UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Lithium battery for evo

Old 18-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Tim88

Bike: M1100evo
Lithium battery for evo

While self isolating I'm afraid that the devil has found work for idle hands. No, not that! Browsing online made me buy a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 to replace the Motobatt MBT12B4. The old battery was not actually dead but was 3 years old and I suspected that it didn't have the heart to keep swinging the Monster into life. In fact it could barely do it when new. I have had a problem now for some time with a restarting issue when the engine is hot, say 4 bars, which happens a lot if you do much town riding. The bike had to cool down to 2 bars or less, say 20 minutes before it would re start. This is a pain. I have just had a full Desmo service and threw in some new plugs for luck but the problem persisted. So I started to think maybe it is battery related. I couldn't find a larger capacity Lead Acid with the same case size so thought I would try a LiFePO4 to get more volts less sag and greater than standard capacity. I installed it this morning and after a quick ride round to get up to 4 bars it managed to restart ok. I tried it again a couple of times on my driveway and so far so good. I know I should have waited about six months and given a reasoned analysis of the pros and cons of my new battery but I have learn't from my study of comments on various other blogs that it is quite normal to just shoot your mouth off about complex topics without any deep thought or experience! If any one is interested I will post again if it all goes belly up.
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
That is one fix but from my understanding and what I've read on here from others experience the root cause is actually the leads from battery to starter that can cause the poor starting/slow cranking. Of course a better more powerful battery will help and I've only managed to get about 3 years or so out of Motobatt batteries with the standard leads in any case (On my second Motobatt in 10 years plus the original Yuasa of unknown age that came with the bike).

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote