UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Shock length 1100 evo

Old 12-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
Rrawlings

Bike: M1100evo
Shock length 1100 evo

Please can somebody tell me the length of the shock for an 1100 evo. I have spent ages searching and found nothing.
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
Luddite

You're in luck (again!) Ryan. I've changed the shock on mine twice so I've got quite a bit of useless information on suspension spec.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56541

The stock Sachs shock is 59.5mm long with a progressive spring 165mm long (uncompressed). Stock preload is 15mm and maximum rear wheel travel is 148mm.

Hope that helps. (What are you planning??)

Last edited by Luddite; 13-05-2019 at 11:26 AM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Rrawlings

Some more great reading thanks mate. Do you have a length between the two bolts? I have the chance of a cheap Nitron shock that’s from a street triple and just wondering if they are the same length without stripping both bikes. To be fair compared to the Daytona I recently got rid of the Evo feels much more planted and pleasant to ride on the same roads and I’d spent a fair bit on getting that set right so I might do nothing
Old 13-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Luddite

Sorry, Ryan, I had a bit of a senior moment there! 59.5mm is the stroke not the length.

The actual length between the centres of the two mounting holes is 294.5mm.
Old 13-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Luddite

Another thought - if you're getting a shock that wasn't originally designed for the Monster, make sure it has an adequate stroke length and also check the spring rate before fitting it. The Monster shock bolts directly to the swinging arm and if you get a shock designed for a bike with a linkage, the spring rate may be way out. Springs are easily changed though and you can even fit a better spring to the standard shock (as in my other thread).

For guidance, the stock spring is progressive but I've never been able to find out the actual weight range of the spring rates.

The standard Öhlins on the 1100S is 130N/mm and the general consensus seems to be that that's too firm.

The Öhlins DU737, which is an option for all the 696/796/1100s, comes with a 115N/mm spring.

For what it's worth, I'm 80kg in riding gear and I've settled on 105N/mm.
Old 13-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Luddite

A quick look on the Öhlins and Nitron sites suggests you might be lucky.

Öhlins gives the Street Triple shock length as 290 - 290.5mm so, too short. However, the Nitron shock (NTR R1) appears to have adjustable ride height by way of a threaded upper eye so you should be able to wind it out to match the Evo length. I'm assuming that the Nitron bushes are the same width and diameter as the Evo's but that's something else you'd need to check. They could be changed easily enough if necessary.

I can't find the stroke length of the Nitron shock though.

If you're looking at one of the higher spec Nitron shocks with the fixed remote reservoir, I don't think that would fit as there's no room for the reservoir.
Old 13-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
Rrawlings

That makes sense. I might have to dig a bit deeper into the spec of the shock then from Nitron. If not an option I might just try the spring swap in the Sachs shock. The Öhlins is tempting but may cause death by wife so soon after buying the bike unless I can get one on eBay cheap
Old 13-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
Luddite

The spring swap is quite a cost effective mod as they're about £75 from any Öhlins supplier. The model number for the Evo is 01092-xx (the -xx is a two digit code for the spring rate - e.g. -41 is 115N/mm).

And don't forget to post up some photos!
Old 13-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #9
Rrawlings

I’ve tried on my phone and iPad but I can’t seem to be able to upload photos.

I might send nitron an email tomorrow to see if the street triple shock is suitable, it’s the ntr so should physically fit, if not i’ll get a spring for the Sachs. Cheers for the advice much appreciated
Old 13-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
I’ve tried on my phone and iPad but I can’t seem to be able to upload photos.
Try using a photo hosting site like www.postimages.org/signup.

Once you've uploaded your picture, click on the 'share' icon and select the 'hotlink for forums' address, copy it and paste it into your post.

If you preview the post before submitting it, the picture will appear in the preview if you've done it correctly
Old 13-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
Rrawlings

Hopefully this has worked from my little trundle out on Sunday morning
Old 13-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
Luddite

Quote:

⚡Electrifying!⚡

It looks like you've found yourself a nice, unmolested, example there with some useful mods.

Enjoy.
Old 13-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #13
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:

Very molestable, sorry, meant Moddable
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
Uncle Bob

How do you find those PR4s? Were they on the bike when you got it? I've only tried them on my 696 (and think they're excellent) however I'm considering putting them on the evo.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
Rrawlings

The PR4s were on when I got it and only done 100 miles without turning a corner between fitting and me getting the evo. I’ll be honest I’ve ridden the bike twice since I picked it up and I would say so far they seem very good. I expected them to be more touring biased than they are and was very impressed with the way the tyres and bike felt on a spirited ride on some of my favourite local roads. Not sure what they’d be like on a track day and will have to give them a thrash in the Dales to see what they really do.

As for mods yeah I’m poised to do some stuff but want to keep it fairly understated, although with the noise I’m going to struggle, maybe a bit more carbon to match the termis, shock, ditch the pillion pegs but need a decent bracket and a really good clean/detail