UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Steering & Suspension

Old 20-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Mark9

Steering & Suspension

I really like my M900 but as always a few weeks into ownership and making changes to make the bike suit me personally, I’ve changed the silencers and a few cosmetics to my taste , BUT it is a tad slow steering, the forks are currently dropped through the yokes about 10mm, will dropping them through further make much difference?, and how far can you reasonably drop them through?, (I already have a lot of preload on the rear).

Also the front forks are a little harsh on bumpy country lanes, a while ago I was talking to Rob at “Racing Lines” in Derby and he had dismantled a set of Monster forks and added an extra hole to allow more oil flow during compression, the owner of the bike said it had transformed it, has anyone on here done that mod?.

That’s pretty much all I want to change on mine (until I think of something else of course )
Old 20-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
These are a popular alternative to dropping the forks on early Monsters, giving a little extra ground clearance too, as long as you’re comfortable with a little extra seat height

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-re...-/153568669395
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Mark9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
These are a popular alternative to dropping the forks on early Monsters, giving a little extra ground clearance too, as long as you’re comfortable with a little extra seat height

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-re...-/153568669395
Thanks Slob, I might get a pair of those 👍
Old 20-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
Over the near twenty years I've owned my 1997 900 I've played with the suspension and geometry quite a lot- especially as when I bought it at two years old I was riding a 1996 GSX-R750WT which was probably one of the best handling bikes of the time.

So like you, I felt the Monster very slow steering, in fact it under-steered horribly always wanting to push wide on corners unless being driven round quite hard but then, again as you're experiencing it kicked off bumps making for a very 'exciting' ride down the country lanes I favoured.

First to go were the Dunlop tyres in favour of some Pirelli Dragons (we are talking some years ago still), this was better but better still was raising the back up and getting five lines showing on the forks after pulling them through the Yokes.

Around this time I also bought and fitted a Nitron rear shock and felt I was getting somewhere so then it was onto messing with fork oil weights and air gaps- my bike was fitted with Marzocchi forks where one leg controlled the Compression and the other Rebound damping- when I say 'controlled' I use the word loosely as by any reckoning it is asking a lot for individual forks to work well like that.

This went on for a while, all the time using Pirelli tyres (up to Drangon Evos) which seem to suit the early bikes well before finally biting the bullet on the Monster after using Maxton to sort out the forks (and rear shocks) on my 1965 Ducati race bike which transformed it and so had a similar effect on my Monster making me wish I had done it years earlier and not bothered fecking around with them.

As standard the (Marzocchi- can't speak for Showa) forks feel very notchy and harsh and kick off small bumps, this is because they have too much compression damping over small movements, however when you brake very hard you may be able to feel the forks bottom out, this is because there is not enough support in the compression damping over large movements.

The other problem with the damping is there is not enough rebound damping which means when you let go of the brake the forks spring back at you and the bike does not turn into the corner as well as it should, this also causes the bike to run wide out of a corner. The springs inside the forks are actually too hard and Maxton fit softer springs to suit your rider weight and also to suit what type of riding you do.

The biggest improvement felt is from increasing the rebound damping to control the forks extension, reducing the compression damping over small bumps to stop the forks kicking off small bumps and increasing it over large movements giving more support with the spring.

So my final set up is- Maxton GP20 cartridges in the forks with them pulled through the Yokes so four lines show (I would have it so five show but had fitted slight flatter bars to put a little more weight over the front so they prevent them coming through anymore).

Rear shock is still my Nitron (amazing customer service and quality) with the rear joints screwed out 40mm from the bottom of the 'Hoop' to the eye centre.

Point to note on that is originally I had them 30mm out but fitted Michelin Pilot Road 3's which slowed the steering down (enough to make me think the front was down on pressure when I first rode it) and wound them out another 10mm to compensate.

Lastly, if you go the Lougi Moto extenders- which are beautifully made and great quality but according to Rich, the latest incarnation of them means you will need to chop some of the thread off the Rose joints as they won't screw in flush as is.

Obviously these are just my thoughts but I hope some is of use

Old 20-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
vince53

Bike: M1100s
only my opinion id drop through 15mm and maybe put some lighter fork oil in ,worked well for my old 900 then put some pilot road 4's on , see what you think , also 28psi front 29psi back when cold , this put the tyres at a reasonable psi when warmed up on a spritely ride lets say , * )
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Of course you need to remember that the monster geometry and to a degree the frame mean that you need to 'shove' them into corners just a bit more than you are normally used to. They aren't really that bad, they're just built to a budget and the suspension takes a big hit on that.

I find that when I jump on my 748 after the monster I give it a bit too much counter steer, given the 748's tendency to dive into corners to start with …. the first few corners are sometimes 'fun' as I end up going in way too hard and undershoot the apex by miles.
Old 25-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
Goofle

Bike: M900
I bought a Wilbur rear shock and was asked if I wanted the standard length or the optional longer one (10mm? 15mm? cant remember exactly) as this would jack the rear up a little more and aid the handling. The supplier was at pains to state this was an accepted and approved mod. It certainly helps, although my side stand now looks a little short and when on it the bike leans a little more than I'd like! I've dropped the forks slightly too (Maxton reworked) but not as far as I could (yet).
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You used to be able to get different length side stands. I can't remember exactly who made them but I seem to recall some I'd seen were by Cyclecat who are no longer in business. I've done a similar mod with my S4 by fitting a longer tie bar from a 999 (I think it was 10-12mm longer) and an Ohlins shock.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #9
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
I have a pair of Louigi Moto rear frame risers that I removed when my legs suddenly shortened!

Also Genuine Ducati Oil Filter new.

Stainless steel oil cooler cover (Powerbronze) unmarked - decided to keep the Monster as near original as possible.

Make an offer.
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote