UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #121
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Great stuff mate keep it up 👍
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #122
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoy View Post
Great stuff mate keep it up 👍
Cheers mate. I have a feeling it's a later tank. No seams at the front. Never mind.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #123
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Are you sure mate ? You know what the factory was like back then - all sorts coming out lol.
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #124
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoy View Post
Are you sure mate ? You know what the factory was like back then - all sorts coming out lol.
Cannot remember off my head. No bible to check at work. Mine also has the aluminium clip not that I can't swap for a new black Ss one early monster. Presuming that it's had a drop in its life. Later year top yoke. Frame from around 94/95 , 1 different exhaust maker, brake reservoir changed. Just presuming tank got stuffed too.
Old 28-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #125
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I only done some finish off silly stuff tonight but it may be helpful to some who have older monsters with the front extensions and the pins break. I did post a while ago of what I did but tonight I fitted 2 black number plate screws and dremelled off the heads on the inside level and they work brilliantly.

I also picked up the clutch locking tool from Machine Mart. I think its well worth £7 and could easily be reinforced with old plates.

This afternoon I popped into a local powder coater with a sample of a colour which is so very close to the original paint. He reckons he can do my frame and is now trying to get a colour match the same but with a matt or a satin finish as the sample was gloss. He is also going to shotblast my other parts when doing the frame if I am obviously satisfied with the colour sample. Getting excited about having a frame all finished in the right colour.
Old 28-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #126
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I
I also picked up the clutch locking tool from Machine Mart. I think its well worth £7 and could easily be reinforced with old plates.

I bought one of those thinking it would be easier (one-handed) to use. The very first time I used it, it snapped like a carrot. Didn't even get close to the required torque - what a load of old ****.

I stick to the old-fashioned proper tool now.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #127
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I bought one of those thinking it would be easier (one-handed) to use. The very first time I used it, it snapped like a carrot. Didn't even get close to the required torque - what a load of old ****.

I stick to the old-fashioned proper tool now.
I am sceptical the same. I think before I ever use it I will cut up a couple of plates and drill through to reinforce before hand.. TBH I doubt if I will have to use it now as engine is being professionally rebuilt.

Tonight I was more tidying the garage up than cleaning parts because I have to make room for a bike build table I am building. Rearranging tools in places where access is better etc and rebagging finished parts.
I am hoping that I have a few new secondhand parts coming to me soon that will be a godsend. I have cleaned up the headers on mine which are poor underneath but am expecting to replace and will hopefully restore the other exhausts to sell on complete. I took some pics of the complete system and looks really decent. I never expected to be pleased with a stock exhaust system ever.

Cleaned the brake pedal which is in decent enough nick. Has a slight scuff on the end which may have been that righthand side damage seen on a few areas. Original Cagiva rubber.

And assembled the throttle unit with its new cables ready for fitment.

Old 30-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #128
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
wow albs, you did a good job on them zorsts
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #129
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffyraf1 View Post
wow albs, you did a good job on them zorsts
These were just grubby Gumtree silencer bargains I got for £25 . I am hoping to replace the headers for better. It all seems worth the effort. I love restoring.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #130
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Just an update on the fact that now't happening in the garage other than its now organised and has space to build. No news on the powdercoat colour yet but will be checking that out tomorrow as I have a piece of correct colour tube to hand.
Wheels are off to powdercoat and tyres removed and binned and looking for a reasonable pair of tyres but not 180 this time as the side of tyre was hitting chain and chunked it so 170 it will be as OEM.
So Lukas has saved my bacon by providing me with a decent header system and clamp and that infamous ubber container cup so have spent even more money getting a filter to fit. Most grateful to him for that.
Ordered from Germany care of Stein Dinse 3 brake dust cover bellows (2 for somebody else ) a early tank clip as mine is a nice alloy but wrong one so that will be for sale as new and a fresh 90 elbow and seal for the rear brake and a pair of washer dampers for the front indicators. That little lot is £50 nearly but is a necessity.

One thing I was hoping to address is the lettering on the switchgear. Thought about letraset but that's probs a no go.

I missed out on an early tank with correct fuel cap because I thought it would go silly money and definitely would have if I had got involved. If anyone has an early dented tank let me know and also a early tank cap with and elephant. I have a very nice one I can use to swap.
I am now decided plating has to go away now rather than when engine comes back as I hear its not gone anywhere as yet so the remaining bolts will be sent at a later date and will have to bear the cost. But I can then sub assemble again.

That's all my news and no pics today.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #131
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Show me photo of your fuel cap maybe you will want to swap for elephant one lol if I like it. Mind you my cap is PC black.

Also post pictures of those rubbers you were looking for?

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #132
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
Show me photo of your fuel cap maybe you will want to swap for elephant one lol if I like it. Mind you my cap is PC black.

Also post pictures of those rubbers you were looking for?
I have this one which is spare and I could powdercoat.

Or a decent one really not needing powdercoating at all and would be sacrilege.

The rubbers I need are the general tea tray H section there are 2 sizes and need both but just to replace a few chewed ones like the indicators and breather container. I need the breather pipes frome the oil breather and airbox as ends chewed off. Also a few rubber cable ties. I annoyingly gave some away a few years back.

I need one rubber for the footrest hanger too. They are the ones which have the big bolts through.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #133
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I got another 2 pieces for the bike and the frame swatch in Satin finish today.

My sprocket washer was decidedly toothless so this was £2,25 ebay and cheaper than new.

Also the piece de resistance in mocking up the LOOK with the rubber cup. A pair of hoses going nowhere will connect just for show and as these are £16 each I will retain usage of the £6 ones fitted under the tank.

The colour plate confirms to me powdercoat is happening in a few weeks time. It feels right and looks good and still has that metallic shine in it. Its actually very hard to photograph against the original tube and that paint has had white primer removed and lost some colour sheen over the years. At £110 its a no brainer to me.

So let me be the guinea pig on this one.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #134
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Plating is going away end of the week. I just had to quickly make a bracket I noticed on the interweb which isn't in my box of bits so a check on Stein-dinse manual shows it rarely available and a good pic to copy.

Tin snips a vice a drill and hey presto !

That's now in the huge box of overdone stuff to be plated but you pay for a batch. Was hoping to get the exhaust ring clamp to do but not yet arrived. That will go later on in another lot instead.

Picked up some Monster paddock stands today purchased from Sven in Belgium. really decent too and look very stable indeed. I like the idea of the front one too where it goes in through the bottom holes in the front forks. Narrow too so no wasted space there. I am thinking of getting them powdercoated again with the frame the same colour but need a price first or just leave them red.

Very little to get now and just done a deal on the bar ends from QBA so sorts that one out. I may try and get a spare fuel lid machined with the elephant one I am looking out for. Seems like its my only option other than Lukas swapping.

I was going to buy an early Yellow tank I saw but then the pics underneath put me right off. Would need a lot of work to undo the work it looked like it had had. Poor indeed.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #135
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Switchgear now better after using the top half of a 748 unit which is the same. Other unit now back on ebay . I was 100 % about keeping the yellow horn button and kept the complete bottom end . Elephant on it.