UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 1994 M600 owner coming to say hello!

Old 22-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrobot View Post
Darkness, before I tore it down I chopped the back end and put some micro indicators on the back to tidy it all up......
Apart from that I am planning on keeping it fairly stock and just tarting it up and lightening the load by removing any unnecessary bits of plastic etc.
Kev
That's my idea of custom: if it runs, goes round corners and stops without it you don't need it. If it doesn't, look for a smaller/lighter/prettier one.

You may regret losing the tea tray if you do much riding on wet/muddy roads, but losing it it does clean up the lines.

What this thread needs is photo's.............
Old 22-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #17
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
No one regrets a tail chop

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
kevrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
That's my idea of custom: if it runs, goes round corners and stops without it you don't need it. If it doesn't, look for a smaller/lighter/prettier one.

You may regret losing the tea tray if you do much riding on wet/muddy roads, but losing it it does clean up the lines.

What this thread needs is photo's.............
Well you want to see the size of the muguards on my XVS650....they're more of a nod to a mudguard than anything else so I tend to steer clear of muddy and wet days. Ha ha ha.

I'll get some photos up ASAP, need to upload some to my ftp.

Kev
Old 22-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
kevrobot

This is the M600 on the ride back from Hull when I bought it.

This was the beast last week before I stumbled across this cush drive system.

Oh and below is the Yammy I did last year. No wet roads for this one.

Kev

Last edited by kevrobot; 23-11-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Old 22-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #20
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Nice looking 600. Other bike looks good too.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
kevrobot

Thanks Albie. On closer inspection though the 600 was quite rough. Badly rattle canned engine paint, mudguard kept on with rawl plug and wall screw etc etc. Ha ha.
Old 22-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #22
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Thanks Albie. On closer inspection though the 600 was quite rough. Badly rattle canned engine paint, mudguard kept on with rawl plug and wall screw etc etc. Ha ha.
Read mine then. Admittedly I bought it as a bargain £500 gamble knowing that but you uncover so much if you want to look closely. I really like the Yellow 600. I have also found welds on my engine mainly spatter from what looks like good job but found the evidence I would have removed had I done the work.
I bought a few mopeds over last few years to restore and one of them had brake shoes which should have had a pair of internal brake return springs, but one was connected together with what looked like a paper clip.

Old 22-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #23
kevrobot

I have had a read of yours. Can't believe you picked it up for 500 quid, an absolute steal, mine was quite a bit more than that. Yours looks like it was in way better cosmetic shape than mine when you got it too.
In fairness so far there hasn't been much to replace and Ducati John has been over the engine and it all seems mechanically sound so I'm happy. Means that it's mainly cosmetics that need to be done.
Old 22-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #24
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
I have had a read of yours. Can't believe you picked it up for 500 quid, an absolute steal, mine was quite a bit more than that. Yours looks like it was in way better cosmetic shape than mine when you got it too.
In fairness so far there hasn't been much to replace and Ducati John has been over the engine and it all seems mechanically sound so I'm happy. Means that it's mainly cosmetics that need to be done.
Yes but crank was shot and 6th gears hardening gone. Alone that's £784 and it still needs full rebuild engine belts gaskets seals and heads were stripped, oil ring broken, closer rocker broken, clutch plates worn, plus vapour blasting heads and barrels and paint. That all adds up to a LOT . I was gambling mind with open eyes knowing I have an early bike which I wanted so much since I got into classic bikes.
Old 23-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #25
kevrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Yes but crank was shot and 6th gears hardening gone. Alone that's £784 and it still needs full rebuild engine belts gaskets seals and heads were stripped, oil ring broken, closer rocker broken, clutch plates worn, plus vapour blasting heads and barrels and paint. That all adds up to a LOT . I was gambling mind with open eyes knowing I have an early bike which I wanted so much since I got into classic bikes.
That's true mate and so far (touch wood) I've had no major mechanical bits to sort.

In other news I picked up a proper blind puller and it did the job after MUCH effort LOOOOOOADS of plus gas and some bruised hands.

waving goodbye with 2 fingers.

Anyway I should start an M600 build thread this week once I have resized all the images so far.

Kev
Old 23-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #26
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Welcome along.
Glad you got them out.
Could you post a pic of the "blind puller", just out of interest.
......Stevie Wonder jokes will be frowned upon.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #27
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Anyway I should start an M600 build thread this week once I have resized all the images so far.

Kev
Use http://postimg.org/ and it will resize them for you

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #28
kevrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Welcome along.
Glad you got them out.
Could you post a pic of the "blind puller", just out of interest.
......Stevie Wonder jokes will be frowned upon.
Ha ha ha ha. Already had one from one of my mates.

The blind puller is like this: http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/core/me...e5e0e9e2339c8a

Basically 4 prongs which are expanded when you screw the bolt down. You then attach the slide hammer and pull em out. 1st attempts didn't work when I was pulling up from the floor with the wheel beneath my feet, but when I put the wheel on the side and had my legs holding it, they came out fairly easily.
Old 23-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #29
kevrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Use http://postimg.org/ and it will resize them for you
I will batch do them in photoshop I reckon as I'll do the thread from my computer. Doing posts from the phone on forums is a right old pain in the buttox. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 23-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #30
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Its hard to tell from the picture but would I be correct in assuming that the puller grips on the bore of the inner steel sleeve ?
.....in which case, the rubber is still effectively absorbing some of the shock load as you apply the slide hammer ...?
.....in which case I'm slightly but pleasantly surprised that it worked.
I've not had to remove mine yet but I daresay there will come a day when I do, so its all good info to file for future ref.
Ta.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote