UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 1100 Evo mods - an addicts tale

Old 10-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #46
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Great minds...! I talked to Craig at Moto Rapido last year about doing just that. When I found out the cost was about £80, I went off the idea! I've thought about spraying it with a black wrinkle finish to match the yokes but I'm not sure if that would look better or not.

Just pop down to Halfords and get a can of black Hammerite
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #47
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Great minds...! I talked to Craig at Moto Rapido last year about doing just that. When I found out the cost was about £80, I went off the idea! I've thought about spraying it with a black wrinkle finish to match the yokes but I'm not sure if that would look better or not.
I had mine powder coated.

wasn't that expensive to do.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #48
Jimi216

Bike: M1100evo
Luddite

Got myself a new DID gold chain as it's needing a new (shiny) one, but really struggling with the rear sprocket. Been on to design corse and can't decide between the AEM factory set up or the CNC Racing setup. I love the look of both. But how many miles will I get out of the aluminium sprockets? I have looked at Renthal (tried and tested on previous bikes) and love their products but fancy something a little more special.

Any suggestions or experience of these products?
Jimi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #49
Luddite

Hi Jimi

My gold DID x-ring is fine. I had a gold Afam on my S2R, which faded quite quickly. But the finish on the DID is much better and still looks as good as new. Also, the Afam only had coloured outer plates while all the DID plates are gold. So thumbs up for the DID.

I've changed the front sprocket for a 14 tooth Renthal and that's fine. I've no experience with aluminium sprockets but logic would suggest they're not going to last as long as steel.

When I need to change my sprockets, I'm going to try a Supersprox Stealth sprocket (part no. 733-525-39-Silver). They have a steel chain ring mated to an aluminium centre so you get weight saving and durability. The centres also come in black, gold or red https://www.supersprox.com/superspro...lth-sprockets/

For the front, I'll try an Ognibene silent sprocket

http://www.ognibenechaintech.com/en/...i-OE.html#null

These have a rubber damper like the OE sprockets and are supposed to be quieter. I certainly noticed a bit more 'chirping' noises when I changed to the Renthal. Whether that was because of the lack of damping rubbers or because it was one tooth smaller, I don't know.

PS it looks like Damien has gone for a stealth sprocket in your other thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55139

Last edited by Luddite; 10-05-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #50
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
I had mine powder coated.

wasn't that expensive to do.
That's a thought, jonzi. The Evotech exhaust hanger has a nice crinkle black powder coat finish. If I could replicate that, that would look good, I think.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #51
Jimi216

Cheers Luddite
Jimi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #52
Luddite

I knew I was tempting fate when I said I'd stopped buying stuff for the Evo! So here are the latest additions...

When I was messing about with the Lidl endoscope, (looking inside the vertical cylinder), I noticed that the plug cap seemed looser than usual. A quick check revealed that the collar that attaches the cap to the plug had two splits down its length, which the horizontal cylinder cap doesn't have:

I did wonder if this was some form of expansion joint, (to take into account the higher temperatures of the vertical cylinder), but that wasn't the case. So it's either just worn out or my ham-fisted attempts at removal have taken their toll.

Anyway, whatever the reason, it gave me an excuse to get these nice red silicone leads by Magnecore http://www.magnecor.co.uk/ from these people http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk.

They appear well made and fit well, being exactly the same length as the originals. They claim to be a higher spec. than OE and, while I can't detect any difference, I can say that they do their job perfectly and you get both leads for about the price of one Ducati replacement.

So, if your leads are needing replacement soon, I can recommend these.

And then, while I was poking around the cylinder heads, I treated myself to a pair of these camshaft covers from MVS in Germany http://www.mvs-performance.de/

Like all MVS stuff, they are beautifully machined and are straight replacements for the big, black lumps that were on there before. They nicely complement my MVS rocker cover too!

So, that's it - no more spending (well, this week anyway!).

Last edited by Luddite; 01-07-2019 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Escape from Photobucket
Old 09-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #53
Petej

Cracking Spec! Just followed you lead and ordered the tinted Screen! Exhaust all removed and in process of polishing, and I went for the evotech hanger! Cheers for sharing the mod list.

Pete
Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #54
Luddite

Smile

Great, another addict!

Hope you enjoy your Evo as much as I do, Pete.

With the screen, I think it took over three weeks to arrive but, as it's only £10 and postage was free, I was happy to wait. If you're a but OCD like me, you might want to open up the mounting holes a little with a round file for that perfect fit.

Bear in mind the exhaust polishing is not a one-off; it will start to go bronze again after a few hundred miles. But after you've done it once, it's no real chore to buff it up again every few weeks or so (that Solvol stuff is wipe on/wipe off so is really quick to use).

As for the Evotech hanger, absolutely top quality design and finish. You won't be disappointed! Excellent customer service too: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...7&postcount=11

Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #55
Petej

First ride out yesterday, love how nimble it is! And just the character of a Ducati.

Yeah I'll do the same on the screen, no real rush new it would take a while to come.

Yeah certainly not a one off job, I'll give it a quick buff from time to time but worth it for the looks, only thing that really lets the bike down from a cleanliness point of view.

Went for the hanger after receiving the tail tidy, really good finish and factory looks.

Look forward to seeing what you have planned next........
Old 10-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #56
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
What a gorgeous bike, with possibly the best engine fitted to a Ducati (air c00led is best)
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #57
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petej View Post
Look forward to seeing what you have planned next........
There's not much left now on my shopping list, Pete. Maybe some LSL bars and different risers.

If you're looking for some inspiration on what you can really do with an Evo, have a look at Merlin's baby:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55254

That's a real Evo evolution!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #58
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
What a gorgeous bike, with possibly the best engine fitted to a Ducati (air c00led is best)
Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to be able to do a custom build like yours but, as I lack the knowledge, skills, resources and definitely patience, I'll have to make do with bolt-ons!

Like you, I'm a big fan of the air-cooled lumps. The best I've experienced, as delivered, was the twin spark unit in my S2R - a very sweet motor. Unfortunately, the Evo engine is hampered by emission/noise control paraphernalia, which screws up the low speed running. But, once that's removed and the ECU remapped, the engine is a peach. My best one (so far!).
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #59
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to be able to do a custom build like yours but, as I lack the knowledge, skills, resources and definitely patience, I'll have to make do with bolt-ons!

Like you, I'm a big fan of the air-cooled lumps. The best I've experienced, as delivered, was the twin spark unit in my S2R - a very sweet motor. Unfortunately, the Evo engine is hampered by emission/noise control paraphernalia, which screws up the low speed running. But, once that's removed and the ECU remapped, the engine is a peach. My best one (so far!).
Yep 1000ie DS motor is best 2V by a country mile, the 1100 might be ok, not tried one but from posts on here its the low speed efi that messes things up. Oh and the 1100S is probably better than the Evo on paper at least, even if it is a bit down on overall HP, so what? The S s looks better to IMHO. But if you bolt all those goodies on then its all good.

Oh btw food for thought you need a yoke mounted steering damper and a carbon subframe and maybe, possibly 1100s wheels or BST.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #60
bazread

You've just racked another £4K to £5K shopping list Darren !!