UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Headlamp Adapter Rings

Old 17-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'm not disputing that the LED style is better, it clearly is, its just too modern looking for my personal taste and I think a few others on here feel the same. We want traditional looks and modern performance I guess. That standard lamp is never going to perform in any way that's needed.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
Sorry I totally misunderstood the product on sale
No worries Ben. I suspected you had the wrong end of the stick somehow, it helped clear up any ambiguity about how the rings work.
It also prompted some very helpful info from Darren... Thanks Darren, good to know the rings will fit Carbon rims okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Anyway Gazza as you may already know that a similar Bosch lamp is fitted to many Italian bikes from the '70's
Yes that lamp, if not the exact shell design, was fitted to lots of bikes including beemer K100, Darmas and Pantahs.
There's a guy selling the lamps in the US and the fitment list he gives is very impressive. It follows that my rings will fit all those bikes too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11274248699...84.m1558.l2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
it reminds you of the bad old days of "Lucas the Prince of Darkness" ...
Thanks for the plug Jez, glad you're still pleased with your kit.
Ironically the reflectors and lenses of the (g)olden days were actually quite good. It was the bulb technology and current available, that let them down. Anything with a 12V alternator and a Cibie conversion was probably better than a Bosch equipped Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I may well take a black one for the future
No worries Albie, no danger of running out just yet. I suspect supply will outstrip demand!
Hope to sell a few more though, as I have a Commando in need...
Old 17-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #18
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
We want traditional looks and modern performance I guess.
Yeah I know what you mean; I do too, which is part of the reason I have this bike - well that and my not wanting to spend 20K on a modern Ducati!

I suppose I want traditional looks (where possible) with a little modern performance enhancement here and there.

It would be boring if we and our bikes were all the same!

Last edited by Jez900ie; 17-01-2018 at 07:39 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I'm not knocking the LED units, they're just not to my taste aesthetically.
The point is, that the adapters allow a massive choice of lights in the 7" size, as opposed to a choice of a single, rather outdated design in the Bosch unit.

I am currently using an Autopal Crystal clear unit, (sold as a Defender upgrade) with an H4 LED bulb. I can't find the exact bulb listed, that I got, but it is similar to most on this list. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...it%20&_sacat=0
Most of those look like they will fit, even with the large protuberance on the back containing a heatsink and sometimes a fan. Of course the reflectors come in varying depths and so also effect how much room there is for the heatsink in the standard shell. The matchbox sized driver unit on the lead shown on some bulbs is a comfortable fit in the shell.

Two very good conventional hot bulbs are the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited and the trusty Phillips Extreme Vision.

Jerry has reported that the Wipac 6072 unit is very good. This is polycarbonate and so has a weight advantage too. The new rings come in at 35grams. So with a carbon shell and rim you would be looking at a significant weight saving together with better lights.... Lighter and brighter..!

The Commando will be needing a headlamp, so I will sport it a Cibie H180 unit, which has an outwardly traditional appearance. This will be trialled in the Monster initially so I will report on that.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 17-01-2018 at 08:26 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I'm not knocking the LED units, they're just not to my taste aesthetically.
The point is, that the adapters allow a massive choice of lights in the 7" size, as opposed to a choice of a single, rather outdated design in the Bosch unit.

I am currently using an Autopal Crystal clear unit, (sold as a Defender upgrade) with an H4 LED bulb. I can't find the exact bulb listed, that I got, but it is similar to most on this list. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...it%20&_sacat=0
Most of those look like they will fit, even with the large protuberance on the back containing a heatsink and sometimes a fan. Of course the reflectors come in varying depths and so also effect how much room there is for the heatsink in the standard shell. The matchbox sized driver unit on the lead shown on some bulbs is a comfortable fit in the shell.

Two very good conventional hot bulbs are the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited and the trusty Phillips Extreme Vision.

Jerry has reported that the Wipac 6072 unit is very good. This is polycarbonate and so has a weight advantage too. The new rings come in at 35grams. So with a carbon shell and rim you would be looking at a significant weight saving together with better lights.... Lighter and brighter..!

The Commando will be needing a headlamp, so I will sport it a Cibie H180 unit, which has an outwardly traditional appearance. This will be trialled in the Monster initially so I will report on that.
I have Night Breaker bulbs in my car and they are very good.

I think it is worth mentioning Mr Gazza that the other adapters available literally cost a fortune (more than £100) and are no different to yours.

Your set up is a good compromise between style and performance. I might change mine to the same some day. Its the great thing, your adapter works with dozens of options and changing takes minutes.
Old 18-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #21
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
save me another plain one , im back in uk on 28th and will pay u then ,, what is the reflector in the top picture say H$ in the middle of picture??

also anyone know where i can get the screw retaining clip for the chrome rim ???mine is broken
Old 18-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #22
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
Sorry I totally misunderstood the product on sale - i thought it was a matte black headlight rim.

I was hoping to replace the stock chrome rim with a matte black one and wasn't fussed about changing the actual reflector.
I had a chrome headlight rim powder coated black, came out perfect.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #23
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
save me another plain one , im back in uk on 28th and will pay u then ,, what is the reflector in the top picture say H$ in the middle of picture??

also anyone know where i can get the screw retaining clip for the chrome rim ???mine is broken
No worries Jerry. I won't be selling out just yet!

The reflector says H4 and it's an Autopal clear crystal, sold as a Defender upgrade.

You got a clip from Motobins before apparently?
Old 18-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #24
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I had a chrome headlight rim powder coated black, came out perfect.
Yes that's what I'll be doing

Buying a carbon bowl was a total impulse buy and only came about as I got combined deal from Oz with my carbon beer tray
Old 19-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #25
Darkness

Adapter ring arrived in the post this morning thank you: very smart.
I'll dig out the old H180 I took off an old Rover when I sold it, and change from a LHD continental light unit ready ready for an MOT on the youngster.
Old 27-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for the steady trickle of orders chaps, the Black ones are proving more popular, I've only sold one Gold one.
I think the Gold suits the Chrome rim and shiny reflector better and blends in with the other Brembo bits and pieces on a Monster. The Black was intended to be a better option for LED units.
Ah well, looks like I will be converting some of my large Gold stocks to Black...

Please don't forget to review the lights and bulbs that you choose, so we can tell which ones shine and which ones fade.
Old 27-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #27
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Thanks for the steady trickle of orders chaps, the Black ones are proving more popular, I've only sold one Gold one.
I think the Gold suits the Chrome rim and shiny reflector better and blends in with the other Brembo bits and pieces on a Monster. The Black was intended to be a better option for LED units.
Ah well, looks like I will be converting some of my large Gold stocks to Black...

Please don't forget to review the lights and bulbs that you choose, so we can tell which ones shine and which ones fade.
That makes mine more exclusive then.

I should encourage you to overpaint the rest in black so it's unique.

I wanted same colour as the tank lettering: silver (Chrome) with a gold edge.

Last edited by Darkness; 27-01-2018 at 01:04 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #28
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Gold will always be exclusive.

Only yourself, Utopia and me, have Gold ones so far... We are The Fellowship of the Ring...
Old 27-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #29
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Call me an old softie but I chose the gold one because it was more "Gazza".
It does also compliment the other minimal goldness in the calipers, discs, frame etc rather well though and now I would also choose it purely on merit.

.. just trying to save you having to respray a load of gold ones, Gazza.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #30
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

You're an old softie..