UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Monster 900Sie 50000mile refresh.

Old 15-01-2024, 08:36 AM   #31
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
H
However, I would appear to be in need of a spacer on the right side of the axle. If I push the shoulder up to the wheel bearing to make everything tight, The right had end of the spindle disappears into the fork by about 8mm and then the sleeve nut bottoms out before it has reached the left leg face. An 8mm (approx) spacer on the right side would put it all right, by the looks.
Studying images of 1098 and other axles they seem to come with a large (30mm?) and small spacer, so it would seem to follow that's what I need.
I would of course be extremely grateful if anyone has an unwanted spare I could buy?
When I did the 1198 forks to 916 conversion, I ended up with various spacers surplus to my requirements.

Not certain which came from what model etc. but, assuming it's 25mm axle? I have 2 types of spacer; one type is 7.5mm thick and the other is 21mm thick, I think the 7.5 is the one you need (I believe that's what's in my axle but can't measure properly whilst it's fitted), the 21mm I have no idea of origin.

I've actually got 2 of the 7.5mm, you're more than welcome to one if it is of use to you.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2024, 09:19 AM   #32
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That's spot on Tim. I did some measuring yesterday and came up with 7 to 8mm for the spacer @25mm ID, so 7.5 would be right.
I'm also missing a washer under the sleeve nut which will improve things in the right direction again.

Thank you so much for your offer, the thing is, I ordered a spacer and washer from Moto Rapido first thing this morning, so the deed is done now!
Still good to know that I'm right with the 7.5mm though. Thanks again.

The next problem is the speedo cable. As mentioned I've found that an XS650 cable should be the length I need @900mm, but I don't know if Japanese threads will fit my Italian (CEV?) instruments. Venhill will be my next call.

An SS tacho cable is available but not stocked and Craig couldn't tell me the length, so I didn't take the gamble as it would be non-refundable.
Old 15-01-2024, 10:27 AM   #33
Dukedesmo

Quote:
That's spot on Tim. I did some measuring yesterday and came up with 7 to 8mm for the spacer @25mm ID, so 7.5 would be right.
I'm also missing a washer under the sleeve nut which will improve things in the right direction again.

Thank you so much for your offer, the thing is, I ordered a spacer and washer from Moto Rapido first thing this morning, so the deed is done now!
Still good to know that I'm right with the 7.5mm though. Thanks again.

The next problem is the speedo cable. As mentioned I've found that an XS650 cable should be the length I need @900mm, but I don't know if Japanese threads will fit my Italian (CEV?) instruments. Venhill will be my next call.

An SS tacho cable is available but not stocked and Craig couldn't tell me the length, so I didn't take the gamble as it would be non-refundable.
Too late then! Sorry about that.

As for the speedo cable, I don't know if it would work but old Moto Guzzis have a long cable as it runs from the speedo to the gearbox - anything between 800 and 1100mm depending on model (and there's one listed as 898mm), check out; https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheSh...&PriceFilter=2 for length & info.

Also I don't kow if the fittings are the same but they are Italian (Veglia clocks) so maybe?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2024, 12:12 PM   #34
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for the Gutsi link Tim. I spotted one @915 which might give me a bit more wiggle room, so I'll ask them if they think CEV and Veglia are compatible.
Cheapest speedo cables I' seen so far too. SS tacho cable is about £32!

Hang on to those spacers, Nasher will probably be doing some more hybrid forks in the future, so they might come in handy yet.
As it happens I needed the washer too so the spacer made the order up above their minimum order for post.
Old 16-01-2024, 03:11 PM   #35
dunf

Bike: M1200s
you could also consider vespa / lambretta speedo cables. Same fitment and similar length, but all much cheaper! If you know what you want I have a chart somewhere that could identify a suitable model.
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2024, 09:12 PM   #36
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Well I certainly would never have considered a Vespa or Lambretta part!
I'm game though if you think the fittings would be compatible, and thanks for the heads up.
Looking at the Gutsibits site they seem to measure the length of the inner, so 895mm would be perfect, 900 would be great.

You can see how the radial caliper makes the cable take a much longer route.
I trial fitted an earlier cable guide I have, to give the curve of the cable more room. Having just detached the cable at the head and attached it to the gearbox to get a nice straight measurement of the extra length needed, I found that the curve is much sweeter and I think I can use the original guide.
Sad thing is, it looks like I will have to get new brake lines as well as the nearly new Hel lines appear to be too short!
Old 16-01-2024, 09:30 PM   #37
Nasher

Looking good Gaz.

Unfortunately of course both the bikes I've fitted the forks to have electronic speedos drive off the back wheel.

I'm a bit surprised you need to change the brake lines.
I used the standard lines on both my bikes with no issues.

Although strangely, when I put a set of 1098 Radial Caliper forks in my 999, I had to buy longer brake lines.
Old 16-01-2024, 09:40 PM   #38
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks Nasher.
I'll have a better look at the lines when I drain the system and can offer them up properly. At the moment they look just a bit too short, although I had thought that they ought to fit like yours obviously do.
Old 17-01-2024, 03:05 AM   #39
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have found that for speedo cables on monster that Honda and Yamaha cable fit too
Old 17-01-2024, 07:47 AM   #40
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for that Jerry. That's what I needed to know.
Old 18-01-2024, 08:26 AM   #41
dunf

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Well I certainly would never have considered a Vespa or Lambretta part!
I'm game though if you think the fittings would be compatible, and thanks for the heads up.
Looking at the Gutsibits site they seem to measure the length of the inner, so 895mm would be perfect, 900 would be great.
Close but maybe they are just a little too long. Have a look. This particular site is in Germany but I linked it because they rather helpfully list the cable length and drive square dimension in most of the description titles. If you did identify a suitable cable then you can buy it anywhere. (I also do build custom scooters and have an account with this place).

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/s...%20speedometer

I used an extra length lambretta cable to replace the broken handbrake cable in my old van. Renault wanted £145 for a cable. The lammy one was £3.50 and was still working fine 5 years later when i sold it.
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #42
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for the link Dunf.
That's a big list of cables! I got quite exhausted wading through it looking for a suitable one.
I ordered an XS650 one from Motorcycle Products last night as it looks just right and Jerry reckons Yamaha ones fit Ducati.
Besides I discovered they are a local family run business based in Bungay nearly next door to my mate. They sell quite a few Ducati bits too at very competitive prices.

https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk...0-parts/2/5692
Old 27-01-2024, 08:08 PM   #43
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

It's been quite a hectic couple of weeks with work and I've been too knackered in the evenings to get into the shed!
However I managed to round up all the bits and pieces to make the forks and brakes all fit together. Correct wheel spacer for the axle, a washer to go beneath the spindle nut, Ti caliper bolts, 4.5mm disc spacers and a speedo cable for an XS650 that will fit the bill.
Today I dry assembled everything to have a proper look at it all.
Getting the disc bolts out proved harder than I thought it ought to be! The steel button heads I used don't have a very deep Allen socket, so I went for grinding paste in the socket from the start. Even so I only got two out and chewed the heads out of the rest.
I got them out by grinding slots in the heads and using an impact screwdriver on them.

Meanwhile Dacs phoned and asked why I wasn't using any heat, I complained that I didn't really have anything that had a small enough flame, to which he suggested boiling water.
This is like getting your own advice back, and I didn't think it would be hot enough, but it's silly not to try. Needless to say the bolts on the other side all came out after a dousing of boiling water with not one head wrung out. Thanks for the nudge Dacs.

The disc spacers fit perfectly, but the new Ti standard length disc bolts are left wanting, they could do with being 20mm instead of 15, but this will do for a trail fit.
I thought I would just offer the speedo drive into the wheel before I attempted to put it in the forks and this revealed a problem. The gearbox won't sit in the wheel properly with the disc bolts in. I had to take two out to get the gearbox to seat properly and obviously the wheel would not turn with the the others in place, so I'm afraid that somewhat kills the project, as I'm not changing the speedo or messing about with hall sensors and extra cabling.

I still carried on with the dry fit without the speedo drive to make sure everything else was good, which it is, and it looks good too.

The adjusters look good. The forks are set flush just as a simple means of getting them level, they would normally protrude above the yoke by about 20mm.

7.5mm spacer is perfect on the right side.

It will need the larger spacer on the left side to make it fit a bike without a speedo drive now, as I'll be moving this whole set up on to a post 2002 Monster owner.
The washer under the nice ally sleeve nut does the business.

So with the exception of the left hand axle spacer, I have all the parts to change the entire front end.
Hybrid Monster/1098 forks with new seals and oil (Goes straight into Monster yokes.)
Front axle with spacer, nut and washer. (Needs the LH spacer.)
Precision alloy disc spacers @4.5mm
Pair of Brembo radial callipers, with new piston seals and half seals about 3000 miles ago.
Stainless pinch bolts.
Banjo bolts with bleed nipples.
Pad pins and clips present with spares.
Set of 8 new EBC 4HH sintered pads (one for each piston) (+ a pair of matching new rear pads if required)
Titanium caliper bolts.

Add the spacer and 4 copper washers for the banjos and this is plug and play for a Monster with an electronic speedo.
Price upon application.

P.S. Standard Monster front mudguard goes straight on, no mods. I just thought, you'll need 12 @ M8 x 20 disc bolts too!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 27-01-2024 at 08:15 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 09:18 PM   #44
Nasher

Oh Fek Gaz

How much lower profile would the heads of the disc bolts need to be for clearance?
I'm sure some are very low profile dome heads.

And could a small amount be taken out of the body of the speedo drive to help?
Old 27-01-2024, 09:23 PM   #45
Nasher

For example these later bike ones have lower profile heads and are 20mm long:
https://www.stein-dinse.com/de/ducat...7913991A-.html