UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 1100 evo Lambda sensor post-Rexxer question

Old 31-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
1100 evo Lambda sensor post-Rexxer question

Hi all,

I've just had my DP ECU Rexxer'd by Neil at Cornerspeed, therefore the lambdas and exhaust valve are now surplus to requirements. Neil mentioned to disconnect the lambda sensors when I'm reassembling the bike and just tuck the wires up inside the bike somewhere.

Reading a number of threads on here I'm a tiny bit confused. Do I need to plug anything into the lambda connectors, or can I just 'hide' them in the bike?

I'll probably remove the actual sensors and fit plugs, just for tidiness, and at some point I might remove the exhaust valve too, if only for space to keep a disc lock under the seat. But for now I just want to get the thing back together and get out on it!

Any advice appreciated.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
if the ecu has been told already not to look for them, all good.
cable tie, so they can’t fall on hot pipes, melt etc.
YOUR SITUATION :-)

ducee etc. eliminators fool an unflashed ecu into thinking they still work.

if the ecu has fault codes due to lamda sensor problems, they may need clearing before ecu will accept reflash

someone shout if they believe i’m wrong, if we’re really lucky nellie might even spot this thread and confirm
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Uncle Bob

Yeah he told me that they are disabled and to just disconnect them, I just got a bit confused after reading various threads talking about O2 eliminators as to whether I needed them or not, but it sounds like I just have to tie up the wires.

I've located some M18x1.5 O2 blanking plugs for when I remove the sensors on eBay.
Old 31-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Luddite

You should notice a marked improvement in low-speed running following your remap, Bob. I'm assuming you did the "three bar TPS reset" when you reinstalled the ECU?

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55198

As usual, slob is correct in what he says - you must unplug the lambdas from the loom otherwise their signals will confuse the remapped ECU.

It's advisable to protect the exposed connectors from moisture either with some silicon grease or with some proper blanking plugs.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...08&postcount=5

More information on lambda removal here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54450

Let us know what you think of the remap once you've had a chance to try it. Note that tickover might be a bit erratic for a couple of hundred miles until the "auto adaptive parameters" have relearned all the relevant settings.

If you're thinking of removing the exhaust valve servo, I've done that too and can confirm that the space it frees up is just the right size and shape for a disk lock.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
Uncle Bob

Awesome info, as usual. Thanks Luddite.

Neil did mention about the reset procedure to be fair to him, and also I should mention that I only put the ECU in the post last night at 5pm and he called me at 1pm today to let me know it was done! Great service so far, and although I've yet to actually ride the bike I'm very hopeful that it has transformed it into the bike that so many of you report that it can be.

Another newb question, if you don't mind? How do the lambda sensors physically disconnect from the wires? I had a quick nose at lunchtime and they seemed pretty solid. Are they like plugs, or do they unscrew or something?

Looks like I would be better off getting or making up some plug blanks or whatever they're called then, as per your link, rather than grease or tape. Another mission, but in for a penny and all that...
Old 31-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
Uncle Bob

Looking into this further it would appear that I may have got the wrong end of the stick, and that the lambda wires do not disconnect at the actual sensor end but further up the wires by means of another connector... If this is true it definitely would make more sense LOL!
Old 31-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Looking into this further it would appear that I may have got the wrong end of the stick, and that the lambda wires do not disconnect at the actual sensor end but further up the wires by means of another connector... If this is true it definitely would make more sense LOL!
Yes, you're right, Bob, the lambdas disconnect at two separate plugs; the front sensor is above the exhaust behind the fuse box and the rear one is under the saddle sitting within the rear subframe rail. Both are on the right hand side.

When you find the plugs, it will be obvious how they separate.
Old 31-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #8
Uncle Bob

Thank you so much Luddite for the clarification. Honestly the advice (and time) you guys give to others on this forum is really something else.

Oh and I just ordered that blanking plug kit from eBay from that link you provided earlier. I should be all sorted by mid-week, when doubtless I'll be looking for the next thing to do...

Expect more questions, then. :-)

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 31-05-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Old 31-05-2019, 11:29 PM   #9
Luddite

Quote:
Honestly the advice (and time) you guys give to others on this forum is really something else.
Happy to help, Bob.

I'm tempted to say "you meet the nicest people on a Ducati" but I think Honda got there first!

By the way, when you make up your blanking plugs, you don't need the metal pins, just use the black box and plug up the wiring holes with the blind bungs.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:33 AM   #10
Uncle Bob

Based on recent experience I'm inclined to agree actually. Last weekend I was up in the Lakes, and one day I was wearing a Ducati t-shirt. On two different occasions on the same day (one in a bar and one in a shop) I was asked "Have you got one?" followed by ten minutes of bike chat and the inevitable swappage of smartphone pics both times.

It's never happened to me while wearing other bike branded shirts, however it's probably just as well since my answer would have been simply "No"!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:32 AM   #11
slob

I do need to crack on with upgrading forum for ‘like buttons’ etc don’t I!

ps thanks luddite i forgot waterproofing the connectors, working on the bike ‘live’ would have reminded me

thuli and I were once helped in the back of beyond by a guy who saw an HD t-shirt and a wheel change happening (odd size tyre, Sunday afternoon on R62 ZA)

Last edited by slob; 01-06-2019 at 05:44 AM..
Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
Uncle Bob

So I did promise more noob questions...

The bike is back together after the Rexxer flashed ECU and I've disconnected both lambda sensors from the loom and also removed the exhaust valve motor. I just need to get a spanner big enough to remove the sensors from the exhaust! Thought I had one. I don't.

The sensor near the horizontal cylinder looks like a bit of a tight squeeze, and so far I haven't worked out how to get the disconnected plug out out from between the frame and the engine...

The question for today is: Is it OK to leave the cable for the exhaust valve motor in place? I presume that the valve is held open by spring tension?
Old 04-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Luddite

Quote:
The question for today is: Is it OK to leave the cable for the exhaust valve motor in place? I presume that the valve is held open by spring tension?
Yes, the default position for the valve is open whether the cables are connected or not. If you look at the engine side of the exhaust you'll see a coil spring wound around the valve spindle to hold it open.

This is what it looks like when open...

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
slob

If removing servo and cables (and reflash) I was taught to lockwire the actuator arm open, if by some remote chance the spring breaks, you still have it held open. Maybe overkill but always tried to keep the boss happy.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #15
Uncle Bob

Great, thanks guys.

Did you have any issues removing the O2 sensors from the exhaust? Did you do it with the exhaust still on the bike?