UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Rear light legal requirements

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #1
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Rear light legal requirements

Not for the Monster but my Paul Smart. Some time ago I fitted a tail tidy designed and donated by the much-missed Geoff (Buzzbomb).

I fitted a clear-lens LED rear light but I am not completely happy with its appearance.

Anyway, I have come across a round Kellerman LED rear tail/brake light which at 10mm long & 8.9mm diameter is really tiny, but they claim it is sufficiently bright and importantly, E-marked.
https://www.kellermann-online.com/en...integral?c=161

I rather like the idea of a tiny rear light as long as it doesn't compromise safety & satisfies MOT requirements. I would need to come up with a satisfactory way of mounting said light as well. I rarely ride after dark anyway.
So, my question is: is there a legal minimum size and/or intensity for a rear light on a motorcycle in the UK?
I have checked the MOT requirements and it just states that any rear light should show a constant red light but nothing about size or brightness. Before LED's came along the usual bulb for tail & stop light was 5/21W but clearly LED's have presumably made this irrelevant.

Any comments welcomed!
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote