UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Timing Belts

Old 23-02-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
mholc

Timing Belts

Has anyone had experience of Exactfit or Dayco timing belts, they seem considerably cheaper than the OEM ones.
Old 23-02-2020, 11:21 PM   #2
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
I fitted Dayco belts only last August and not expecting any trouble tbh. Half the price of Ducati belts.
Old 24-02-2020, 12:10 AM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Many on here have used Exactfit belts successfully for a number of years and I've never heard of any failures.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56571

I've bought a pair myself but haven't fitted them yet. The look and feel of them certainly seems to be on a par with OE belts, if not better. If you do buy Exactfit belts, be aware that the recommended tension is lower than the OE versions, so be careful not to overtighten them.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #4
mholc

Thanks all much appreciated
Old 26-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Many on here have used Exactfit belts successfully for a number of years and I've never heard of any failures.

I've bought a pair myself but haven't fitted them yet. The look and feel of them certainly seems to be on a par with OE belts, if not better. If you do buy Exactfit belts, be aware that the recommended tension is lower than the OE versions, so be careful not to overtighten them.
Yep used Exact-Fit on my 900 and they seem at least as good if not better than the Ducati ones to me too.

It's quite interesting that Stu says the tension is set lower as they stretch less than the Ducati ones, which presumably means the Ducati ones were slightly over tensioned to begin with to allow for it?

I've never measured the frequency to set the tension on mine and both my genuine and Haynes workshop manuals only give a tension figure using a spring balance which is how I have always set them. I guess the technology wasn't available back in 1997.

Old 27-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #6
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

That's what I use - I like your bit of tube to fit over the bearings and to ensure an even pull. Attaching the hook end to a circular bearing is never satisfactory
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
Flip

I can’t claim I invented it I’m afraid- there was a chap on eBay selling a spring balance & a ‘bearing cup’ as a ‘kit’ for about £50- I asked if he’d sell just a cup as I’d already been using my spring balance for setting belt tension (notice the flattened hook to grip where the two bearing press together), but he wouldn’t so I made myself one from some sheet tin I had at work. It’s simply formed around and old bearing and soldered together.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
I just fitted Exactfit. Easily done and great service from Stu! Apparently they last for 3 years which is better than 2!
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
StevieL

Bike: M900ie
Have run Dayco belts on a 900ie and an ST2, good quality belts, do check your tensioner bearings when you have the old belts off, whatever belts you fit won't last long if a bearing nips up.
StevieL is offline   Reply With Quote