UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Declaring cans on insurance??

Old 15-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
leslie_dash

Declaring cans on insurance??

I recieved my insurance renewal from Ducati insurance the other day, £310 (TPFT) with my first years no claims, considering i'm only 22 i think thats really reasonable!! So was considering telling them about my modifications.

Does everyone declare their modifications on their insurance? If so, how much am i looking at for my high mounts? Also got open airbox and DP air filter.
Old 15-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie_dash View Post
I recieved my insurance renewal from Ducati insurance the other day, £310 (TPFT) with my first years no claims, considering i'm only 22 i think thats really reasonable!! So was considering telling them about my modifications.

Does everyone declare their modifications on their insurance? If so, how much am i looking at for my high mounts? Also got open airbox and DP air filter.
When I had my prang last year, the assessor checked the tyres tread depth first and then took photographs. It had some cosmetic additions but was pretty much standard.

Some insurance companies will not cover anything other than a standard bike. There is a real risk that they will not pay out if you have not declared modifications which may be OK if it's just your bike involved, but if it's another vehicle or worse a person, you could be in deep do-do!
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Darry

I declare my DP exhausts, with ebikeinsurance... not sure how much difference it makes, but didn't want give an excuse to the insurance company not to pay out.

In the past I decalred them with Norwich Union and they just added £50; my insurance was £1300 at the time so was pretty reasonable.

Currently paying £384 Fully comp with 2YNC in London with ebike includes mods.

Darry.
Old 15-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Scotty

worth mentioning made no difference to my policy

they are essentially looking for nortos and turbo type modification's

as in everyone puts stickers on and an aftermarket can etc

well i say that insurance is a funny game mention 'you were thinking about it' and see what they say
Old 15-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
JohnF

I declared my Termi's to Ducati insurance. Don't think the premium went up but they did say they wouldn't cover the Termi's, possibly because I'm fully comp.
Old 15-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
andros

Bike: S2r
Question

My own opinion is that it is best to declare it,

Last time I added cans as a modification with Ducati Insurance it was gonna cost about £50.
andros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Declared all my mods - no extra cost on policy
Old 15-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
nik_the_brief

Yep, definitely declare everything. It's surprising how little effect it can have. As many have said they often don't load teh premium at all. I declared my high level Sil megaphones, Dynojet kit and K&N air filter and I think they loaded my policy by only £25.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 15-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Lowsider

I declared all My mods to eBike

Termi's, K&N Airfilter, Non standard indicators, Uprated suspension, Dynojet stage 2.

And I'm paying £186 Fully Comp with 1 years NCB 36, in LS29
Old 15-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
declared mine too at no extra cost. Termis
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Shauns4

exhausts

Not all insurance companies have the same approach, the one I was with insisted the cans had to be E marked whereas the one I am with now say in the event of claim requiring new exhausts they will be replaced with standard ones.

in any case best to tell them !
Old 15-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Guzzirider

Carole Nash said as long as they were legal they did not care- and what is an illegal exhaust these days?
Old 16-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
moor-ph0

Declaring and mods

Hi,
After taking out insurance last year with CN and declaring all mods on the phone I was suprised when the policy arrived. In the mods section it had NO. I phoned them up and repeated the mods i.e non-standard piped DP with no E markings. To my astonishment they informed me I wasn't insured as they would not recognise the pipes. They cancelled the policy and said they would refund the money minus £50 admin charge. I argued everything was declared on the phone which they record. Once checked the full amount was refunded and the sales person sent for retraining. A letter of apology was then sent. Apparently the underwriters they'd placed me withe was Equity Red Start which with CN won't cover an illegal system. It's the same underwriters with Ducati Insurance but they have a different arrangment and do cover illegal systems but you should declare it. CN could provide cover with an alternative outfit but jumped by £150. In the end I went with Ebike. They will provide cover but in the event you make a claim they can only fit a legal system which seems fair.

Geoff
Old 22-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #14
russ77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins View Post
Declared all my mods - no extra cost on policy
What did the extra wheel add to the premium?
Old 23-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
Spike

Declared all my mods through CN got a custom policy so every things covered