)
6 of each driven/drive (2mm/3mm)

gives you ~38.5mm (since the dished plate may alter the height a fraction)

allowing for wear down to 2.8mm on each drive plate, a minimum of 37.1mm
38.5 - (0.2 x 7) = 37.1

minimum spring fee length should be 36.5mm

I'm pretty sure (from memory) the dished plate has a punch mark on it which should be outwards, but can't find a reference to it in any of my manuals

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showt...tack+height%22

Last edited by slob; 17-07-2019 at 02:08 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Dot mark should face out. The dishing can become flat over time through heat and wear so it may need to be replaced if it is not curved enough.

Old 17-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

More info here:-

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/clutch2.php

Old 17-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #15
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
This diagram is a handy reference source as it shows both the position of the spring plate and its orientation.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote