UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » nasty missfire on idle solved

Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
nasty missfire on idle solved

been riding the S4 , but its had a nasty missfire on idle and bad slow running ,, thought it was TPS ,,checked and reset at 152mv ,, then swapped coils out it was front cylinder but coil OK ,, so changed spark plug for spare and all is OK old plug looked a little corroded and rusty ,,hmmm... also checked injector balance and now bike runs sweet again

bike looks cosmeticly shabby now its 17 years old soon could do with a full frame engine body paint and total cosmetic refab ,, but until I have a second bike in thailand that wont happen ,, mechanics and electrics are sound apart from dodgy alternator yellow cables that sometimes get very hot ,even with shindengren Rectifier

seriously thinking about what new bike to get here ?? KTM 390 Ducati 800 scrambler, enfield 650 twin , kwak w800 ,, bonnie 900?????suzuli sv650 ???,,,,

wont get a BMW too many horror stories and break downs ,,wife wants a new Honda rebel 500 which is also a sweet bike and her size ,,
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Being a monster forum I’d recommend anyone in the range. I believe the 797 has the same engine as the scrambler if you want a low power / friendly version.

If you’re looking at retros. I’ve got a scrambler as a second bike, very rider friendly and fun. I’d only recommend as a second bike tho, and have a big 1200 or similar as you’re rocketship type thing
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
jerry
Old Git

Ron I wont sell the S4 and thats rocketship enuf for Thailand ,,monster 821 is also on my list ???
Old 11-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
Doggy

Bike: M796
I have a 796 and my dad has an 821.
I used his for a week's trip to Scotland, 2600 miles.
The bikes couldn't feel more different.
The 821 feels very modern, smooth, pulls harder right Up to the red line.
I really like my 796 as a second bike, but the 821 made the trip for me.
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
jerry
Old Git

another bike on my list to try is the chinky made benelli TNT300 its a 360 dg parallel twin and gets great reviews,, have tried Triumph triples but the new models feel so bland and characterless ,,will try yamaha triple ,,before my recent 20 year ducati addiction I had VFRs and Hd sporters all very heavily modded and a triumph 900 long crank thunderbird which was nice and an 850 guzzi lovely ,and a load of old nortons totally addictive