UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » We are all concerened

Closed Thread

Old 20-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
We are all concerened

The next 24 hours will be critical for football legend George Best's survival, the doctor treating him has said.

George Best is on a life support machine

Professor Roger Williams said Best, 59, was stable but had made no significant improvement since he was placed on a ventilator after being struck down by a lung infection.

He said: "He is holding, that's what I can say. His condition really hasn't changed since yesterday."

But he added: "I would like to have seen some very definite improvement in this last 24 hours.

"So I think the next 24 hours is going to be critical as to whether he's going to make it or not."

Prof Williams added that Best's family were saying "swear words, good words, bad words, anything to poke a reaction from him", but Best remained heavily sedated and was not communicating with those around him.

I would have thought shouting "Pub's open" would have had more chance. I am naturally crossing my fingers and hoping the machine can be turned off soon.

That sounds bad doesn't it, what I meant was I hope his family won't have to visit him much longer.

No that's not right either, you know what I mean
Old 20-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Didge

After all the alcohol he's consumed over the years, when he does 'pop off', he'll keep well preserved at least.
That'll p*ss off the likes of our Spacemonkey I reckon.

Old 20-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Not wanting to play god or devils advocate, but I must admit to a certain lack of sympathy here. There's lots of very i'll people wishing they had a chance of a single liver transplant, and this guy manages to trash two!

National hero my arse
Old 20-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
Scotty

well hgumm and yeah

jyusrt shut it

if ya dunt have owt 'nice' to say dunt say owt

since it been headline (thers nowt else interesting to report on) news every one knows and as such id let em make their own minds up err tge public yeah

errm sorry i must be stiring

Old 20-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Exclamation Toon army on the loose

Scotty,

Yah avnee joost coom in fraam thah poob lad?

Too many Newky Browns again

Last edited by gary tompkins; 20-11-2005 at 10:59 PM..
Old 21-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
w108rna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
Not wanting to play god or devils advocate, but I must admit to a certain lack of sympathy here. There's lots of very i'll people wishing they had a chance of a single liver transplant, and this guy manages to trash two!

National hero my arse
Totally agree with you. I do feel some sympathy for the fella but how many opportunities do you get in this game of life before you gotta bite the bullett and take responsibility for yourself.

Get well soon anyway.

Old 21-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
SAMMYE

Definitely going to play devils advocat here:

Unless you are an alcoholic then you cannot empathise fully with what he has been through and without empathy how can you judge a man who has drunk himself to an early grave!?

Very harsh guys!

yes he has almost killed himself through drink and yes he was given a second chance which was seemingly wasted on him but he is more than paying for that now. Do not forget whatever his downfalls he is a Brother, Father and Son. It is very obvious what he has done to himself theres enough sanctimoniousness in the tabloids.

Its all very sad

Last edited by SAMMYE; 21-11-2005 at 09:27 AM..

Old 21-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
dean

from a good clean living roman catholic boy

quoting the ultimate book of words:-

"judge not lest ye be judged"

"let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

"my name's Brian and so's my wife"

bla bla bla,bla bla bla.

Old 21-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
CraigMac

Devils Advocaat??

Isnt that, that Dutch drink made by Warninks...I didnt realise it was that potent...Fancy Besty drinking that, I would have thought it was a ladies drink!!
Having said that, Im led to believe that these full on P1ss pots will drink anything...

Regards.

Last edited by CraigMac; 21-11-2005 at 10:22 AM..

Old 21-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
w108rna

I added ,get well soon, as i hope he does, just feel very little sympathy for him. You choose your path in life and make of it what you can.

Old 21-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #11
A Yerbury

being drunk on Parky...how hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMac
Isnt that, that Dutch drink made by Warninks...I didnt realise it was that potent...Fancy Besty drinking that, I would have thought it was a ladies drink!!
Having said that, Im led to believe that these full on P1ss pots will drink anything...

Regards.
You are confused again Craig, I think you are talking Bols.

All the best.
Alex.

Old 21-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
Chappers

Well said SammyE and PD why don't you wind your neck in...if you don't have anything nice to say then shut up.

Old 21-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #13
Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
Scotty,

Yah avnee joost coom in fraam thah poob lad?

Too many Newky Browns again
i realy shouldn't try and post anything after a few beers i may lean one day

Old 21-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #14
Didge

Sorry, but one makes one's bed etc, etc.
Like drug addiction, alcohol abuse is self-inflicted. We are all aware of the damage they can do, and the addiction that will result, so if one decides to go down that road, one can expect to suffer the consequences.
As a smoker, I know the possible problems that may cause, but I take my chances.
Most people who tried drugs have never taken anything stronger than a spliff, because they know that stronger drugs can lead to addiction. The same as most people drink in moderation.
I don't care what anyone says, alcoholics and drug addicts have inflicted it on themselves, and live in denial.
We all have problems through our lives, but if one is so weak-minded that they go down the route of drink or drugs, with all the resultant problems that causes for eveyone else, then fu*k 'em.
He's had fame, money, more women than I've had hot dinners, and a second liver.
I for one, have no sympathy.

Old 21-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #15
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
I think you'll find i said nothing nasty here just started a thread, funny how the mass opinion matches my own and how people assume I was just being cruel.
Yeh he's a father, son, brother and all that but do you not feel perhaps that they might think in a way other than 'what a wonderful man'. As for paying for it now I'm sorry I have to differ, evryone comes to an end and he's had one hell of a life behind him, more than many will ever have.

Maybe I should Tell you about Lou, or Louise Hickey to be precise. A really good laugh, great girl, a friend and CF patient. In her early twenties the daily drug taking, 3 hours of physio and constant medication wasn't enough to keep her going and together with the consultant she aggreed to be added to the transplant list. Not a happy decision as the list is for anyone who is unlikely to go more than another year without it. The months rolled on and everytime i saw her we carried on as normal but everyone knew time was running out. One night she got the call and rushed into hospital only to be told it was a false alarm but by total chance another set of heart and lungs had just become available. And in she went.
The next morning the messgae came round that the operation had gone well but right at the very end despite every attempt they were unable to start her new heart and she died. In her time as a patient,CF representitive to the hospital, fund raiser and editor of the national CF mag she had written a diary of her life, along with it her family found a note that started "if you are reading this things have gone horribly wrong..."
I can't tell you how proud I am to have known her, she too was a daughter, girlfriend and good friend to many. If only her chance had gone better.

I don't envy the job of the consultants who have to make the decisions as to who get and who doesn't. As you can see my feelings on this subject are somewhat biased but for a footballer who has done nothing special for the last 20 years except cause pain and suffering to those around him, I will scream at my TV every time I here the words hero or legend used in conjunction with his name.

Sorry if i offend, i know this is a public forum and we are all entitled to our own opinions.