UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Feels like fuel starvation?

Old 23-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Feels like fuel starvation?

Hi all, things just aint happening with my S2R 1100 Monster. starts easy, ticks over fine, blips great, but start to open the throttle steadily and at about 3K it starts to get a bit rough, by 4k definitely got problems, from then on it feels like fuel starvation, ease off a bit and the motor then responds to more throttle in fact if that's over 5k things can get interesting with the front wheel up in the air, but basically unrideable. So I've replaced the injectors, pressure regulator, the pump and checked the pipes are clear. The ecu was reflashed by Avanti. Any suggestions of where I go from here? All suggestions very welcome. Bitza
Old 24-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
First thoughts would be the spark plugs.... Easy to change.
Moving on, I would go through all the connectors particularly those to the ECU and all the sensors. I had problems with the connector plugs to the top of the injectors on mine...Or at least the previous owner did. I bought the bike for a snip and replaced the Marelli injector plugs.
I had continuity through the harness and up to the plug pins, but when connected, nothing got through.
Old 24-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Darkness

Bike: M900
Have you checked the fuel filter?

And how about the tank vent?
Old 24-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Well having said it felt like "Fuel Starvation" a more accurate description would be: it feels like its fitted with an early (2001) throttle sensor linked up to later (2004) ecu software. Having fitted the later type sensor, it now goes like a train! Which I have to say is quite a relief because I've been trying just about everything suggested here and plenty more too. When I get it really sorted & run it I'll post more info. Thanks for the thoughts anyway. Bitza.
Old 24-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Glad to hear you're making progress with it Bitza.
I realised soon after posting, that you would have needed two dud spark plugs per cylinder to cause any problems!

Good to meet you earlier this month and see your bike in person... Still got Mine mud on my boots...