UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M696 » First Impressions

Old 24-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
NewMon
Titanium Member

Bike: M600
First Impressions

On the eve of the '08 UKMOC Rideout, my M600 has developed a pretty serious oil leak. I am not happy to miss the rideout and even less happy about the potential cost of repairs. So, to take the sting out of it, I got a test ride on the 696+. Here's what I thought.

The first impression I had was the familiar riding position was almost there but the bars are lower than the M600. The seat height and controls feel familiar and there is even a 'choke' lever to make me feel at home. The noise is just great - a really lovely burble and plenty of volume. Flip up the pretty substantial looking sidestand, into first and off we go. Low speed throttle control is better than the M600 but I haven't ridden other injected monsters slowly enough to compare with them.

I did a mixture of town riding and fast dual carriageways. Around town, the lower bars weren't completely comfortable and I had a bit of numbness in my left hand. The digital speedo display is a bit too small if you're trying to 'keep it down' but the overall experience is comfortable. Out on the open road, it pulls really well and, apart from the old false neutral problem if you aren't firm enough changing up, the gearbox feels good. Steering was spot on and I felt very confident at all corners. The brakes are superb - even the rear. The (very) little fairing really works - despite the feeling that there is nothing in front of you at all, the wind blast was less than my M600 with fairing.

I returned the bike with a big grin and then watched and listened to some lucky sods Desmosedici RR being warmed up prior to delivery. Ducati seem to go from strength to strength at the moment. Current delivery for the Monster 696 is September!
NewMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Arbeia

Red face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP1oiu414M0

My Impressions after 2 weeks of having the new 696.
First of all i`m comparing it to the s2r 800.
I ordered it in may 08 and got it begining of july 08

It feels alot more comfortable than the s2r and has the same horsepower,so it does feel the same kind of speed if not quicker as the 696 is lighter,she absolutley loves the twisties.

The seat is lower and the tank higher for that hunched look. the bikini fairing is rather good and is good up to 90mph and beyond.

I had to get the termis on it as the standard cans well.. just look **** frankly ,and my word do the termis sound good,you can hear me from 3 streets away.
Even the ducati dealer where i got her, rang me up to tell me how good they sounded ,they said "they sounded better than the 1098"
The air intake makes a monstrous rumble.... Bellissimo!

I also got the 14tooth front sprocket put on which does make alot of difference and i would recomend anyone who is considering getting one to have the 14t sprocket added also.

The parts on her are good quality,showa forks,four pot brembos,Marchesini rims and mona shock rear spring which is twice the thickness of the spring on my old s2r ,plus, the bridgestone tyres feel really good also. The clutch lever is super light and is literally a one fingure job.

The only down side is probably the seat. its fine when im riding alone but when someone is on the back i get bad groin strain. My pillion said it was more comfortable than the s2r,the rear seat is wider. it also gives off alot of heat from the under seat pipes. And sadly no hand holds for pillion,but we all know they go faster with only one on lol

I really would recomend this bike to anyone,it doesnt disappoint!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQaNNjiU68c

Last edited by Arbeia; 22-07-2008 at 10:34 PM..