UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Me again!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
randall356

Me again!

Hey all,

I posted a few threads a while back about my test rides on various Monsters and I am proud to announce I am now the owner of a 696. I went for the 696 as my riding experience is limited (13 months) and found an awesome deal that I couldn't turn down.

The bad news is I live about 400 metres from where Hampshire Police do their Traffic Officer driver training and I have already had a "are you taking the p*ss talk!". This will be because of the Carbon Termis then! When I bought the bike (from a Honda dealer) I realised there were no baffles but after speaking to a Ducati dealer I found that I could get some for about £70 so didn't think it would be a problem. Now after inspecting the bike closer, and searching the internet, I have realised the Termis are for racing use only. This puts me in an awkward situation as my insurance company won't insure me unless my can is E marked (multibike policy so will cost a lot to change providers).

I think I have a few options either;

Ride around with the baffles in as shouldn't get pulled by the plod but don't inform insurance of the cans but get some used originals from Ebay for if I crash and MOT time.

Sell the Carbon Termis (if anyone would buy them without ECU etc) and try and get some titanium ones, or other road legal ones and hope they work well with the DP ECU.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Are the exhausts stamped for race use only?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Law says it has to be EXPLICITLY marked as not for road use to be not for for road use, that's for non OEM fitted parts. Standard OEM parts must have E and 193a.
So we move to the confusing part that for an MOT there should be an E mark and a BSAU 193a stamp.
Most MOT testers will pass an exhaust without an E or 193 stamp as long as in their opinion it isn't excessively loud. How loud is at their discretion or mood at the time of the test itself
It's an overlap between local UK and Euro laws that isn't quite settled out.

If it really worries you put in some baffles at which point they'll be quiet enough, you can also acquire stickers with the e and 193 wording on. As long as there isn't a RACING USE ONLY stamped on that your hiding no ones going to question it
Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
randall356

Doesn't say "Not for Road use" but does say "For Race Use Only" which surely is the same thing?

I've ordered some baffles and I will see what the sound is like with them in. Some have said they are no better than stock. If that is the case I would rather run E stamped cans without baffles then at least when I get a rectifier I only have to put the baffles in. If I get a rectifier at the moment I will have to change the cans anyway.

I have also seen a lot of VOSA spot checks up here recently - I don't know what power they have as in do they just issue rectifiers, a fine or do they take the vehicle?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
You can buy aluminium bands to wrap around the silencer that have bsau 193a markings on them. Fitted correctly they will also hide the 'for race use only'!
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
d8mok

Bike: M1100s
hello mate, are u the same guy off of ducatisti?

Anyway, my 696 has carbon termi's , but mine have the baffles in and to be honest they are very quiet. Not much louder than the standard cans and dont attract much attention at all. I like the fact it tends to blend in as i can hoon about without too much grief but still sounds nice.

My 848 with termi's and NO baffles on the other hand sounds like god shouting and gets more attention from folk than you can imagine.
d8mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
randall356

d8mok - Yes I am also on Ducatisti. I joined both forums at the same time as didn't really know which one was the most used.

I know some exhausts don't sound too bad with baffles (reviews of SC Project seem to be positive) so I might change the Termis if they sound a bit rubbish. I dont know how well a different set of cans will work with the new ECU etc

To be honest i would rather have a nicer, deeper tone that stock, I'm not too bothered about volume.