UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » M900 Swingarm Options

Old 18-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #16
Flip

Bike: M900
Ha ha!! I was only saying as it's not likely anyone will find a half decent RR pipe these days but it's still possible to get that style made and of better quality that actually fits without the need for tyre levers.
Old 19-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Ah well, it wouldn't fit my bike now anyway

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #18
sparkyman

Thanks for the links etc - very useful stuff, shame the Febur kit is no longer available.

Now considering all options

On the basis that re-positioning shock mounts on the 2000 M900Sie frame is feasible, but machining of crankcases is less than desirable (for many reasons), I guess I'm looking for a single sided arm with a very similarn pivot shaft bearing/bush spacing as the standard swingarm.

Need to get a list together of this dimension for all Ducati single siders to narrow down potential options and investigate in more detail.

If anybody knows of actual dimesions for any, please post whilst I start making enquiries myself......

Thanks for your continued input
Old 19-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The position of the rocker pivot is the same on a M900Sie and an S#R frame.

So if you transplant the whole Rocker, link and arm assy as one, from an S2R or S4R it should all work okay...Provided that the relavant widths are the same or shimable.?

PM me your email. I will send you 3 PDFs with loads of info on S4R suspension, frame and rear wheel.
Old 20-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #20
sparkyman

PM Sent - thanks dude !

Any S*R owner out there able to measure their crankcase width/Pivot shaft gap on Swingarm ?

Still not sure if it will bolt on M900Sie cranckcase (~170mm)

Thanks
Old 27-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #21
sparkyman

Thanks to Gazza for the information on S*R - it's been really useful.

Have now acquired S4R swingarm and looking into frame mods to accept the new rocker arm.

Will try & keep the standard Ohlins unit and have it shortened to suit the new geometry...

...so far so good ...
Old 27-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #22
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

You're welcome.. It was info originally kindly sent to me by Capo.

So are you saying that the S4R rocker is not a straight forward swap into the ie frame?

Re the Ohlins shock, I would personally not cut it up just yet, as it could turn out to not be suitable anyway regarding the internals.
Those shocks are quite sought after as a hop up for the Sachs equiped models. So you could either sell it and cover the cost of an S4R shock or keep it in case you want to revert back to standard at any point.. Exactly the same applies to your Alloy swinging arm too.

Looking forward to some pictures of this project...
Old 27-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #23
crust
rattles when he walks

Back in the day a few people did the 916 arm into a hoop frame conversion. You'll have to weld in a new suspension link pivot point and machine the cases back.

AK did a superb one, not sure he or CK (his wife post on here much now), grunter did one. Might be worth messaging grunter to see if Viv is still in business. He used to machine crankcases for the conversion.

M900DOM did one of the best originals, however I haven't seen him post in years.

Been looking for the early pictures but they don't seem to open anymore
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
sparkyman

[QUOTE=Mr Gazza;526887]You're welcome.. It was info originally kindly sent to me by Capo.

So are you saying that the S4R rocker is not a straight forward swap into the ie frame?

Unfortunately not - The ie rocker has a 70mm pivot, whilst the S*R has a 100mm pivot

The ie rear rocker pin is connected to hoop, whilst the front rocker pin is connected to shock. The ie Rocker is inline, not offset like the S*R. The hoop (link Rod) lower ends on on a different axis to the shock, being mounted on the upper surface of the swigarm whilst the shock lower axis is lower in the swingarm and further forward.

S*R rear rocker pin is for shock, whilst front is for link rod, both lower ends connected to same axis on swingarm, so the overall geometry is quite different but still has the progressive (rising rate) characteristics. Sie Ohlins shock is 325mm centres, whilst the S*R Showa is 300mm centres (I believe - can anybody confirm the Showa centres for me ?)

The R/H rocker mount on the ie frame may be in correct alignment, which would mean I only have to relocate the L/H rocker mount on the tube by shifting it 30mm to the left. Worse case is I'll have to re-locate both mounts

I believe the vertical distance of the ie rocker mount centres from the swingarm pivot centres is the same as the S*R and is in the same fore/aft position relative to swingarm pivot, so it's just a question of re-aligning one (or maybe both) rocker mounts on the frame cross member to align the whole assembly and accomodate the 100mm width of the S*R rocker boss

M900Sie Ohlins Shock: Kais-Ohlins advise my 325mm unit can be shortened to 300mm (As S*R showa shock ??), but I'm told there are different ways of achieving this. Still awaiting further information and prices to see if it's viable. The Ohlins remote unit is fully adjustable, not sure about the S*R units which have rebound only ? (Showa?). Other issue with Showa piggyback type shock is a frame tube requires crimping to clear the reservoir, so trying to avoid this if poss....

Last edited by sparkyman; 28-04-2016 at 10:18 PM..
Old 28-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #25
sparkyman

[QUOTE=crust;526899]Back in the day a few people did the 916 arm into a hoop frame conversion. You'll have to weld in a new suspension link pivot point and machine the cases back.

Thanks for this - I did read this a week or so again, but dropped that route (and others) as for the need to machine crankcases. Opted for the S*R Tubular SSA for aesthetics as much as anything - it's just right for this project.....and SHOULD require less fettling ....
Old 28-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #26
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I look forward to seeing a 796/1100 one done on a early bike. Presuming all would be relatively easy other than mounting a pivot on the side of the frame. May not be that simple though. Scrambler is the same but dual arm swinger. I have seen a scrambler though fitted with a single sider.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #27
sparkyman

..parts now coming together, but I need the lower R/H shock pin for the S*R Swingarm

Ducati P/N: 75011111A Tried to attach photo, but my 9kB JPEG fails to upload (??)

- anybody have one lying around?

Alternatively need to find an online Ducati parts supply - my nearest dealership is 100 miles away

Thanks
Old 30-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #28
DrD

The online Ducati fiche (with photos) at Stein Dinse useful: http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php
Old 30-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Moto Rapido are brilliant for any Ducati spares and no further away than your phone and letterbox.

Moto Rapido 01962 877998 then press 1 for parts and speak to Luke or Craig.

Photos need to go through a web host.
I use http://tinypic.com/ but there are others. Resize pictures for email then upload to tinypic. Paste the entire line of text from the box "for message boards and forums", onto your post.....Then just keep the pictures coming...
Old 01-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #30
sparkyman