UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Look what I found in the workshop!

Old 20-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #16
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
GASA, I know what you mean. Guy at work arrived the other day on his 1934 Norton - even has got the original (and now rusty) bolts on. Patina does not even cover that one!
That's cool! Mate of ours uses a 1930's Scott Flying Squirrel very regularly - it's completely original!
Old 21-03-2014, 02:26 AM   #17
Flip

Bike: M900
Ahhh Pedro, nice to see the old girl again!!

As for the battle scars, I think I may have been witness to more than a couple of those on the many runs out through the leafy lanes of Hants, Sussex and Surrey some years ago.

Originality is a funny thing in my opinion- it's like where does it start and stop?

For example if the bike hasn't been 'restored' and yet had a load of aftermarket parts fitted in the early years as was Ducati's intention for the Monster (which is why the early bikes came with a parts catalogue). Does that make it 'original' still? Particularly when (in the early days) there was so much variation between the parts fitted to bikes from the factory as had already been mentioned.

Then there is what I call the 'Four sides of ownership'.
I make no secret of my love of Ducatis and in particular their singles- so you get the rare, genuinely original bikes, the full on restoration anoraks where the bikes are as good as new (if not better), the ones like my own 1965 Mach 1 which are kept within regulations in order to race at classic events (basically they have to look original with period modifications or modern ones that cannot be seen such as fork internals etc.). The lastly you get the- screw it and take something with a punchy little motor and then give it a modern twist, go to a track and embarrass some much newer machines with it:

http://radducati.blogspot.co.uk/2013...cati-2013.html

I do wonder if in thirty years or so the Desmo Due bikes will be being raced in classic events- I rather hope so!

Last edited by Flip; 21-03-2014 at 02:32 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #18
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
There is one special word which describes how an original monster should be and that word is......kept.
I'm glad to see you've got the basics spot on, Pedro.
Though also slightly puzzled as to your lack of attachment to the 1000DS, which was in my opinion one of the best around.

As far original features are concerned, while I too can appreciate (and smile at) the iconic qualities of the yellow hoop, its just paint after all and matters little. In fact, to my eye, it looks better when its colour coordinated with the frame.
Similarly, although I do respect the work of those who do "factory genuine" restorations, I personally much prefer to see a few sensible modifications .....eg at a very basic level, stainless fasteners to replace original zinc plated items.
But its a big, wide world, with plenty of room for other opinions.

That's an interesting instrument cluster. What's in the extra bit ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #19
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Hey Flipper
Can remember the early runs well, great fun.

Full restoration wouldn't be right but I have pretty much all the original bits. I'm going for the period mods, a few nice bits that would've been available at the time, like the Road Racing clocks and carbon cans

Utopia, as good as the 1000 was, it just didn't get under my skin like the 900 has, not sure why really. Probably because most of the work was done when I bought it, I just tidied it up and finished the job. If anyone's interested, it's appeared on eBay at the moment, minus most of the bling. Looks very plain now.
Old 21-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #20
DrD

I understand this. Its why my garage has Road Racing and SIL boxes with the original parts in.
Old 21-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #21
DrD

BUT I draw the line on period parts when it comes to the likes of Clutch Slaves and Rear shocks.
Just need to decide about the front end now. 851/888 or maxton internals.
Old 21-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #22
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
If anyone's interested, it's appeared on eBay at the moment, minus most of the bling. Looks very plain now.
Not that I can afford it but I like to look, got a link?

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #23
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Hey Flipper
Can remember the early runs well, great fun.

Full restoration wouldn't be right but I have pretty much all the original bits. I'm going for the period mods, a few nice bits that would've been available at the time, like the Road Racing clocks and carbon cans

Utopia, as good as the 1000 was, it just didn't get under my skin like the 900 has, not sure why really. Probably because most of the work was done when I bought it, I just tidied it up and finished the job. If anyone's interested, it's appeared on eBay at the moment, minus most of the bling. Looks very plain now.
I used to get about more then. I remember my first was Sammy Millers in the wet. July went to Hayling Island I think. My mirror lens jumped ship on the right side but caught it in hand.
I really do miss old school monsters but wouldn't be without mine that I have. Fond memory's though for sure
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Not that I can afford it but I like to look, got a link?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mon...ht_1062wt_1141

Only 4 owners: MD of Ducati UK, 2 UKMOC Presidents and Kev.

Last edited by slob; 22-03-2014 at 09:51 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #25
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Are you going to make it 3 UKMOC Presidents Slob....
Old 22-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #26
slob

A third M1000DS would just be greedy (or spares)
If I had the space a completely standard '93 M900 would be very high on the list
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #27
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mon...ht_1062wt_1141

Only 4 owners: MD of Ducati UK, 2 UKMOC Presidents and Kev.
Oh I saw that one but the location confused me

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #28
banditloon

21 year old battle scars are the way forward

I thought I was ashamed to admit my old 21 year old lump had to sit around with no engine casing or starter motor for nearly 18 months was bad, but nearly 7 years! You should go and hang your head in shame in the corner young man!!
Old 29-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #29
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Evening all

Spent the day today monster fettling, front brakes all overhauled with a new master cylinder too, new belts (forgotten how quick these are to do, all of 15 minutes!), lots of dust and dirt cleaned off and the oil dropped ready for fresh. Looks like I'll need a set of clutch plates as they look fooked, open covers and damp don't mix! Next up is sort the chain and rear brake out then find the foot rest hangers and get the polish to the exhaust.

With a bit of luck it'll start up soon! I might even grace the weekender with my presence!!

Ped