UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Brake issues

Old 19-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #16
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I think you said earlier, Ryan, that you'd already stripped and cleaned the caliper so you should be able to push the pistons in with your fingers without too much resistance. If you do that with the cap off the reservoir (surrounded by paper towels in case of overflow) you should see the level rise quickly with perhaps a small 'squirt' above the bypass port if it's clear. If the level in the reservoir doesn't rise (or only rises very slowly), then maybe a blocked, or partially blocked, port could be the problem.

You did say that the pushrod looked a little grotty, which might indicate that there could also be corrosion within the master itself perhaps blocking the port.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Looking back through the notes I keep on all the maintenance on my Monster, I note that the highest maintenance item has been the rear brake.
I had persistent problems. Warped disc, high pad wear, wear in the torque rod rose joints, dragging when wheeling the bike around and weirdly a problem discovered at MOT time, where the back wheel could not be rotated backwards. This seemed to be due to the pads wearing to a wedge shape and behaving a bit like a sprag clutch.

Now the rolling road brake test had always showed that the brake was slow to pull off after application, but inspection showed that the pistons were nice and free for their full travel. Fluid flowed into the res' when they were pushed back and the master appeared to work properly.
However the only thing that transformed the operation to a healthy normal was to replace the master cylinder complete.
I think the seals get gradually more draggy or maybe the return spring gets lazy? Nothing you can put your finger on, but replacing the master was the answer after many false trails.

… And yes I fell foul of the old free play thing many years ago on the very first ride out.
I adjusted virtually all the free play out to get a nice crisp lever action, but soon had the brake bind on solid.
I now make sure there is at least 2mm clearance on the stop, which is a lot of free play at the foot end of the lever.
Old 19-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #18
Rrawlings

The pistons moved around nicely when I gave the caliper a going over, to be fair it wasn’t that bad the pistons were a little sticky one more than the other. When back together and bled up yesterday for he second time I did notice that when the pistons had come out a little pushing one in made the other come out as normal so got my little clamps out to hold one and squeeze the other back in it took a bit more force than I thought it should to push in and the level rise in the reservoir. I cleaned the pushrod and it wasn’t horrendous but wasn’t sparkling either. I then took it for a spin for a couple of miles and it seemed fine. Will try again tomorrow on my way to work which is 9 miles and a mix of all speeds so will know what if anything has changed. If it’s a master I’m going to split the whole system and clean and rebuild the lot just to narrow everything down
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'd say you had plenty of time to change the master. I fannied about with it thinking it wasn't too bad and I'd fixed it, for about three years before I put a new master on.

What a revelation….wished I'd done it three years sooner...just sayin'
Old 19-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #20
Rrawlings

Gazza if I’m in any doubt tomorrow morning I will take your advice and ring Moto Rapido
Old 19-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #21
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
Gazza if I’m in any doubt tomorrow morning I will take your advice and ring Moto Rapido
If you do, don't forget to ask for your 10% UKMOC discount!
Old 20-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #22
Rrawlings

Just started playing up as I pulled into the car park at work so will ring Moto Rapido

Thanks again for all the help guys. Will let you know when I have it sorted
Old 21-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #23
Luddite

Master cylinder it is then. If there's any corrosion in the bore, then it will tend to compress the plastic sleeve that the piston slides in and so restrict its movement.

If you're of a curious nature like me, you might want to strip down the old master cylinder to see if you can positively identify the problem and this is a useful article showing the disassembly process http://www.atomicalex.com/?p=139

The master in the pictures is the rear exit model whereas ours is side exit but I think all the internals should be the same. The problem you'll have, if the piston is stuck, is that you can't easily drift it out as they advise because the exit isn't at the end, it's at 90°.

If you wanted to refurbish it, repair kits are available, not from Brembo or Ducati of course - that would be too easy - but from BMW or KTM. I think this is the kit you'd need https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...T=6&Q=BRA36241

Hopefully you'll soon have a fully functioning rear brake again, Ryan, and I'd be interested to know what you find if you do strip down the old cylinder.
Old 22-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #24
vince53

Bike: M1100s
hi , it's probably the master ,but I had a very similar problem to this yrs ago and it was a flipping brake pipe brake down inside and causing valving fluid would go one way but not return ,took flipping age's to sus it out ?!! I would guess not in this case and probably is the master , but !!! hope you get it sorted * )
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #25
Rrawlings

Don’t say that! Haha. I’ve had sleepless nights thinking about what else could be wrong and knowing my luck it’ll be the abs pump. Hopefully the master will be here midweek and a new pin and spring for the pads then I’ll get cracking
Old 28-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #26
Rrawlings

Well it’s done I just need to get a ride to work this morning to test it out. New master on pushrod cleaned but it wasn’t that bad and all bled up fine. Did notice a huge difference in the fact that with the new master on I could push brake through the system from the calliper up using a big syringe to make sure fluid could flow back. With the old master this was impossible. So Mr Luddite you could be correct on the issue you suggested in the old master cylinder. I’ll update in a few hours when I’ve replicated the journey that caused the problem before
Old 28-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #27
Rrawlings

All good thanks everyone
Old 28-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #28
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
All good thanks everyone
Excellent news. Now get out and enjoy it!
Old 28-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #29
Rrawlings

Hawes tomorrow is my plan
Old 28-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #30
vince53

Bike: M1100s
nice one well done ,, always good to resolve a persistent problem … * )
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote