UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Biker Friendly Cafes/Hotels etc » Touring Ireland?

Old 15-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Touring Ireland?

So, after some inspiration from another member (Thanks Char) I'm thinking of planning a week away to Ireland. Never toured or even been on holiday on my own before, but thinking it might do me some good... I need the break from work and I have no desire to mope around on my Birthday!

Before I go delving in to maps and websites, was wondering if any other member can recommend any places to visit or stay over there? Will be on a budget so will have to avoid the 4 star hotels...

Any other advice also welcome....
Old 15-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
bex

Funny, was just chatting to Martin about this yesterday. Depends if you're going north or south etc?

On another note we were talking about getting over there as a bigger group maybe next summer (this ones pretty full already), to catch some road racing and good roads. Bacon sarnies on my mum also on the menu
Old 15-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I'd definitely stick to the south, even just looking at google maps it looks much greener.
If a bloke can travel round Ireland with an old fridge, I'm sure you can manage it on the S4R.

Shuffy has in-laws over there so he'd be a good source of where to AVOID !

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
If a bloke can travel round Ireland with an old fridge, I'm sure you can manage it on the S4R.
Aren't they the same thing all pipes and stuff?

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
J.P
No more Monster...

Yes, and once you get Jim on me on the bikes, we're pretty 'cool' too.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
samieb

Sounds good Jim, if the weather holds you'll have a good week over there. Wouldn't mind trying Ireland again either 1 year in the near future, but it would have to be Southern Ireland though the North (NW200) takes forever and a day to reach.

AS Bex mentioned however 2011 has now been booked for a Mugello trip so will look at my Crystal Ball for next year and beyond.
Old 15-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Gordon H

I've driven most of the roads through Cork, West Cork, Kerry and Galway - no speed cameras and unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years, the local police aren't too bothered.....

Road surfaces are the main problem - for potholes read craters, road markings are optional and adherance to any kind of highway code by the locals is at best, hit and miss.....

Traffic is light but a lot of agricultural traffic which means mud - and lots of it........

Love to take a bike over Heally Pass and Gap of Dunloe........

Sounds good!!
Old 15-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Rally
Taking life easy........

Jim,
I've been there on a number of occasions over the years, last year was the most recent. The South is great. I would ride through Wales from yours to Pembroke, ferry to Rosslare and head for Cork, Limerick, Killarny, ring of Kerry and Dingle and then to Galway. (Check out the Sears Pub at the dockside!) Make sure you see the Moah Cliffs, granite at its best. The roads are okay, but rough around the 'Rings', not many cameras, but there are two on the road to Cork now. Lastly, go from Galway to Dublin, a great road (Check out Temple Bar) and then ferry back to Holyhead. A55 back across to hester and home.

I have some B & B phone numbers on that route if you want them?
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Just make sure you miss Killarney, it's full of Americans 'searching for their roots'

Ireland has got seriously expensive in recent years so make sure you take lots of spending money to fund the Guinness. It is really fabulous over there, a completely different drink from over here.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
Gordon H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Just make sure you miss Killarney, it's full of Americans 'searching for their roots'
Killarney is terrible - those bloody tourist cart drivers are the worst - won't take no for an answer.

On a good day the road round the end of the Dingle peninsula is stunning - Conner Pass is an experience too - just don't hold up one of the locals if he is on a mission!!
Old 15-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
The coast road from Portrush towards Belfast is on a world heritage site, amazing road, plus if you time your trip right you could take in some real road racing.
Old 15-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
vtaggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The coast road from Portrush towards Belfast is on a world heritage site, amazing road, plus if you time your trip right you could take in some real road racing.
As Bex will confirm the Antrim coast road http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_road...Ireland)#Route is a brill road and on my front door, the north is cheaper, has better roads and very easily you can visit Donegal in the north of the south (only in Ireland). Start with breakfast in Caffe Spice the best eating house in Larne http://caffespice.com/home.cfm (if I say so myself), ride onto Portrush http://portrush.org.uk/ , then onto Letterkenny in Donegal http://www.letterkennyguide.com/ just in time to enjoy a few pints Bring it on
Old 24-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #13
countvonaltibar

Can only second vtaggart's comments above. The Antrim coast road is absolutely stunning on a good day you get excellent views across the North Channel to Scotland. A great road for the motorbike as it's not too taxing to ride and you can take in the views safely along the way. Might visit that Cafe Spice, I always seem to pass through Larne without stopping.
Old 24-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post

Ireland has got seriously expensive in recent years so make sure you take lots of spending money to fund the Guinness. It is really fabulous over there, a completely different drink from over here.
Why not "do" Scotland instead?

Its lovely!!!!!
Old 24-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #15
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H View Post
Road surfaces are the main problem - for potholes read craters, road markings are optional and adherance to any kind of highway code by the locals is at best, hit and miss.
That sums up the road conditions in Cork and Waterford pretty accurately, in my experience.
You should definitely try to catch a road race somewhere. They seem to run them very frequently, often on consequetive weekends, so there should be one somewhere, sometime during your visit.
And of course, make sure you spend at least one evening amongst bar-room musicians.

I'm definitely up for a group jaunt to Ireland in the near future.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: