UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » M750 optimum riding style.

Old 17-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
larsen

Bike: M750
M750 optimum riding style.

Has anyone out there worked out the optimum riding style to maximise fuel economy from an M750. The reason I ask is because I ran a full to fill light test on mine, using low revs / high gear girly riding and apart from stretching the chain with snatch I achieved 144 miles. having done that test I'm now playing a bit more and have somehow increased my range to 165 miles per tank. Any ideas ?
Old 17-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well no, not really.
The reason I say this is that I seem to get the same mileage out of a tankful (roughly 150 miles til the light comes on) irrespective of how I ride it.
This first came to my notice after the 2011 ukmoc trackday at Mallory, when I found that even after a full day of "performance" riding I got pretty much the same fuel economy as if I'd been on a normal run.
I get roughly the same mileage whether running solo on the twisties or on the motorway with luggage and/or pillion.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
My 750SS was pretty much the same just under 120 miles between tankfuls. The exception was in the alps, 2 up with luggage on a Sunday in France when I got about 80 miles before it started stuttering. Fortunately I had just reached the top of the col and managed to descend 14 miles without the engine to coast into an open Italian petrol station.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
I can't really speak for the 750 motor as I have a 900 but they're not a million miles apart other than the 900 having a few more cc's and a sixth gear.

As with any engine, but particularly a reasonably large capacity fairly low revving single or twin cylinder one, the worst thing you can do is over rev them through the gears or let them labour by demanding large throttle openings while in a high (the wrong) gear at very low revs which manifests itself initially as the snatchiness you felt in the drive chain while riding.

Doing either will accelerate engine wear and use more fuel.

Light engine loadings in the correct gear will give better economy and be a lot kinder to your engine and transmission.

Incidentally, despite having to adjust the 'slack' out them, chains don't actually stretch they simply wear- the 'stretch' is actually increased play in the pins making them 'longer'.

This is quite an interesting read if you want to know more about chain wear, care and see just how many moving parts you're putting a fair bit of demand on every time you ride your motorcycle.

https://www.scottoiler.com/motorcycl...Workshopv1.pdf
Old 18-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I do rate the scottoil for chain lube even if you don't have the oiler. I just put mine on by hand. Chains seem to last forever.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
As Utopia says the consumption isn't too variable, the 750's I had (carb IE) both did about the same.
You really have to rag the arse off the motor to drop too much, and then it's hard work to get below 90 miles between refills.
Old 19-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
You really have to rag the arse off the motor to drop too much, and then it's hard work to get below 90 miles between refills.
That's about what I used to get out of my old one