UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » 620 speedo

Old 10-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
alitino

620 speedo

Hi

am looking for a speedo for my Monster 620. Been told i've got to buy a new one from a dealer for mega bucks. Can anyone shine any light on my problem........
Old 10-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Same as Zimbo says on your thread here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=24857
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
It looks like you had better start saving up for some new ones, altino
Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Bunny

Are yours smashed, or just the casing broken ? You might be able to get a s/h casing and put your internals in it ?

Someone will say if this isn't possible

Old 10-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
JMo

As the others have said, if the clocks have stopped working/the electronics are bust, then unfortunately your only option is a new set...

However, what exactly is the problem? - if you've just cracked the case/surround or the lens for example, then it is possible to split the clocks (you'll need a small torx socket) and replace those parts - however, you can't buy them seperately new (only a complete clock unit for Ducati) - but try ebay/brakers etc. - I saw a number of clocks at the BMF auto jumble earlier this year - the innards would be no use of course, but the surround/lenses were sound...

xxx
Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
If it's the dials not sweeping, usually you'll get a jerky start sweep at power up, them it's the servo motor. Probably about £10 tops for the component but no one at Minarelli will say squat or even bother to answer mails and Ducati will just smile and ask for your cash.
As I said before on another strand these clocks are pieces of rubbish, they are not well designed (allow water ingress) nor are they durable.. That is they aren't of merchandable quality, Ducati should replace them for labour only at worst. BTW they have a legal liability for 5 years says the sale of goods act. My clocks lasted for about 300 hours runtime maximum over 5 years. Probably similar to yours I'm thinking.
Write to the nice people at Ducati UK and they'll probably offer you a 50% discount on current prices. If they do it kinda indicates they know the clocks aren't exactly anything special, they should given the numbers I'm guessing they've replaced worldwide. Of course I'm only guessing as they do include a non-disclosure element if you agree.
If you feel pissed enough about it go via small claims court and use the sales of goods act, win and a precedent is set so everyones bust clocks get replaced. I was thinking about this route myself but I needed hard info on the fail rate and a strand looking for this got no responses, so I assume people had either just ignored them not working or gone down the hand out from Ducati route so couldn't really say.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Bunny

Don't think this is a warranty issue - a 'blonde moment'
Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
alitino

Speedo

Its just the case surround that's cracked the speedo and didgi bit's work great. Am still racked with guilt at the wounds i've inflickted on my precious one. Any ideas other than ebay as to were i could find someone who's breaking up a monster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
As the others have said, if the clocks have stopped working/the electronics are bust, then unfortunately your only option is a new set...

However, what exactly is the problem? - if you've just cracked the case/surround or the lens for example, then it is possible to split the clocks (you'll need a small torx socket) and replace those parts - however, you can't buy them seperately new (only a complete clock unit for Ducati) - but try ebay/brakers etc. - I saw a number of clocks at the BMF auto jumble earlier this year - the innards would be no use of course, but the surround/lenses were sound...

xxx
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
slob

empathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitino View Post
Its just the case surround that's cracked the speedo and didgi bit's work great. Am still racked with guilt at the wounds i've inflickted on my precious one. Any ideas other than ebay as to were i could find someone who's breaking up a monster?

Dont worry Ali, I'm in the same boat with my clock casing...
plus a clip-on, clutch master cylinder, left hand switchgear, footpeg, both silencers, tank, seat, front mudguard, a couple of scuffs on the frame, I'm fairly sure I'll find some other bits and bobs too...
oh, and lid, boots, leathers...
still at least the ribs and feet are mostly healed.
keep looking, it'll be okay in the end.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
Zimbo

Incidently, folks, apparently is IS possible to reprogramme a used set of clocks, if you know how!
There is a clever man in Norfolk who can do it. he needs your old clocks, and can "read" the clock's identity. He is then able to reflash another set of clocks (even second hand ones off another bike) to clone your original set, which should then work on the bike.
His address:

Mark Tsang
SCORPIO ELECTRONICS
265 Wootton Rd
Kings Lynn
Norfolk
PE30 3AR

01553 670891/ 0468 624062

He charges £70 plus VAT and postage.

Not tried him myself, obviously, but may be of use to some of you.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
Incidently, folks, apparently is IS possible to reprogramme a used set of clocks, if you know how!
There is a clever man in Norfolk who can do it. he needs your old clocks, and can "read" the clock's identity. He is then able to reflash another set of clocks (even second hand ones off another bike) to clone your original set, which should then work on the bike.
His address:

Mark Tsang
SCORPIO ELECTRONICS
265 Wootton Rd
Kings Lynn
Norfolk
PE30 3AR

01553 670891/ 0468 624062

He charges £70 plus VAT and postage.

Not tried him myself, obviously, but may be of use to some of you.
Well that is certainly worth knowing! - I always imagined it was possible, but when I checked, DUK said no...???

As for finding some s/h clocks Alitino, try the back of MCN in the breakers section - I'm sure the guys that were at the BMF advertise in there for Ducati parts...

xxx
Old 11-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
Nickj

Bike: S2r
I might have a 100% intact casing set going for grabs soonish. I'll post when available LOL Start saving up people !!!