UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » M600 starting issue, just get a click!

Old 13-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
PeteSmith

M600 starting issue, just get a click!

Hey guys,

My monster has been running brilliantly since I got her in Aug, thought I would do an oil/filter change last week and things have gone massively wrong! Service done and the bike won't start, initially thought I had pulled a wire/connection somewhere when changing the air filter but I don't think so.

When I hit the start button I get a click from the solenoid and a slight grumbling noise similar to Ellsbells1973 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--4...ature=youtu.be) which stops after a second or two.

Originally thought it was the battery as it hadn't been on charge or ridden for a few weeks so decided to buy a new one yesterday; same problem! Bought a multimeter today and the battery is at 12.6v with the engine off, and I tested from the battery down to the starter which was 11.8v, so the solenoid and wiring looks to be OK?

Am I right in thinking it is probably the starter, or should I be prepared to get worried with the talk of sprag clutch issues in Ellsbells1973's post??

Any help will be much appreciated!

Pete
Old 13-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
RossObey01

Sell it ...
Old 13-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
PeteSmith

How did I know you would reply...
Old 13-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
Okay, there are so many rattles and rumbles on that video clip (coupled with crappy speakers on my laptop) that I need to know if it is turning over at all or if the noises are simply it trying to.

I would initially though that you would benefit from cleaning up all the connections (the one on the starter motor is prime for getting covered in road crap) especially the ground points as a minimum or better still replacing the cables with some heavier gauge.
Old 13-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
PeteSmith

It's not turning over at all, just get a small grumble like it's trying to do something and then thats it, will only do it once as well.

I have def come to the conclusion that I want to upgrade the cables as I'm guessing they are original and therefore 15 years+! I'll get back in the garage tomorrow and have a look into cleaning the connections
Old 13-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Flip

So is it a kind of buzzing sound you can hear after the click (one or more of those?) or a mechanical one?

What makes you think the solenoid is okay?
Old 13-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
Wildfire

I had something similar. I took the starter out and the mangnets had shattered. I think the cause was a stuck starter switch.

New starter and all was good.
Old 14-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
PeteSmith

Flick; this is all new to me, I'm a long shout off knowing what I'm doing so learning it as I go! I connected the multimeter from the battery to the starter, and on hitting the starter button I had 11.8v continuity. I took this as meaning the solenoid is doing it's job and the power is making it's way down there?

Wildfire; where did you get your new starter from and how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?
Old 14-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Tosh

Bike: M900sie
If you connect your multimeter between battery positive and starter motor terminal, then try to start. You should only gat 2 to 3 volts. This is the voltage drop in the cables and solenoid. Any more than 3 volts mean bad connections, bad cables or solenoid.
The noise you describe sounds like starter motor problems, possibly just brushes, but check v drop first before ripping starter out.
Good luck,,Tosh

PS. Also connect meter between battery negative and engine case bolt, hit starter button. Should be 0v . Any reading means a bad earth.

Last edited by Tosh; 14-02-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
The noise you describe sounds like starter motor problems, possibly just brushes, but check v drop first before ripping starter out.
Could also be a knackered Solenoid making the noises as the contact stutters trying to work (this was the case on my 900 last year).

You can check the starter by putting power directly to it from a known good battery.

Definitely check all the connections- don't forget the little -ve battery terminal to the frame one, as without that being good nothing else will.

Here is some light reading and some good tests to play about with:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comu...agnosevoltdrop

Post up what you find and we'll keep at it!!!
Old 15-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
PeteSmith

Cheers guys, I pulled all the starter system apart today and cleaned all of the connections. Also connected up a battery direct to the starter and there was nothing. Tested the rest of the cables and couldn't see an issue anywhere... looks like I may be changing the starter this weekend!
Old 15-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #12
Tosh

Bike: M900sie
I'm sure I've seen a link to someone selling brush kits for these starters. If I find it I'll post it up here.
At least you now know what's wrong, and hopefully get it sorted soon.
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote