UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Swapsies - Hyperpro rear shock

Old 09-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Swap/Wanted - Hyperpro rear shock

In a week or so I'm going to have this lovely Hyperpro rear shock out of my 1997 M900.

It's in really good nick having only done @2k miles, and currently retails new at @£430.00.
https://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/d...ear-shock.html

It's 330mm eye to eye for early Hoop suspension Monsters.
the box is no longer with it, but I do have all the original paperwork and even the small Allen key it was supplied with.
it's fitted with a Linear spring which suited me fine.

I have a different less sophisticated shock to go in the M900 as the bike will be offered for sale very soon as I move on to other projects.

I am however in need of a decent aftermarket rear shock for a later non-hoop monster, a 305mm eye to eye one.

Ideally I'm looking for a swap of about the same monetary value, but if that's not forthcoming I'll be looking to sell instead.

Nasher.

Last edited by Nasher; 21-03-2021 at 07:38 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That's a lovely piece of kit.
Have you asked Hyperpro if they can turn it into a 305mm shock? It would probably cost more than you might lose by selling it and buying another though?.. I'm sure you've already thought of it?
I'd be tempted, but I already have Ohlins as standard..
Old 09-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Nasher

It's a good call Mr G, I did try to call them in Holland, but got an answer phone, and the message I sent via email hasn't been replied to since I sent it on Friday, so I'm assuming that like most companies they don't bother to reply to anything and you have to keep trying them.

I called a couple of UK distributors, but they just told me I'd have to contact Hyperpro direct.

It would be a shame to move it on if it can be changed, but the 25mm will have to come out of the main body, not the ends.

Nasher.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
Nasher

Hyperpro have come back to me this morning and said that the cost of making all the changes required would not make it financially viable.

So it looks like I need to put it up for sale when I get it out.

Nasher.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:26 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Ah well, I guess you had to ask the question.
Someone is going to bite your arm off for that shock when you offer it up. It will fit all the hoop models.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
Nasher

The Hyperpro shock is now out of the bike and available to buy.

As mentioned it's in exceptional condition having only covered @2K miles on the road, all with just me on the bike, no pillions or heavy luggage etc.

It will fit all Hoop suspension Monsters.

They appear to be @£430 to purchase new from the likes of Moore Speed, and considering the condition I think it's got to be worth £330. + postage and insurance depending on where you are.

Nasher.

Last edited by Nasher; 12-03-2021 at 08:58 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #7
Nasher

This Shock is now on EBAY:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224392918997

But I still need something to replace it which will work on my M1000ie (305MM)

Nasher
Old 23-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #8
Darkness

What stops you fitting the longer shock, then winding back the spring preload to drop the ride height back to normal (Or a little higher)? There appears to be plenty of thread on the spring collar, but would you bottom out on suspension travel too soon?
Old 23-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
What stops you fitting the longer shock, then winding back the spring preload to drop the ride height back to normal (Or a little higher)? There appears to be plenty of thread on the spring collar, but would you bottom out on suspension travel too soon?
I was thinking that too, maybe you would have to get a shorter ride height adjuster strut or modify the standard one. I put a longer one in my S4 to raise it but still within range of the standard one.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #10
Nasher

Darkness, Darren Hi.

I'd sort of discounted that idea, but will pop out and have a look later this morning to see if it's feasible.

The Hyperpro only has 36mm of movement in it anyway, but I'll have a look at the rocker ratio and see what I'd need to lose from the height adjuster to account for the 25mm extra length of the shock. and try to work that back to saddle height.

I think the rocker orientation will be way out to be effective, but it's worth looking.

Nasher.
Old 23-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The rocker will probably be hitting the seat underside, but if you're having the swing arm out any it would be easy to check. 25mm doesn't sound much but it might be too much.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

A couple of years ago I tried to get my head round how the hoop suspension and rocker all worked together, it was something Utopia, Capo and I were churning over.
I ended up making a full size model out of MDF with the relative pivot points accurately set out. I made the shock telescopic and also the hoop, so that I could try and fathom what happened when the hoop was lengthened with ride height extenders.
All I would say is that there is a hell of a lot going on there geometrically without even factoring the dynamic aspect of it all and factors like sag and preload.
I know the geometry is different from the hoop on the rod system, but the principle is the same. Studying subtle changes on the model did my head in and all I would say is that in my opinion the notion of replacing a 305 shock with a 330 one is utterly doomed. That's just my opinion, but I just wouldn't go there.

If you don't believe me try making a model, or just plotting it out on paper.

Utopia still has the model, he might oblige you with a photo?
Old 23-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #13
Nasher

I downloaded these a while ago which helps understand the two ststems.

Old 23-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #14
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
A couple of years ago I tried to get my head round how the hoop suspension and rocker all worked together, it was something Utopia, Capo and I were churning over.
I ended up making a full size model out of MDF with the relative pivot points accurately set out. I made the shock telescopic and also the hoop, so that I could try and fathom what happened when the hoop was lengthened with ride height extenders.
All I would say is that there is a hell of a lot going on there geometrically without even factoring the dynamic aspect of it all and factors like sag and preload.
You're not wrong, Mr G, there is, as you say, "...a hell of a lot going on there...

The section on rear suspension in Tony Foale's "Motorcycling Handling and Chassis Design" makes interesting, (if head aching! ) reading.

This extract shows how the orientation of the link itself governs the amount of rising rate. The centre example shows the type of link used in the hoop system.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #15
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I know the geometry is different from the hoop on the rod system, but the principle is the same. Studying subtle changes on the model did my head in and all I would say is that in my opinion the notion of replacing a 305 shock with a 330 one is utterly doomed. That's just my opinion, but I just wouldn't go there.

If you don't believe me try making a model, or just plotting it out on paper.

Utopia still has the model, he might oblige you with a photo?
That’s why I said to adjust the static sag so that the installed shock length becomes the same as the installed length of the shorter 303mm shock.

As the geometry of the suspension is unchanged, one problem I can foresee is that by taking out an inch of the damper travel at rest, it may bottom out under load?

Also, the spring and damping rates may no longer be optimal for your weight in the different suspension configuration.