UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Ben's 900 Monster build

Old 15-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #61
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
The oil cooler would probably be better with just a spray over with vht paint. Discs will be a mare too as they are supposed to float on the carriers.
FWIW Frost Resoration do a special radiator paint, that’s ‘low clogging’ for ensuring an even coat between the fins.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 05:34 PM   #62
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by adie851 View Post
What colour are you doing the bodywork......is it a complete custom build or or more original....? I've done two 900 monsters many years ago..one a very early one which I restored to its original red colour...the other one I did was a customized yellow ...blinged with loads of carbon parts...there's probably pictures of both bikes somwhere on this website....I personally like the original gold frame colour...but it's personal choice..your call..enjoy the build.....
Black with added black.

Body kit black with candy red dropped in and wheels to match red (thinking dark cherry red).

Bike is a bitsa so no stock rebuild here and whilst they look nice in red / gold I'd only look at that if I had another one with matching numbers
Old 15-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #63
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
No bushes on the centre stand, but they are all rather loose and sloppy until you get both brackets bolted up properly. Best to have exhaust out of the way when fitting it too, or at least slack and loose so you can jiggle it a bit.
Wow! I can see daylight between the stand and the bracket so its either very worn or missing something. I suppose there is the possibility that the stand and bracket aren't a pair
Old 15-05-2023, 06:36 PM   #64
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'll send you some photos of mine when I get off my 750SS in a few days time.
In the meantime I wouldn't waste any powder coat on it, looks like you'll be working on it?
Old 15-05-2023, 07:55 PM   #65
900Rebuilder

Quote:
I'll send you some photos of mine when I get off my 750SS in a few days time.
In the meantime I wouldn't waste any powder coat on it, looks like you'll be working on it?
I'm taking the bits over to get the full quote first
Old 16-05-2023, 06:40 PM   #66
900Rebuilder

Here is the offending side stand - nothing looks worn but there is a massive gap between the 2 components;

Also the fuel cap might be useable especially as its a Cagiva era one but the seal is perished - can these be replaced or is it junk at this stage?

Old 17-05-2023, 08:42 AM   #67
Dukedesmo

Rubber seal should be replaceable though not sure if available or if you might need to make a new one?

I dismantled filler cap assembly as I had ignition/fuel cap/seat lock all with different keys but managed to swap/fiddle with the innards so that they all work on the one ignition key and, though it was some years back I'm sure the rubber is replaceable.

If you do need to make one, ensure you get the correct rubber, the old seal on my Guzzi tank was worn out/leaking so I made a new one from a sheet of so-called 'fuel resistant' material but the first time I stopped for petrol it had turned to snot from the fumes.

Bought some Viton (IIRC) and it's been fine for the last few years.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 09:03 AM   #68
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

re the side stand - measure the post and then measure the hole in the stand itself and then go to Simply Bearings and see if they have a self lubricating bronze bush that fits the ID of the stand itself. The bush needs to be an interference fit into the stand but if you cannot get a bush that fits snugly then Loctite bearing fit would take up the slack.
As for fitting over the post you could buy the correct size drill and simply drill the bush to fit . The bearing should be less than £10 and a correct size drill half decent quality about £15
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 09:30 AM   #69
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
Here is the offending side stand - ]
Sorry I thought you were talking about a sloppy centre stand.
Best thing you can do with it is swap it for the later forged steel type, which is less suicidal and will fit with your centre stand if you ever decide to use it.

Paint colour for the filler cap is BMW Solid Gold 859.
I've bought little sheets of various thickness Viton and successfully made rings with a compass cutter. (Remember to cut the outer diameter first. )
I bought a very cheap compass cutter from a model shop years ago and it's been priceless, well worth investing in a good one though.
Old 17-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #70
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Sorry I thought you were talking about a sloppy centre stand.
Best thing you can do with it is swap it for the later forged steel type, which is less suicidal and will fit with your centre stand if you ever decide to use it.

Paint colour for the filler cap is BMW Solid Gold 859.
I've bought little sheets of various thickness Viton and successfully made rings with a compass cutter. (Remember to cut the outer diameter first. )
I bought a very cheap compass cutter from a model shop years ago and it's been priceless, well worth investing in a good one though.
Thanks for the tip regarding the cutter

Would you be kind enough to provide a link to a suitable stand? That way I can look to purchase the correct one
Old 17-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #71
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
re the side stand - measure the post and then measure the hole in the stand itself and then go to Simply Bearings and see if they have a self lubricating bronze bush that fits the ID of the stand itself. The bush needs to be an interference fit into the stand but if you cannot get a bush that fits snugly then Loctite bearing fit would take up the slack.
As for fitting over the post you could buy the correct size drill and simply drill the bush to fit . The bearing should be less than £10 and a correct size drill half decent quality about £15
Thanks - makes me wish I had a little lathe at home
Old 17-05-2023, 12:38 PM   #72
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Here's a picture of one i had from a 2001 M900ie I think. Mounted on my 750SS along with a centre stand, which shows you how they fit.

I sold that to Richardduke, but I'm not sure if he sold it on or still has it?

An ST2/4 one is the same if you can find one with a straight leg, most have a wild kink in them!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254784872...3ABFBM-PypmoVi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314252737...Bk9SR-Tf7JqFYg

Those seem stupidly pricey, but you can hunt around now you know what you're looking for.

Also found these, which is handy, as I couldn't track them down before.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234975279246

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 17-05-2023 at 12:40 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 12:51 PM   #73
900Rebuilder

Many thanks! I almost bought the stand in Italy but spotted a warning about import taxes on their advert so will have a look around closer to home first.

When I googled the part number it comes up as a conversion part - is this because its needed to fit the centre stand kit do you think?
Old 17-05-2023, 03:21 PM   #74
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

No, it's standard fitment to Monsters and probably SS after 1999 and usually incorporates a rotary switch which works an ignition interlock to stop you riding off with the stand down.

I think the stand was redesigned for the ST2/4 when they were introduced, as the centre stand was standard on those. I imagine Ducati simply standardised the new design across the range for simplicity. It also fits in with the ie models coming along and so modernising with an interlock switch.

The stand bracket seems to have carried through everything right up to the M1200, but used with different legs.

I'm quite alarmed at the prices of them. Try messaging Richardduke as he definitely had one on offer, although I've got a feeling it was snapped up.
Old 17-05-2023, 06:15 PM   #75
900Rebuilder

Thanks my friend has an ST2 so I'll pinch that when he's not looking...