UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Monster 695 engine problems...

Old 26-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Plasticmorph

Monster 695 engine problems...

Hi! Hoping someone can shed some light on some issues we’re having. The main problem is best described in the video here, right at the end. Please excuse my french. https://youtu.be/4njr18EeWXg

For context, this 2007 695 (my girlfriend’s) was driven into 5 years ago causing a lot of damage to ancillary parts but the important stuff seems ok. Sadly the bike then sat in a family friends garage for 5 years waiting for someone with the inclination to get it back on the road. So 10 days ago we got it shipped down and started work. Since arrival, we’ve done belts, oil change, oil, fuel and air filters, spark plugs and lots of other unrelated bits. Luckily the tank had been drained but I suspect some old fuel sat in the hoses. A couple of days ago, I tried to fire it up for the first time. Cranked it without plugs initially to get some lubrication around and then went for it. Initially, it only ran on the vertical cylinder and with some cajoling and draining fuel lines it then worked on both. Presumably just clogged injector. It will eventually idle on its own but it seems to need the fast idle lever pulled for a very long time. We have a 696 for comparison and on a warm day like today it barely needs any help from the fast idle(fake choke thing)

Once warmed up, it starts making a loud bang periodically. It doesn’t sound like a normal exhaust pop to me and I can’t really tell where it’s coming from. Can anyone give any guidance on what might be causing this issue? Normally I’d keep trying to see if I could diagnose it but I’m really worried about damaging things by allowing it to go on.
Old 27-05-2019, 01:13 AM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Is it possible that you got the cam belt timing wrong when you did the change?

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=57109
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
^^^^ what he says - one tooth on the belt out may cause either the inlet or exhaust valve to be open when it should be shut - igniting fuel in the inlet manifold/airbox
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
It does sound like that and a pretty easy thing to double check- I remember fitting a new cam chain to a Honda CB100 when I was a kid and getting it one tooth out but that would stay running albeit with lots of smoke and rough running.

Presumably as the motor was turned over by hand without the plugs there enough clearance between valves and pistons to be one tooth out without damage on the 695 motor?

Tags