UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Radiator fans not starting

Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
the lodger

Bike: M900
Adam - are you running the bike normally and getting 107deg ? Or are you running it in the garage ?
Old 04-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #17
adampadum

Thanks Darren, I think I’ve been quite lucky with this one as it looks as though it’s been untouched. As far as wiring, I’ve tested everything back to where it should go and all looks ok with no issues or snags. Even still all has the original tape over the wiring.

Lodger, im running the bike normally and riding it round, but the temps will start rising if I’m in traffic and will eventually hit the 100s if I’m not moving. I have tried it standing still too, and letting it getting up to temp without riding and neither start the fans.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #18
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The dash display temp works off the front sensor and the fans from the rear sensor. Maybe there is some difference in them, rear is likely to be hotter than the front one.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #19
adampadum

I’ve tested both sensors by swapping them round, and still the same result. At least I know both of the sensors are working as they give the same reading no matter which one they are plugged into.

It’s really puzzling me, as it makes no sense why the fans will come on if I disconnect the sensor, but they won’t come on with the temp trigger?
Old 06-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #20
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
If the sensor is a switch to earth it might be that the earth between the engine and frame is poor/corroded. The fans drawn quite a bit of current
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #21
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Could be an earth issue. Your best bet would be to hook it up to DucDiag software and run the tests from there, which would be through the ECU. I think you may even be able change the temperature trigger values from there.

As I said mine have never come on when riding though but it rarely gets above 85-95 normally anyway but it used to run 10% hotter before without the oil cooler.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #22
adampadum

I’ve had my cable delivered this morning so will check and see what’s causing the issue hopefully this afternoon and post back.

Thanks for all the help so far all ��
Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #23
adampadum

So after lots of troubleshooting this afternoon, I’ve finally found the cause of the issue.

There were no errors on the ecu and no codes logged so dug a little deeper by downloading the map from the ecu, and loading it up in tunerpro. It looks like the previous owner has tried to cover up an issue as the fan threshold has been set to 140c as the trigger temp. I’ve tested the right hand side fan which is borked, so could be the reason rather than replacing the fan, the ecu has been tweaked to never trigger the fans to stop the fuse from blowing as the right hand motor is shorting out.

I assume that the fan relay in the ecu for the right hand fan is knackered or it’s just the fan itself is knackered, hence the coding them out.

Will have to contact the garage I bought the bike from tomorrow to ask what they can do to sort it, as I don’t want to faffing too much with the bike myself whilst it’s under warranty.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #24
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Well done Adam, hope the dealer comes up trumps.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #25
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Possibly a faulty or incorrect ECU.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #26
adampadum

I’ve managed to get hold of the garage that I bought the bike from and to be fair to them they have been really good. They were happy that they didn’t have to do any troubleshooting with it, but they have offered to collect the bike, even though they are more than 100 miles from me and taking it to the Ducati dealer in Wolverhampton to sort it.

I’m happy to sort the ecu, but didn’t want to do it whilst it was under warranty.

I’ll let you know the outcome as soon as I get it back.

Thanks for the advice so far all