UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Headlight parking light - missing socket?

Old 18-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #16
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
I'm sure I'll eventually find myself wanting to switch to LED - probably after the Bosch unit gets replaced with a better 7" unit.
Personally, I like the look of the big 7"+ Bosch. At least you can be fairly sure the silvering of the reflector isn't going to peel off in 12 months like some of the cheaper units, and cleaning the inside of the lens is worthwhile. With the LED I mentioned, the beam pattern is good too as per the garage-wall test, though I've not ridden the two bikes I have with that setup at night. I'm definitely a Diurnal Ducatista!

Nick

Last edited by The Clockie; 18-03-2020 at 08:37 PM..
Old 18-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #17
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post
Personally, I like the look of the big 7"+ Bosch. At least you can be fairly sure the silvering of the reflector isn't going to peel off in 12 months like some of the cheaper units, and cleaning the inside of the lens is worthwhile. With the LED I mentioned, the beam pattern is good too as per the garage-wall test, though I've not ridden the two bikes I have with that setup at night. I'm definitely a Diurnal Ducatista!

Nick
Aye it does look the part, you're not wrong!

Unfortunately mine has a chip in the lens will I am envisioning will be a problem for the MOT man come August, and they're ridiculously expensive to replace compared to instead using on of Gazza's rings and fitting a 7" unit to my nice Carbonvani bucket.
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #18
The Clockie

Have you thought of using water-clear Stormsure polyurethane adhesive on your chipped lens? Tis very tough and better than clear silicone sealer. Alternatively, a UV-cured windscreen crack sealer such as sold by Loctite et al? I don't mean to undermine Gary's efforts to achieve the perfect headlamp cos he's a good mate and gave me his surplus Bosch!

Nick
Old 18-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #19
FrankenDesmo

I hadn't considered a repair being possible, to be honest. Could definitely be worth a crack (intended). I can't say that I'd see it being a permanent fix, though.
Old 18-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #20
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
No undermining detected Nick..

I recognise the finite supply of original Bosch lamps and respect efforts to preserve them, whilst being able to supply a means to an alternative via adapter rings.

Your kit will be in the post in the morning Frankendesmo, you have the last but one Black one. I do still have a good supply of Gold ones and a stock of bare ones that I am tempted to spray black, as they seem the more popular.
Old 19-03-2020, 06:56 AM   #21
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The bosch lamp parts will probably be cheaper from BMW parts place, like Motorworks as they are the same as the K series and maybe also the early R series too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 08:37 PM   #22
FrankenDesmo

Quote:
Have you thought of using water-clear Stormsure polyurethane adhesive on your chipped lens? Tis very tough and better than clear silicone sealer. Alternatively, a UV-cured windscreen crack sealer such as sold by Loctite et al?
I pulled the headlight apart to clean the inside of the lens - the chip of glass is missing from in there (about the size of a pinky fingernail), do you think the windscreen repair trick would work for that? Or do you usually need the 'chip' as well?

Edit: It would be really nice if just the lens was available as a spare, but that doesn't appear to be the case - I also quite like the look of the big headlight, especially now that it's on the bike (sooooo much better than the silly streetfighter ones!). But a 7" replacement will be the next best thing, with the added bonus of a better beam.

Quote:
A craft knife is your friend... Either that or a belt-sander and VERY careful handling!
While I was waiting for the ducati part to turn up, I whittled down one of the existing parking lights and jammed it in the hole - seems to work fine, I might just leave it that way. Although I wasn't able to get the whole headlight going as the H4 plug has the wires coming straight out the back, which doesn't leave enough room in the Carbonvani bucket, so I need to replace that with the type that has angled spade terminals and wires coming out the sides.

Last edited by FrankenDesmo; 22-03-2020 at 08:43 PM..
Old 22-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #23
The Clockie

If the lens has lost a flake from the inside, it should be very easy to fill and seal it with Stormsure clear, especially if you can support the glass so that the cement stays within the depression, rather than creeping away from it under gravity. A 5ml tube of Stormsure would be more than you need, and it's worth storing it in the fridge afterwards because an opened tube will slowly cure on its own. The stuff goes off with humidity, by the way, and the repair should be given a day to harden.

On almost every LED headlight conversion I've done, it was best to open a porthole in the back of the bucket, both for clearance and to let the fan vent to fresh air. You could do that to be able to fit your current electrics.

Nick
Old 23-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #24
FrankenDesmo

OK, I'll try out stormsure on the lens and let you know how it goes.

It's no bother for me to crimp on a different plug - I had already done that with the current plug as this piece of loom had previously been butchered for the twin headlight setup. I'm definitely not keen on cutting a hole in this very nice carbon fibre bucket!
Old 23-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #25
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
OK, I'll try out stormsure on the lens and let you know how it goes.

It's no bother for me to crimp on a different plug - I had already done that with the current plug as this piece of loom had previously been butchered for the twin headlight setup. I'm definitely not keen on cutting a hole in this very nice carbon fibre bucket!
Ah, I was wondering if it was CF. I don't mind butchering plastic or steel buckets but I'd draw the line at CF too!

Nick
Old 23-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #26
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

FrankenDesmo: bike looks much better with a proper headlight as per your avatar
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #27
FrankenDesmo

Thanks, it really is night and day.