UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Insurance for all modifications

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
littlejimmy12

Insurance for all modifications

Just wondering does anyone know of a company that will insure beyond the market value of your bike.

My bikes market value is 1500 quid less than the extra work I've put into it and thats before the current list is got through this year!

would be nice to know that if my bike got stolen I would get back its 'real' worth and not its 'paper value' which doesn't reflect its true value.

My insurance company said they would't

any thoughts - if none then we should start are own!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Carole Nash do agreed value policies, these are usually over £5k & under £20k.
You'd need an engineers report tho (AK did for both his when they were FC).
Worth asking CN - we still have one on an agreed value as it has so many one off items on it.

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Bike: S4Rs
Be prepared to be disappointed. In the current climate, many insurers, even the more prolific ones are cutting down on the levels of cover they are prepared to offer (financially) on modified bikes and few if any will give you an agreed value anymore. All the big names, even Ducati Insurance themselves cannot offer you a quote, as the underwriters have set much more restrictive criteria. I only know this because I have been wading through a myriad of insurance companies this last two weeks to try and get comprehensive cover on my bike which has, what can best be described as, a "rather extensive" list of modifications made to it.

Because of the investment in these and the original cost of the bike, this amounts to a not inconsiderable sum. I like you, sought adequate cover. I could not find a single company prepared to take on the risk owing to the amount involved, save for two. In both cases neither will agree to an agreed value but have agreed to cover the bike and all the accessories fitted to it at their market value, at the time and in the event of a total loss claim. Because this amount currently exceeds the threshold of most insurers, this is why I had so much difficulty getting cover. If you need more information please feel free to PM me. However this is not to say you wont get an agreed value, it just depends (as CK/AK mention) on what that figure amounts to, since as I alluded to earlier, insurers are tightening their belts, just as so many others are.

Last edited by emily's driver; 09-02-2009 at 07:45 PM..
emily's driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
You could try Bikesure through Adrian Flux.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
mazydog

its a problem for all total loss claims at the moment, the insurers are paying the current value which in just about every case is less than the value of your bike when you bought it.

have you had a look at gap insurance i think some insurers offer invoice cover which is not just fixed to any finance re payment.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
littlejimmy12

thanks for the info, very frustrating as I do think there is a niche market here that does deserve a more complete level of cover, the companies should offer it as an option. I can't see the increase in claims due to our 'special situation' on a total loss making that much of an impact upon the profitability of there companies or on the potential of increased premiums. In fact with the above info it seems there is a big gap in the market!! They have us over a barrel unfortuantely. Again thanks for the v usefull info
Old 10-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Gilps

on ebikeinsurance.co.uk you have to list all the modifacations, so I would expect those to be covered. I expect someone will be along to tell me that is not the case and listed items aren't covered, in which case I'll be rather miffed.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps View Post
on ebikeinsurance.co.uk you have to list all the modifacations, so I would expect those to be covered. I expect someone will be along to tell me that is not the case and listed items aren't covered, in which case I'll be rather miffed.
They are covered but if you have any mods over and above what is on their list then they wont cover you, which is unfortunately the case for me.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
jimbo696

I went with Ducati Insurance this year and they asked me to list any mods, such as Termis etc... I thought they only replaced them with oem bits though... I will have to check!