UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » 2000 M900 Sie, wee bit of advice needed

Old 10-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
rbt1548

Bike: M900sie
2000 M900 Sie, wee bit of advice needed

Hi Guys, I need a wee bit of assistance here.

Over the past few years I have been at odds with my motorcycling, I have had a number of bikes and haven't really settled with any. I have not been without a bike for over 45 years and I have used them for commuting , holidays etc., I'm sure we've all been there. I have come to the stage where I realise it probably is not the bikes not suiting me but me who has lost that bit of enthusiasm of motorcycling, it probably started when I had a plate put in my left arm which causes me some pain when I ride sometimes.

So!!!!.. I am thinking of selling my Monster and taking a break from motorcycling, I am heading to visit relatives for the next couple of weeks and will decide for definite when I am away.

I do not know how much to ask for it should I decide to sell it, this is where I need the help. I have looked on the internet over the past month or two and prices are not consistent for the M900 far less the M900Sie, ranging from about £3,500 to over £5,000, I was thinking somewhere in the middle?

To give you an idea of what mine is, for price, it's a 2000 M900Sie with 28,000 m, it's all original with all the carbon bits and alloy bars, adjustable shocks, even the small under swinging arm mud flap etc still on it, only non original, as far as I am aware is a billet sprocket cover, but I have the original, and the side stand cut out switch has been removed but I still have it. Tyres are Pirelli Angels with 5mm rear, 4.5 mm front on the tread.
It was MOT'd last Thurs, 4 miles ago, failed on stop light switch,(failed between house & MOT station???), sorted by me at MOT station, now passed!
Had a Ducati Steel clutch basket fitted in last 8 miles and was serviced with belts changed last year when I bought it from Carl Harrison Motorcycles. I will probably let the Abba stand and the beast of a steel clutch tool go with it.

I would be grateful if maybe someone could give me an idea what I should ask should I decide to sell, which is looking increasingly likely I will, if I do I will write up a proper advert. Please excuse the mess in the garage , my daughter is getting a new kitchen, guess where all her stuff is!!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

1965 BSA Lightning Clubman
1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie

Last edited by rbt1548; 10-08-2020 at 07:42 PM..
rbt1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Speaking as someone who won bike of the year 2017 with a 2000 M900Sie. I would say that is a showroom condition concours bike, better than it left the factory as you have polished the exhaust pipes.
The only thing I can spot that is not absolutely original is the red fitting on a piece of harness just above the clutch, I'm assuming this is a battery tender plug? Couldn't say if the bar weights were original as I don't know what the original were like, in other words you have to get down and really split hairs to find anything slightly less than perfect about it.
Nice low mileage and good service history too. So top money I reckon.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
rbt1548

Thanks Mr Gazza, it is the battery tender. There are a few marks here and there commensurate with it's age but nothing that would detract from look of bike. I just find it hard setting a price, I just want it to be fair, not too much but I don't want to give it away either, that's why I thought I would seek knowledgeable opinions.

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
Old 10-08-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I reckon something in the ballpark of £4.5k would put a smile on the face of buyer and seller.
Bear in mind that if you leave it too long the belts will go out of date and take the shine off a bit, but changing them is not going to dent your profit too much so worth changing them for the sale or supplying new ones in a packet, so the new owner knows he's putting brand new belts on.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Bar weights look standard and taking that the belts were done last year unless you've done massive mileage I would not bother with the belts unless its been stood for a year. I change mine on my 2001 M900Sie every year because of all the other mods and the cost of a rebuild if anything goes wrong but your bike is un-mallested so should'nt be an issue. I would go towards the top end of what you have seen that way you can drop a bit if the buyer haggles.
Nice looking bike.

ian
Old 10-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
stopintime

Bike: S2r
DO NOT SELL !

Get the arm plate removed/modified, if that's an option Conserve the bike properly and store it. Double your money in 5-10 years.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
rbt1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
DO NOT SELL !

Get the arm plate removed/modified, if that's an option Conserve the bike properly and store it. Double your money in 5-10 years.

Fair enough idea, but after all the hassle of getting the plate in, 3 ops, a bit of bone from my hip to my arm, (basically I don't know my arse from my elbow ), and a 'Clean' UK hospital giving me MRSA, I feel I need to decline that suggestion.

I have, in all probability, decided that I will let it go, I'm not one for leaving something sitting there when someone could get good use out of it and the figures mentioned in my enquiry I would be happy with.

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
Old 12-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
spuggy

Bike looks great - really nice.

I think pricing is all over the map for these - I bought a bone-stock (apart from bar-end mirrors and flat-black painted mufflers) 2000 Sie with 9K miles and a fresh battery/valve/belt job for 3K. Guy didn't use it/just wanted it gone, and I didn't haggle...

If you decide to sell, I think you should set price based on how quickly you want to get the space back. Condition of yours should certainly support pricing towards the top of the range, despite mileage. Which might scare some people, but isn't really "high".

After all, you only need one seller to decide that your bike ticks all the boxes for them - and pre-LCD clocks/injection/S-spec everything? Arguably the best of the 900s as supplied by the factory. But buyers are strange beasts.

Or "priced to sell", as they say...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
rbt1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Bike looks great - really nice.

I think pricing is all over the map for these - I bought a bone-stock (apart from bar-end mirrors and flat-black painted mufflers) 2000 Sie with 9K miles and a fresh battery/valve/belt job for 3K. Guy didn't use it/just wanted it gone, and I didn't haggle...

If you decide to sell, I think you should set price based on how quickly you want to get the space back. Condition of yours should certainly support pricing towards the top of the range, despite mileage. Which might scare some people, but isn't really "high".

After all, you only need one seller to decide that your bike ticks all the boxes for them - and pre-LCD clocks/injection/S-spec everything? Arguably the best of the 900s as supplied by the factory. But buyers are strange beasts.

Or "priced to sell", as they say...
I am not desperate for the space and will put it on here first when I get back and will use the advice I got regarding price on here when I decide on a price, factoring in 'wiggle room' for both me and, hopefully, a buyer. I do not intend kicking the backside out of it pricewise so won't be stubborn to deal with, but am not going to give it away, a nice meeting of minds would be great

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
Old 12-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It does seem a shame that a bike in that good a condition should only be fetching 3-3.5K (The same sort of price as an early carbie 900). They will certainly be fetching a lot more in years to come but at the moment the prices do seem all over the place. If you're not desperate to sell then I would hold out for the best price you can get (>=3.5K)

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
rbt1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It does seem a shame that a bike in that good a condition should only be fetching 3-3.5K (The same sort of price as an early carbie 900). They will certainly be fetching a lot more in years to come but at the moment the prices do seem all over the place. If you're not desperate to sell then I would hold out for the best price you can get (>=3.5K)
Yes, they are all over the place, I wasn't sure so I asked for opinions and going by feedback I am getting to my question will probably pitch it around, possibly, somewhere in the top half of the 4's which allows for negotiations.

At the end of the day no matter what price I ask some will say too high, others too low, it's always difficult getting a compromise.

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
Old 12-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yea, I mean the Monster was predicted to be fetching 'classic bike' sort or money about now but as of yet it hasn't really picked up. But it will. Those Sie and S bikes will be always be worth a premium over the bog standard ones once they do. Just look at the way 748/916 prices have gone up recently and a 996 that could have been had for like 3.5 to 4k a few years ago is now fetching 6 or 7? I mean for a 916 or 748 SPS your looking at 10-15K now for a nice one, and yea ok they were a numbered ltd edition top spec bike but the M900Sie is sort of the Mosnter equivalent if you discount the S4RS and Foggy (again silly money for those). Same thing wit hthe 900SS FE models and Sport Classic, I mean there's nothing really 'special' about them really.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote