UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Ben's 900 Monster build

Old 04-05-2023, 02:01 PM   #46
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Given it's an i.e. engine and you're using carbs so a hybrid of sorts, what ignition setup are you planning to fit?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:53 PM   #47
900Rebuilder

No idea at present as have both sets - suggestions?
Old 05-05-2023, 08:42 AM   #48
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
No idea at present as have both sets - suggestions?
Are you planning any tuning? if so I'd recommend an Ignitech module, in fact even if you're not I'd recommend it.

Cheaper than the OEM Kokusan and programmable advance curves, can be linked with a TPS on the carbs for more accurate control and can also operate things like a shift light, rev limiter etc.

https://www.ignitech.cz/en/

They make a version for the carb engined, twin pickups not sure what they have for an i.e. type (single?) pickup?

Old 05-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #49
900Rebuilder

Thanks - I'll check it out. I've got all the ignition system from both of the engines along with the ignitors etc.

I've got the California coil kit so do you think that the ignition system mentioned would also work with this?
Old 05-05-2023, 02:24 PM   #50
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
Thanks - I'll check it out. I've got all the ignition system from both of the engines along with the ignitors etc.

I've got the California coil kit so do you think that the ignition system mentioned would also work with this?
Ignitech just replaces the 2 Kokusan igniters, plugs into the existing wiring from the pickups and powers the coils in the same way.

It's really simple but you can change the advance by RPM, by throttle position etc. so can get a smoother map, the OEM setup has a fixed advance.

The reason I asked about tuning is that if you increase the compression ratio you will likely need to change ignition timing. You can do that with the OEM setup by moving the pickups but to do that is a PITA as you need to remove the RH casing, with the Ignitech you can alter it from your laptop.

If you want to see one fitted/in action, I'm not far away from you and can show you it running and programming etc.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #51
900Rebuilder

Sounds good to me as I do have the original motor (in bits) and a JE bb kit ready for that one day so future proofing now is sensible.

Do you want to PM me some days / times that you are available? I work mon-fri days
Old 05-05-2023, 04:24 PM   #52
Dukedesmo

Have PM'd you.

Old 06-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #53
900Rebuilder

If its the correct part I've found the ignition unit for 200 Euro's and it says its plug n play - need HM government to hurry up with the NHS pay rise and one-off Ducati build payment now
Old 10-05-2023, 06:54 PM   #54
900Rebuilder

Popped over to see DukeDesmo for a quick 3 hour chat on Monday which has given me plenty to think about since checking out his lovely 900 and other bikes.

Going to have a serious think about some ignition mods and going over to a later swingarm versus my mk1 888 type.....
Old 15-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #55
900Rebuilder

Dragging everything out to take to powder coaters next weekend (hopefully). Forgot how many parts there were to be done;

Old 15-05-2023, 01:10 PM   #56
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I spy a centre stand there.
Have you had it fitted yet? I ask because it's quite likely to need a bit of coaxing.
The clearance between the brace and the back tyre can be very tight and not allow full wheel adjustment, say with a new chain. Also the assistor arm can clash with the left hand silencer.
I also spy an alloy side stand bracket. Those don't sit very well with a centre stand, as they want to both use the same bolt hole. You can fit both with bespoke spacers under the forward end of the side stand bracket, and the middle hole on the centre stand bracket, then you will need a longer thread on the shoulder bolts to reach far enough into the M10 threaded holes.
Best to try and source a later (post 1999) stand with a forged steel bracket and leg.
Fitted to all 2000 on "old shape" Monsters and ST2/4.
Those don't share a bolt hole and you'll only need a spacer to match the centre stand bracket thickness under the front footrest hanger shoulder bolt.

You've got an awful lot of masking to do in a week! Mating surfaces and threads, quite a few of the parts in that picture that I would definitely not powder coat.
Old 15-05-2023, 01:34 PM   #57
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The oil cooler would probably be better with just a spray over with vht paint. Discs will be a mare too as they are supposed to float on the carriers.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #58
900Rebuilder

Thanks for the comments on the stand as I suspected that there may be issues - I may just run the side stand initially and fit the centre stand at my leisure later on.

The stand I have is very loose on the bracket so I assume that I'm probably missing some kind of brass bush or similar.

Also I don't think that the front discs will be getting done but I may just have them blasted so that I can then paint them myself at home.

I did think about the oil cooler so might just take it along with me to get some feedback as the chap doing it works from home so each item can / will be discussed with him in turn.

Looking at gloss black for frame and swingarm with all the smaller bits being satin black
Old 15-05-2023, 03:33 PM   #59
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
No bushes on the centre stand, but they are all rather loose and sloppy until you get both brackets bolted up properly. Best to have exhaust out of the way when fitting it too, or at least slack and loose so you can jiggle it a bit.
Old 15-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #60
adie851

Bike: S4r
What colour are you doing the bodywork......is it a complete custom build or or more original....? I've done two 900 monsters many years ago..one a very early one which I restored to its original red colour...the other one I did was a customized yellow ...blinged with loads of carbon parts...there's probably pictures of both bikes somwhere on this website....I personally like the original gold frame colour...but it's personal choice..your call..enjoy the build.....
adie851 is offline   Reply With Quote