UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Re-using "disposable" facemasks

Old 10-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Re-using "disposable" facemasks

Am I the only person who thinks the popular "disposable" facemasks are basically a con in normal domestic use? I've been happily hand-washing and re-using the typical blue/white ones for weeks now. I can well believe they might not survive machine washing, but under magnification I can see no difference at all between the triple-layered fabric structure of a new one and a repeatedly hand-washed one. OK, I realise they're not marketed as being intended for washing and re-use, but that doesn't mean it cannot be successfully done with a litttle care. Just think of the plastic pollution I'm not creating!
Old 11-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
If I remember I'll ask my girlfriend this evening ( she's a senior nurse!!) But sadly,as you know,too much stuff is thrown away these days,and not in bins either

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I use one of those neck tube / bandana things instead of a pukka mask .. and obviously they get washed.
The amount of additional non-biodegradable waste from all forms of PPE is the unspoken curse of the virus.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I use one of those neck tube / bandana things instead of a pukka mask .. and obviously they get washed.
The amount of additional non-biodegradable waste from all forms of PPE is the unspoken curse of the virus.
Neck tubes and other option have been tested recently for effectiveness, report is on Sky News app, neck tubes are the worst option
Old 11-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The paper disposable masks are good for about 20mins use, then the material becomes damp and their effectiveness drops significantly.
They also don't seal well, usually abysmally, so air gets in around the outside edges. Of course the air flow in and out around the edges increases as they get damp.

You really need FFP3 masks if you want it to actually do anything, these are like the disposable spraying masks but a tighter fit and waterproof material. They are bloody uncomfortable to wear, after 2 hours you've really had enough.

The best are the powered hoods a nice positive interior pressure keeps the outside world out.

In the NHS we are being given paper masks, usually with elastic straps which are really more symbolic than anything else, but they are cheap and it looks good for the patients. The FFP3 masks are over £5 a shot so we don't get to use many of them. Most of our working days Caroline and I are in close physical contact with patients who are supposed to be virus clear, what that means is they may be asymptomatic but no one knows as they and we aren't tested as in x-ray we aren't 'front-line' despite the fact that we, and I, get to image known positive patients and all of the possibles.
As a group we, NHS workers, are about x10 times more likely to contract covid.

So it will be just as effective if reused, rather than wash it just put it out in the sun for a few hours to dry and for the UV to kill any virus load. Just bear in mind that if you are with a few metres in doors of someone sneezing in your direction you'll be sucking in whatever they have albeit less than if you didn't have a mask on.
You might notice that I am very slightly cynical about this as we have been chasing this pandemic all along, everything was done too late despite what had been seen in other countries. We, by 'we' I mean our science following government has cherry picked what fits with their current thoughts and we, by 'we' I mean us have paid for it.

There that feels better ... almost ... Oh yes and also ask your girlfriend if she thought that the clapping for us a nice gesture, and does she feel just a teensy bit miffed about the stance on pay ... Maybe not a can of worms you'd want to open

Last edited by Nickj; 11-08-2020 at 06:30 PM..
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I'd view anything coming out of the murdoch empire as slightly dubious at best.. after all this is the media service that backed trumps china conspiracy. They do a good line in TV series though