UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Interesting Battery Tale

Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
NewMon
Titanium Member

Bike: M600
Interesting Battery Tale

I topped up the oil the other day after getting home. Started bike to check that oil pressure light was out. Stopped bike. Tried to start it again and it was totally dead. Didn't immediately suspect the battery but it turned out to have absolutely NO charge - it couldn't even energise the master relay or light a small bulb! No amount of battery charging/conditioning will bring it back to life.

I've never seen a battery collapse that quickly. It may have something to do with the fact that it is the original and is over 10 years old. It is a FIAMM F12-12B - does anyone know if that is likely? I certainly don't recall ever changing it.

If it is the original, then it is a testament to the Optimate that it has lasted so well.
NewMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Probably some kind of record for an O/E battery

Even using an optimate full time 5 or 6 years is a good innings for a monster battery. The one I originally installed on trike is coming up for 6 years old now but well past it's best. Going to chuck a new one on before the Belgium trip just to be on the safe side
Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Never known or heard of one dropping that quickly but sounds like you got your money's worth.

Mine lasted 7 years with no optimate or trickle charging but slowly faded rather than dropping off of a cliff.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote