UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 'ello

Old 30-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
stormlet

'ello

'ello all,

Another new Monster owner signing in - mine hasn't actually arrived yet and I'm getting a wee bit overexcited. I don't actually know when it is going to be here. Hopefully some time next week - it's coming up by courier van and I'll have to meet them on t'other side (Scottish Mainland, I'm on an island).

It's a 750 and I haven't even SEEN it yet - I bought it from a dealer having only seen pics, I've never done anything like this before and am swinging between being really positive and excited and then thinking that it looks OK but will probably sound like a bucket of nails...

...it DOES look OK - doesn't it???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallducati.jpg (31.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 30-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
PETE.AKO

Welcome, good choice of bike i have had mine for 5 years plus brilliant bike ..Have fun!!
Old 30-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
alreadyinuse

nice i'm a bit of a monster purist usually frame should be gold. but i really like the red frame and glossy black nice one!!!

Where does the Ferry leave from on the Mainland?
Old 30-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
stormlet

Thanks - I hope it'll be as much fun as I expect it to be!

I thought that the frame shouldn't be red! But I don't mind, I'm just looking forward to having a Monster of my very own

There are a couple of crossings to Orkney - the bike is coming to the Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope ferry as it is the nearest one to us.
Old 30-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Welcome to the club.
The bike looks good!
Old 30-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
smiffyraf1

Nice.
Mines a 750 and i love it. Have always said that its the bike i will never ever sell as i love its do anything capability.
Hope its everything you hope for
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
That's a lovely looking bike and buying from a dealer will give you protection from the unknown if needed anyway. Enjoy your new ride.

How long does the Ferry take to get to Orkney? Me and a mate were considering the trip on a up and coming venture to the North. Is it worth it as well?
Cheers
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
stormlet

Thanks for the welcome, folks It's going to be such a blast when that there Monster actually gets here - the only concern that I have - well, apart from worrying about it being a complete heap with a knackered engine - can't help being a bit pessimistic - is that I might not be able to get my feet down. But it is a nice low bike, eh? and it'll be OK...
* bites fingernails*

Rally, there are three vehicle ferries that come over - one from Aberdeen to Kirkwall which is an eight hour trip, one from Scrabster (Thurso) to Stromness, about an hour and a half, and the one from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope, just about an hour.

The A9 from Inverness up is a lovely road - very twisty and fantastic scenery. Coming up the other side - the West - is probably even more beautiful, there is still quite a bit of single track. At this time of year the dreaded midges can turn it into a bit of a nightmare (stop in a passing place and raise your visor? Noooooo, I wouldn't do that if I were you...)

I would of course say that it is worth coming - Orkney is a fab place, the roads aren't great but there are lots of things to recommend it. There's even a rally the last weekend in August - the Twatts Twits Trot. Yes, we do have a place called Twatt. Honest.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Welcome along.
You'll not be disappointed with that.
I've also had a 750 (as my only proper road bike) for 5 or 6 yrs, and I love it to bits.
Its a definite keeper and by far the best bike I've ever owned.
Hope you enjoy yours just as much.

Old style monsters are very low in the seat, so hopefully you'll not have a problem there.
But just in case, I've recently realised that there is perhaps scope for a very simple mod to lower the rear slightly, viz if you replace the locknuts on the rear hoop rose joints with thinner ones (ie proper, thin locknuts rather than the std ones that Ducati use) then you may be able to screw the rose joints in a little further. I haven't tried this, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work, and it costs virtually nothing.

One thought that springs to mind ...carby monsters do suffer from carb icing in cool, damp conditions. Symptoms are poor throttle response and tickover after periods of steady throttle. Its only a winter issue down here, but you may find that your maritime climate encourages this. If so, dose the fuel with pro,fst and you'll be fine.

Enjoy the overexcitement.
And yes, it does look nice. And, being a wet clutch model, it shouldn't sound too much like a bag of nails.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the club Stormlet. The bike looks very clean and I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun when it arrives.
Happy riding.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Welcome along.
And yes, it does look nice. And, being a wet clutch model, it shouldn't sound too much like a bag of nails.
You can't have everything sadly.

I'm considering buying a big bag of nails to replicate that sound myself
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Geoff Ives

Welcome. You have made the right choice. The M750 seems to have a, well earned, following all of it's own.
I own 3 Ducati's and the M750 is by far my favourite.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
stormlet

I'm all prepared to really like the 750 when it gets here, it sounds like I've probably made a good choice

Thanks for the advice, utopia - hopefully I'll be able to get my feet down OK but if not at least I'll have an idea of how to sort it. I could always hoick some padding out of the seat as well - years ago, I had a BMW R65 that had most of the padding taken out. It was a bit uncomfy on long journeys but I got used to it...

Oh, and I've already got a bike that sounds like a bucket o' nails - my beloved old 750 Zephyr. Which may have to get used to being left in the bike shed for a bit once the Monster arrives!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Geoff Ives

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlet View Post
Thanks for the advice, utopia - hopefully I'll be able to get my feet down OK but if not at least I'll have an idea of how to sort it. I could always hoick some padding out of the seat as well - years ago, I had a BMW R65 that had most of the padding taken out. It was a bit uncomfy on long journeys but I got used to it...

I am short, 29" inside leg and have no problem with the M750. My other 2 Ducati's pose problems and my ST2 required serious seat surgery but the Monster is perfect as it is.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
alreadyinuse

hor tall are you? im 5ft4 wuth a 27" inside leg and i manage just