UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Parking it up for the winter.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Parking it up for the winter.

I've just mentioned in another post that due to a lack of funds lately I've decided to SORN the bike for the winter (and cancel the insurance - saving me £118 p/mth, so it's not all bad...), which gives me the chance to sort out the electrical issues and a few other things.

EDIT 10/03: So I didn't really get any of this done over winter, but I got the RR replaced and am now trying to sort out fueling issues...

Electrical:
* Check the stator / replace it if dead - Not dead, yay!
* Replace RR with the FH020AA MOSFET type (and higher quality connections), Replaced - charging now working!
* Replace Starter/Battery wiring and replace the starter relay

Mechanical:
* Check the belt tensions, as they were replaced shortly before I purchased the bike
* Replace chain & sprockets (any suggestions here for a tried & true brand, just looking to replace to stock spec, but keen on thoughts especially around type of chain)
* Remove scottoiler (doesn't appear to work, and I have a method that's worked well for me - ATF in a squirter can, put the bike on a rear stand after each tank of fuel/ride in the wet and give the chain a decent squirt) - Gone, it appears to be part of my fueling/vacuum issues
* Replace the air filter - Done, got a Pipercross in there
* Oil change just before it goes back on the road

Mods:
* Replace horrible streetfighter twin headlights with something resembling stock (but better)
* Replace the mirrors with bar end units
* Come up with a solution for mounting the brake reservoir as it currently clamps to the mirror stalk (the aftermarket brake master cyl doesn't have the mounting for the reservoir that the stock one has). Might be as simple as cutting the mirror off the stalk and painting it the same gold as the brake/clutch masters - Easy solution - buy a mount that bolts to where the mirror was, duh!

Nice to haves if time/money allows:
* Replace speedo cable sheath at the cluster end (cable is forced to bend and the sheath has split due to the silly streetfighter headlights, so I'm worried about 'weather' getting in there and seizing the cable over time)
* Replace the indicators
* Replace the needle & needle valve/emulsion tube with the stronger nickel plated type sold by factorypro.com (for those who are not aware - stock needles have a tendency to rattle against the inside of the tube, ovaling it over time and causing poor fuel atomisation at idle/low revs, leading to fouled plugs and lower fuel economy)

If I get all of the above done, I think all I have left to do is the black paintjob w/ gold twinline decals, re-lacquer the carbon fiber bits, and possibly get the seat re-covered. But that will all probably wait until the following winter...

Last edited by FrankenDesmo; 10-03-2020 at 08:28 AM..
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
I've just mentioned in another post that due to a lack of funds lately I've decided to SORN the bike for the winter (and cancel the insurance - saving me £118 p/mth, so it's not all bad...), which gives me the chance to sort out the electrical issues and a few other things.

Electrical:
* Check the stator / replace it if dead
* Replace RR with the FH020AA MOSFET type (and higher quality connections)
* Replace Starter/Battery wiring and replace the starter relay

Mechanical:
* Check the belt tensions, as they were replaced shortly before I purchased the bike
* Replace chain & sprockets (any suggestions here for a tried & true brand, just looking to replace to stock spec, but keen on thoughts especially around type of chain) I’ve just renewed my chain and sprockets with renthal. I like them muchly
* Remove scottoiler (doesn't appear to work, and I have a method that's worked well for me - ATF in a squirter can, put the bike on a rear stand after each tank of fuel/ride in the wet and give the chain a decent squirt)
* Replace the air filter
* Oil change just before it goes back on the road

Mods:
* Replace horrible streetfighter twin headlights with something resembling stock (but better) I’d suggest stock or motodemic if you can stretch to it
* Replace the mirrors with bar end units highsider are superb imo
* Come up with a solution for mounting the brake reservoir as it currently clamps to the mirror stalk (the aftermarket brake master cyl doesn't have the mounting for the reservoir that the stock one has). Might be as simple as cutting the mirror off the stalk and painting it the same gold as the brake/clutch masters big bolt in place is common sp engineering do them for that purpose for lots of models

Nice to haves if time/money allows:
* Replace speedo cable sheath at the cluster end (cable is forced to bend and the sheath has split due to the silly streetfighter headlights, so I'm worried about 'weather' getting in there and seizing the cable over time)
* Replace the indicators
* Replace the needle & needle valve/emulsion tube with the stronger nickel plated type sold by factorypro.com (for those who are not aware - stock needles have a tendency to rattle against the inside of the tube, ovaling it over time and causing poor fuel atomisation at idle/low revs, leading to fouled plugs and lower fuel economy)

If I get all of the above done, I think all I have left to do is the black paintjob w/ gold twinline decals, re-lacquer the carbon fiber bits, and possibly get the seat re-covered. But that will all probably wait until the following winter...
Do some red comments for you
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
Flip

Personally I've had good results using a DID VX chain coupled with front and rear Afam steel sprockets- I know you can save a few grams using alloy but on a road bike (unless you are really going for a weight saving exercise like Uptopia) they don't last as long generally.

Everyone has their favourite supplier but I like Bike Torque Racing and have used them from way back when they only did parts for GSX-R's. They will even supply sprockets in alternative sizes if you want to mess around with gearing. I've gone up on the rear which makes sixth much more usable in my opinion without making it too 'buzzy' while cruising.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-90...AAAOSwlkpcPe1C

Air filter wise I have used a K&N with an open air box and a stage two Dyno-jet kit for the (almost) twenty years I've owned my 1997 900 without any issues.

As others have surely said I would give Luke or Craig at Moto Rapido a call for all your service and original part requirements and in my experience it is worth checking out those costs before presuming the likes of eBay would be cheaper.

So depending on the indicators you like it could be that original style are cheaper from them or you have the Evotech type for a more modern look while maintaining a level of Ducati-ness:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVOTECH-I...gAAOSw44BYSrny

Or there are older style Ducati Performance versions which are in period to the 900 model years but they, like most other period parts are getting rarer or going for silly money.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
For rear sprocket you could go for something like the SuperSprox which is an alloy centre with steel teeth, so has the benefit of both; then you just replace the teeth when it wears.

Renthal do them too and I have one on my 748 and I shall probably look into something similar for the Monster when it comes time to replace.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
For rear sprocket you could go for something like the SuperSprox which is an alloy centre with steel teeth, so has the benefit of both; then you just replace the teeth when it wears.
Are you sure?

They are lighter than steel, and stronger/ harder wearing than aluminium, don't rust & look great.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 04-11-2019 at 10:40 AM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
Are you sure?

They are lighter than steel, and stronger/ harder wearing than aluminium, don't rust & look great.

Well you do on the Rental one, I think some of the others may be riveted.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Well you do on the Rental one, I think some of the others may be riveted.

Your PM box is full?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
Your PM box is full?
Ok cleared some space.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Replied to pm.

Old 17-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
FrankenDesmo

Welp, I had planned on this being a bit of a progress thread, however since posting I have done a grand total of zero of the things on the list.

However, I have just placed an order for a mosfet RR kit from roadstercycle.com - now trying to find a suitable aftermarket starter relay (this looks promising: https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-714979). Anyone tried this or something similar?

I've been in touch with a UK-based chap who makes the starter circuit wiring upgrade at a much more reasonable rate than motoelectric - hoping he can put together a kit at some stage, though I don't think I'm in a rush for that yet.

Moving into a new house end of next week (as long as the solicitors come to an agreement today or tomorrow!), then I can get to work on it in earnest and at least get the RR & Relay done (and hopefully hook up the new headlight).

In other non-Monster news, I've purchased the frame/engine/tank of a '73 Suzuki GT550 triple as the basis of a new project. Besides the Monster, I'm a big fan of two-strokes ��

Itching to get back out there riding!
Old 17-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #11
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Original OEM starter relays aren't expensive, I replaced mine last year, cost was around £21 ish from Moto Rapido,, after my standard 10% monster club discount, worth a look first?
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #12
FrankenDesmo

Yep that does sound like it's worth a look!

Is that the Desmo Owners Club that you're referring to? Or another monster club? I've signed up for DOC but they still haven't verified my ownership yet (asked for the V5 again... I wonder if the VIN doesn't match the records given that it was an M600 to start with ).
Old 17-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It probably doesn't matter what solenoid you use, they all so the same job. The one i used for my Laverda 1200 rebuild was originally from a Honda 250 Superdream, it just happened to be the right size and fit.

Old 17-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #14
FrankenDesmo

That's what I was thinking - it's just a relay, so if the shoe fits...

But if the genuine part isn't going to be much more than an alternative then I may as well go with that.
Old 18-02-2020, 04:51 AM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If you're a Member on here as opposed to just a User you i believe you get 10% off from Moto Rapido.