UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Monster Newbie......... Maybe!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
longdog_cymru

Monster Newbie......... Maybe!

Hi everyone, and thanks for having me, (so to speak!!!), I have only just found out about this forum from Ducatisti.co.uk

Now, I have the opportunity to buy a Ducati again and, initially at least, it will be a 2nd bike. I used to own a Buell Ulysses (which I loved), and I like twins, especially Vee twins, and I would prefer an air cooled vee twin, soooooooo........ A Multistrada could be on the cards or a Monster. Of the two, the Monster is the most iconic and the sheer simplicity and functionality of a Monster is what appeals.

I have found a nice, privately owned stock 2003 1000Sie with 12k miles on it and belt changes done for a reasonable sum of cash which may fit the bill.

What I want to know is the dirt on a Monster, maintenance costs, reliability issues, what to look for, etc. and what do you guys and girls think would be a fair price for a bike of this vintage. I like the water-cooled Monsters, they look gorgeous, but I really like the purity of the air-cooled Monsters, hence the attraction to the M1000Sie

I'd appreciate any and all information on the Monster 1000. By the way, I'm 6'2" and I haven't ridden one, so what are they like for fit and comfort?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Mr Cake

Brilliant fun, although you may look a bit silly being 6'2". I'm a similar height to you and I had a 750. They're comfy enough, relaxing to ride. They're alright for poke too; Mand's 620 easily pulled us both around the TT course last year.

My advice? Try before you buy and, if you can, take a good look at yourself in the reflection of a shop window whilst riding.

Cakey
Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
benson

Monsters are.......

Brilliant but they need to have been and be looked after.

I am a short arse - 5.6 in my boots and the bike fits me brilliantly - I have an M900 and an M750 (which I have bought despite needing new windows but I'd rather have a bike.....) and I love them both.

Slob has the thou as does Pedro - maybe drop them a PM? The bike is supremely fast too - but as Mr Cake says, check out your reflection and if you can live with that and still feel your feet after a few miles go for it!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
jimbo696

longdog,
Welcome...I am from ducatisti and referred you here...
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
1000DS Monsters are one of the best, bullet proof motors and a heeeuge grin factor. You'll not go wrong buying one, even if you're a bit tall.

Here's mine... waaaay too much bling!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=32074
Old 13-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I'm the same height as you and have no problems at all with the fit of my M750.
I haven't looked in the shopwindows though, honest.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
longdog_cymru

I'm not really bothered about what I look like in shop windows

I'm more concerned with the dynamics and ergonomics of the bike and the reliability and cost of running.

Anther thing, I heard that the early twin spark bikes can have cylinder head problems, and info on this please?

Oh and by the way, thanks Jim for referring me to this forum

Last edited by longdog_cymru; 14-11-2010 at 10:13 AM..