UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Photoshop or Similar

Old 28-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Photoshop or Similar

I've a project sitting in my lock up ( Honda CB1100R) in bits.
So I can decide which look to go with, what, preferably free programme would you guys recommend to render images in.
Old 28-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Photoshop Elements is a much cheaper version of Photoshop with fewer bells and whistles, I mostly use that. For the stuff that needs all the features I use GIMP (Graphic Image Manipulation Program), which is free but less intuitive/harder to navigate than Photoshop, with a bit of google-fu you can find out how to do what you need.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
As the mighty slob says…Gimp.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
I have used Adobe Photoshop for years - very comprehensive programme!

At present running Photoshop 6 on a brand new PC and operates fine.
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
If you've used Photoshop and look at gimp it is a bit of a mess, but it does way more than you need its just tougher to find the bits you need. But there is a more photoshop like varient of gimp called gimphoto which is friendlier to use on Windows and linux
Also consider Inkscape on the pc
I quite like krita but that's Linux only
Old 29-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
If you've used Photoshop and look at gimp it is a bit of a mess, but it does way more than you need its just tougher to find the bits you need. But there is a more photoshop like varient of gimp called gimphoto which is friendlier to use on Windows and linux
Also consider Inkscape on the pc
I quite like krita but that's Linux only

Thanks to all for the tips.

I have no idea what most of the above means! But will find out!
Old 29-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Photoshop is built around industry standard workflows, really the workflows were built around Photoshop so it is one of the industry standard graphics tools. So it's slick, refined and tidy which doesn't come cheap.
Now out in the real world a lot of people did't have the money for this and really didn't want to pay so they made their own paint program. Here you have to realise that people who code frequently have quite strong ideas about how things ought to look which can often be a little strange.
TA DA And there's GIMP, it does everything that photoshop does but does it through differet eyes. if it's your first real go with a paint package then it will be great.
Old 30-03-2020, 05:49 AM   #8
PhilLew
600 dark

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
If you want Photoshop but don't need the latest version you can get some older versions free from Adobe, It's something they've always done to get people using their product in the hope you'll uprgade at a later date. I've had CS4 for a number of years now and it works just fine. The oldest version listed here is CS6 so two versions newer than mine.

Disclaimer. I didn't get mine from THIS site but can no longer find the source I did use. Although the URL looks ligit for Adobe, always use caution when downloading from a new source on tinternet!

https://adobe_photoshop.en.downloada.../old_versions/
PhilLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLew View Post
If you want Photoshop but don't need the latest version you can get some older versions free from Adobe, It's something they've always done to get people using their product in the hope you'll uprgade at a later date. I've had CS4 for a number of years now and it works just fine. The oldest version listed here is CS6 so two versions newer than mine.

Disclaimer. I didn't get mine from THIS site but can no longer find the source I did use. Although the URL looks ligit for Adobe, always use caution when downloading from a new source on tinternet!

https://adobe_photoshop.en.downloada.../old_versions/
I would definitely NOT download anything from downloadastro or similar unless you’re specifically looking for malware! Anywhere offering you cheap or free software that doesn’t say ‘adobe.com’ on the far right and have a valid certificate should be viewed with the utmost suspicion.

Photoshop as a bought package was over a grand, apparently you can currently get a month home user subscription to photoshop from adobe for under £10, which may suit you if you just want to tweak a couple of pics and not touch it again
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
PhilLew
600 dark

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I would definitely NOT download anything from downloadastro or similar unless you’re specifically looking for malware! Anywhere offering you cheap or free software that doesn’t say ‘adobe.com’ on the far right and have a valid certificate should be viewed with the utmost suspicion.

Photoshop as a bought package was over a grand, apparently you can currently get a month home user subscription to photoshop from adobe for under £10, which may suit you if you just want to tweak a couple of pics and not touch it again
I'd recomend you take that advice (thank you Slob) as I said I got an out of date version years ago and its' been fine but it wasn't from that source. If someone with more savy than me thniks thats a dangerous link then listen to the man!
PhilLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #11
Shuffy

Grumpy, if you want any help drop me a line, as my Adobe monthly subscription is strangely idol due to having precisely no graphic design work to do!
Old 30-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #12
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffy View Post
Grumpy, if you want any help drop me a line, as my Adobe monthly subscription is strangely idol due to having precisely no graphic design work to do!

Thanks Chris, will call you tomorrow.
Old 30-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Thanks to everyone for the advice.