UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » M900 Swingarm Options

Old 17-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
sparkyman

M900 Swingarm Options

Hi all

Is there an absolute Ducati authority in here who can shed any light on swingarm options for M900 (MY 2000) frame ?

I acquired a "special" a while ago, bit tatty and not well done, the aim being to ride it this season and then sort it out properly, make it my own so to speak.

I'm wondering if it's possible to fit an alternative swingarm from another Model, even a single sided S2R/S4R etc.

The issue here is that the 2000 has the rose-jointed "hoop" which forms part of the progressive link suspension, which may limit alternative set-ups or rule them out altogether ?

Have read through Albies thread, where he fitted S2R arm to 2003 M900, but the 2003 rear end didn't use the Hoop setup, so I can't use his build as a reliable reference.

Hoping there is a Ducati supremo on here who can advise what (if any) swingarm options I may have .... ?

Thanks
Old 17-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I very much doubt there is a different swingarm that is a straight fit, especially a single-sider. Of course (almost) anything can be made to fit with the right fabrication skills...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
916 was a popular choice, there was a company called Febur that made a bolt on version but they make hens teeth look common now. It can still be made to fit but there will be a load of machining and fabrication. The Febur had a mount to reposition the shock.

Basically you can fit any swing arm off any bike you like. It just comes down to how much work/cash you are willing to put into it. There are no 'bolt on' options anymore unless you are very llucky and find one on the bay for silly money. I looked into it once myself. I think the tubular s4r/s2r type are slightly easier to do but not by much. You still have to remount the shock etc.

Edit - I think these guys use to make a kit as well but doubt it's still available http://metmachex.net/swingarm-prices/

Last edited by Dirty; 18-04-2016 at 12:00 AM..
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The later bikes without the hoop would be an easier starting point for a single sider. I imagine the frame would be different on the earlier bikes too If you can find an 888 swing arm that would probably be a more straightforward fit, some of the race bikes had braced swing arms but again probably even rarer than the Febur. Metmachex do some I think. they come up on ebay every now and again.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You'll be looking at £730 for a new Metmachex!

http://metmachex.net/

http://metmachex.net/wp-content/uplo...RICE-LIST-.pdf

Old 18-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
But they are just standard arms, beautifully engineered and made arms but standard, no single sided conversions available afaik

Old 18-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, I know. Sparkyman just wanted some options. I picked one up off ebay for around £300. Spmetimes Metmachex put them on ebay too with buy it now price lower than £730

Old 18-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

They are pretty. I'd pay £300 for one in a heartbeat

Old 18-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
sparkyman

..thanks for quick replies - seems it's not straightforward, but I'm re-working the frame with new tabs/pick-ups here an there, so relocating a shock mount would also be feasible

Does anybody know what the swingarm pivot inner width is of an S2R/S4R swingarm ?

Will check out theall the names & links supplied this evening - thanks to everybody for your input
Old 18-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Have a look at this..

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50319

Then read post #17 for details.... I don't know if the bike started off with a hoop or not, but you get the idea.

P.S. JMo must have described her conversion in great detail in a dedicated thread somewhere, but I can't find reference to it..Any veterans know where it is , what it's called??

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 18-04-2016 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Where's JMo's swingarm thread?
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Have a look at this..

Then read post #17 for details.... I don't know if the bike started off with a hoop or not, but you get the idea.

P.S. JMo must have described her conversion in great detail in a dedicated thread somewhere, but I can't find reference to it..Any veterans know where it is , what it's called??
No, Jen's bike was a 620 so had the later type rear suspension without the hoop.

I remember her doing the conversion, along with all the other mods she did to Smeegal over the years but no idea where the threads are located now.

Weren't they all on the old server and lost into the world of cyberspace like a lot of our old memberships?
Old 18-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
Thank you everyone...

The sun was shining yesterday so I took it for a blast from Marlborough down to Brighton (to see some friends) and back - all those old favourite roads I'd not ridden for ages - the 272 from Winchester to Petersfield, then over to South Harting and down the classic B2141 to Chichester, past Goodwood, the 285 down Dunton Hill to Petworth, then the 283 and of course that lovely section from Washington Roundabout via Styning to Shoreham... coming back via Bury Hill, Goodwood again, then up and over to Alton, and the 339 to Basingstoke on a sunny evening - perfect! You guys in the South/South East will know those roads well from the early UKMOC monthly ride-outs - great days!

Anyway, the bike felt as awesome as ever, and perfect for those kind of roads! You won't be disappointed. I wasn't.

Jx
Now I have just re-read this I am going to have to ride that route again, as like Jen said back then- those roads are perfect Monster territory and I used to love the B2141 and not ridden it for years now.
Old 18-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Have a look at this..

You don't know how tempted I was to buy that bike. The RR exhaust and Febur arm were tugging me so hard.

Luckily the injection system and the fact I'd only just done my dry clutch conversion talked me out of it.

Old 18-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
You don't know how tempted I was to buy that bike. The RR exhaust and Febur arm were tugging me so hard.
It wasn't a RR exhaust, it was a custom made jobbie by a company called Zorstec up in Bradford.
The bike was dropped off in the afternoon and the brief given to Andy to copy the lines but give better ground clearance and without the welded seams of the RR pipes and by the following day it was done and a cracking job it was too!!

http://www.zorstecexhaustsolutions.co.uk/
Old 18-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #15
Dirty
Bockloks

Ok, it's not an RR exhaust in the same way a Metmachex arm is not an M900 arm