UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Hydraulic Clutch Fluid Issue

Old 07-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Ok so that's it installed. bled so that fluid comes out both the slave bleed nipple and master bleed nipple if opened.....I assume that's the sign of a good system! First time doing a clutch

However (rawlings maybe you could help) the clutch action is very light....like feather light, is that correct?

And it makes a fair thud going into first in the shed.....seemed to be a wee bit better when I adjusted the lever span, first to neutral is a doddle.

So any known issues or problems to look out for or am I in the clear so to speak.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The Oberon has a greater mechanical advantage than the original slave, as it has a larger piston. So you will feel a lighter pull at the lever. This does however require a longer travel of the lever to produce the same amount of movement of the clutch pushrod than before. so manipulating the handlebar lever adjustment will give you back the rod travel, so long as there is enough adjustment in the lever. Some unsympathetic souls will tell you to bend the lever forwards! I don't recommend that.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
Ron1000

Cheers gazza, I will not be bending my evotech lever for definite

I had it on setting 3...small hands you see...setting 6 (furthest away) was best for 'thud reduction' . Not so great for my hand span tho, but it's so light now it's not an issue.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

You might even find that another bleed in a couple of days time will improve things? Those slaves are a swine to bleed sometimes and fool you into thinking you have done the job, only to produce air later.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
Ron1000

Was Thinking that, I'm letting it all settle down at the moment and will bleed again later. I have a short journey tomorrow (for essentials officer I promise) so I'll check it tomorrow again in the morning then see how it goes.

Oh side note:
(not political) Nicola Sturgeon has announced lock down until end of may for us Scottish chaps. However I'm hearing bojo might ease things a little for you chaps in the south. Jealous is not the word.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yeah! Well I taxed the Monster this morning because I had an essential journey today that would go in my panniers, then I found the item cheaper on the net. So I don't have the excuse for the ride.

It was £93 for the year, I'm sure it was only 80 something when it was due at the beginning of April? has it gone up in the last month?
Old 07-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
Ron1000

Yes definitely dearer. I noticed it also.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
However (rawlings maybe you could help) the clutch action is very light....like feather light, is that correct?

And it makes a fair thud going into first in the shed.....seemed to be a wee bit better when I adjusted the lever span, first to neutral is a doddle.
What Mr Gazza said! Because the piston is larger, for any given movement at the lever, you'll get less movement of the clutch pushrod but with less effort when compared to the stock unit. So opening up the lever span is often needed.

My Evo always clunks into first and the fact that you can easily select neutral from first suggests all is well. A further check is to put it on the paddock stand, select first and, with the clutch held in, try to rotate the wheel with your hand. It should turn easily even when cold. You'll feel resistance and it won't spin but you should be able to move it without too much effort.

Of course, if you're running out of lever adjustment, perhaps that's just the excuse you need to get some nice ASV levers!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote