UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Biker Friendly Cafes/Hotels etc » Touring Ireland?

Old 24-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #16
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Lous, I toured Ireland a few years back. Will try and find my route maps for you.

Ring of Kerry is a must - would also check out parts of north west Ireland (Galway etc). Head north from Dublin to Roscommon - then on to Galway - then head south along the coast towards Ring of Kerry - then head up north towards Dublin.

My single piece of advice, regardless of time of year, is to buy the best waterproof clothing. Emphasis on being waterproof! Don't want to dampen spirits (no pun intended) but be prepared to get very wet. I've been to Ireland to see family on numerous occassions and there's two things you can guarantee......getting wet and getting your stomach very wet (guinness).

You'll love it though!

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
We had a 10 day holiday in the south a few years ago. Did a fly drive from Gatwick to Cork, picked up car (fantastic little skoda fabia sport), then 2 nights in a Cork B&B before we set off to tour south coast. We had a week at the lovely Ferrypoint cottage in Youghal, which we used as a base to visit local areas. There's a fantastic Aherne's seafood resturant in Youghal. Had a couple of superb meals in there. The only thing that spoilt holiday for us was the cost (poor euro to pound rate) and weather - we had a lot of rain.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...12,121.75,,0,0

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...12,102.18,,0,0

Last edited by gary tompkins; 24-06-2011 at 10:32 AM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Cheers for all the info guys, keep it coming...

Although my trip has been postponed due to sorting home stuff out I've been offered the use of a cottage near Cork, sleeps 6 easily, so when the time comes might post up see if anyone else fancies a jaunt...
Old 24-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Gordon H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouSCannon View Post
Cheers for all the info guys, keep it coming...

Although my trip has been postponed due to sorting home stuff out I've been offered the use of a cottage near Cork, sleeps 6 easily, so when the time comes might post up see if anyone else fancies a jaunt...
Cork is great (once you get used to the traffic system) - The county gets better the further west you go - I was told by a local that "there's no law in Cork, by the time you get to West Cork, there's no god!!"

Clonakilty, Roscarbery through to Skibbereen and Baltimore is as rural as Ireland gets....
Old 24-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
If my information/memory is correct, there was a new addition to the road race calendar last year....a race through the streets of Cork. I think it was late in the year too. Haven't seen this year's calendar, but the local official that I heard talking on the tv seemed keen to make it an annual event.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #21
Stuart42
Gold Member

Bike: M750
Hi Jim

If you are interested in taking in some racing, check realroadracing.com, they have a calender with all races listed

Cheers
Stuart
Stuart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #22

Jim,

I live in Kerry and can confirm that Kerry, Cork, Tipperary, Waterford will all hit the spot for some touring especially if you have a base in Cork to operate from, loads of day trips possible, we do it all the time.

I'm just back from the TT and came home via Larne and rode the coast road to the Giant's Causeway, Portrush, Portstewart - absolutely fabulous - and it rained the whole time. We came home via Armoy, Ballymoney, Kells, Cookstown and the road surfaces were great, much better than down the south.

Very few fixed speed cameras in the South, but we now have mobile vans on the prowl manned by a private company on behalf of the police. You would be very unlucky to be caught on a bike, different in a car. Police still use the hairdryers but don't bother with foreign registered vehicles, too much paperwork - no on the spot fines here yet.

Closest road racing is : Athea, Co Limerick 23rd & 24th July.

Munster 100 Timoleague Co Cork Sat 20th Sun 21st August, this replaces Dunmanway which was run last year for the first time in years. Google Irish Road Racing Dates.

You should come over, you'll have a ball. If you need any more info or help give us a shout and I'll do my best, maybe meet up on the road.

Steve.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: