UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Shock length 1100 evo

Old 11-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #46
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
If you look on that torque setting sheet I referred to, Ryan, the recommended grease (unless otherwise stated) is molybdenum disulphide and the torque settings are calculated with that grease applied where appropriate.

I don't know what the comparative lubrication properties of copper and moly grease are but one of the benefits of moly grease is that, even when the gooey bit is washed away or squeezed or dried out, the molybdenum additive remains on the metal surfaces to provide lubrication, a bit like rubbing a pencil on a squeaky hinge.

Copper slip has 2 advantages.

1/ Acts as an locking as well as an anti-seize product. (as with Moly if the grease gets washed away it leaves the copper particles trapped between the threads and stops metal to metal contact.

2/ has a very high melting point, that is why it is used on exhaust header bolts and on the back of brake pads.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #47
Rrawlings

Bike: M1100evo
Back together again now. Will get a spring later but for now I’m happy. Looks much better with the pillion pegs gone just need the rain to sod off then I can check the back brake and get the shock set although I just used the settings from the old one for now then can tweak from there.

Thanks again for all the help
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #48
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
Back together again now. Will get a spring later but for now I’m happy. Looks much better with the pillion pegs gone.
Good news! At least you know you won't have any problems removing the shock when you get your new spring.

What exhaust hanger did you get? Evotech?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #49
Rrawlings

Yeah I went evo tech. The tail tidy and crash bungs are theirs so thought I’d keep it in the family. Next time should be plain sailing as you say. Just need to decide on what is next might be a subtle few bits of carbon but might have to be tyres. I’m planning on going to 3 sisters in Wigan for a track evening so will definitely depend on how pr4’s do there before I go for a blast at Cadwell
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 05:25 AM   #50
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
Yeah I went evo tech. The tail tidy and crash bungs are theirs so thought I’d keep it in the family. Next time should be plain sailing as you say. Just need to decide on what is next might be a subtle few bits of carbon but might have to be tyres. I’m planning on going to 3 sisters in Wigan for a track evening so will definitely depend on how pr4’s do there before I go for a blast at Cadwell

Don't know about PR4's, but use these on track days and road.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's, awesome tyre
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote