UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Engine case finish.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Engine case finish.

Hi guys,

Looks like my bike will need more surgery before it's back on the road properly.

Took one of the heads off and then while replacing it the case stud was lifting out of the case as I tightened the head nuts.

Took it apart and a previous owner has heli-coiled the case on a dodgy angle so the bolt doesn't sit straight and then bent it up to fit. So I tried to repair it again but there isn't enough metal to hold the bolt tight enough.

I've got hold of a new engine case for the transplant but I read recently that the paint finish on the old 90's cases is pretty crappy and doesn't fair too well. So I was wondering what your opinions were on here? Is it worth re-painting over the factory finish with a better engine paint or have you guys had better experiences with just the standard paint left on there and it isn't as bad as I've heard?
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I've got a 'new' case to go on my S2R.
Prep was strip all the paint, I used chemical stripper but mild shot blasting might do better but needs good cleaning after. Soda blasting would probably do nicely as it only needs a water wash off.

Then a standard acid etch primer followed by a session in the oven to dry it all nicely.

I've usually used RS paints, they have a good match for frame and engine casings and will make you up a custom match if you have non-standard colours.
Then another bake, very fine wet and dry followed by a top dust of paint and rebake.

Then a satin lacquer, looks fine and matches the other casing.

Past experience says it lasts well as a finish as with all paint the prep is what makes or breaks it.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Macflurry

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

The case I just picked up is new, old stock. So it is a clean factory finish, which is a good start, but after seeing a couple of comments about the standard of the old paintwork I thought it best to get a few peoples opinions on whether it needs upgrading or not.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

If you are talking about a crankcase and the through stud for the head, I believe the crankcases are matched halves you may not be able to change just one as the cross boring for the main bearings /gearbox bearings may not align sufficiently well for the crankshaft/gearbox bearings to rotate freely, I might be wrong but I do remember reading it somewhere
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
Macflurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
If you are talking about a crankcase and the through stud for the head, I believe the crankcases are matched halves you may not be able to change just one as the cross boring for the main bearings /gearbox bearings may not align sufficiently well for the crankshaft/gearbox bearings to rotate freely, I might be wrong but I do remember reading it somewhere
I picked up both halves, so I have a full new case.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
As I understand it engine cases are matched pairs so a mix and match approach is not advisable, they are normally numbered for this reason.
I have had cases cleaned at Sutton Soda Blasting and leave them bare, there is no paint to fall off then.
For an extra few pounds they can also roll the cases in ceramic balls for a while, it gives a nicer finish after cleaning if you don't paint.

If you are going to paint I would suggest looking at http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/ they can clean and coat as a one stop shop.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
Macflurry

Thanks for the link. I'd be interested to call up and see how their frame coating holds up.