UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New member in Lincolnshire

Old 26-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemdan View Post
Maybe being simplistic here but wouldn't the new range be the original + the difference between the radii of the 2 sprockets?
Not quite! Don't forget the chain isn't parallel to the swinging arm (nor to an imaginary line drawn between the sprocket centres). It makes a shallow angle by being closer at the gearbox end and farther away at the rear wheel. The chain clearance is measured half-way between the two.

Because you're only changing the rear sprocket, then, yes, the chain link on the very bottom of the new, larger, rear sprocket will be farther from the swinging arm by R2-R1 (where R1 is the radius of the 39T sprocket and R2 the radius of the 42T).

But, by contrast, a chain link at the bottom of the gearbox sprocket will be exactly the same distance from the swinging arm, whichever size rear sprocket you have.

Consequently, if you think of the chain as being the base of a triangle between the gearbox sprocket (A), rear axle (B) and bottom of rear sprocket (C), you've increased the length of side BC and increased the angle between sides AB and AC.

So the clearance difference will be at its maximum (R2-R1) at point C and zero at point A. As you measure the clearance working from C to A, the difference will gradually reduce until it is zero at point A.

As the chain clearance is measured half-way between front and rear sprocket, the increased clearance will also be someway between zero and R2-R1 (but not half-way between!).

Last edited by Luddite; 26-11-2020 at 08:50 PM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemdan View Post
EVOs rule....... well after you sort out the flaws. Loads of great advice on here, half way through my bike's transformation, Rexxer, forks and shock in the new year. I did the 14 tooth front sprocket change which helped but as my chain was then at the max adjustment I've gone down the route of standard front and 42 rear. If you want to try the 14 tooth front you can have mine for a fiver Inc postage. It's done about 20 miles. I'll be taking it off next month.
Thanks for that Makemdan. Yes loads of good information on here. I will take you up on that 14 tooth purchase. PM me when you want to sell. I will be also going the same route as you, Rexxer, shock and then forks in that order. For the suspension, Maxton is favourite at the moment although this time of the year I am in no rush.
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 10:55 PM   #3
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Welcome to the club i'm in Waltham if you ever fancy ride out or a natter a natter about most things Monster.

Pooh
Old 26-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Welcome to the club i'm in Waltham if you ever fancy ride out or a natter a natter about most things Monster.

Pooh
Thanks Pooh. I often ride through Waltham on the way out of town. Just need the weather to improve.
Old 26-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #5
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:

Pooh
My in-laws moved to Waltham about 3years ago!
Old 26-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Welcome Omar, as an owner of an 100 Evo and one that has been modded, not to the extent that Luddite's has, but the rexxerr, forks, shock, handlebar mods have all been done, you are more than welcome to pop over to Lincoln and check what the differences these mods make to the Evo once weather and lockdown are sorted :-)
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
Welcome Omar, as an owner of an 100 Evo and one that has been modded, not to the extent that Luddite's has, but the rexxerr, forks, shock, handlebar mods have all been done, you are more than welcome to pop over to Lincoln and check what the differences these mods make to the Evo once weather and lockdown are sorted :-)
Thanks Chris, I would be interested in checking the mods you have done. I am still on a steep learning curve. Learning curve going up. Bank balance curve going down!
Old 13-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #8
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Grumpy they’ll let anybody in that’s how I got here����
Old 14-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
Omar

Quote:
Grumpy they’ll let anybody in that’s how I got here����
Its getting back out that is the problem.
Old 14-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
Omar

Update

Quick update. ECU flashed, 3 day turnaround. Thanks Neil. TPS reset done as per advice on here

Maxton shock fitted, received one week after ordering, thanks Richard. Great service and advice. Not sure about the purple, but apart from that it looks the business.

Now awaiting a first test ride.

Forks will wait until spring.
Old 14-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #11
Luddite

Bet you can't wait to get out there and try it. That's going to be a frustrating wait!

Don't forget that, following a reflash, all the ECU's auto adaptive parameters will have been reset. So don't panic if you experience the following on your first few rides:

• Rough running especially at and off idle.
• A tendency when slowing down for the tickover to hover around 2,000 rpm for a few seconds before dropping to normal.
• The possibility of the motor stalling for no apparent reason.

It's perfectly normal while the auto adaptive parameters are re-learning their optimum settings and should settle down after 100 - 200 miles of normal riding.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
Omar

Thumbs up

Thanks again Luddite.
Old 23-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I would think the best thing to do with your forks would be to send them to Maxton. I'm coming to the same conclusion with my Showa ones, I may try the Andreani valve kit to see if that improves them as it's a cheaper option.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
Omar

Maxton is definitely the best way to improve the forks but also the most expensive. At least £250 more expensive than K-Tek mods. Unlike the rear suspension, there is no way to recoup the money spent on forks. It's a total loss. More time with the bike and comments on this forum will help determine which way to go.
Meanwhile, I found a Ducati Performance seat on eBay and now awaiting its arrival. Would have preferred a Corbin or Sargent having tried both on other bikes, but hopefully the former will fit the bill (and the bike)?
A couple of questions. If you guys with the Evo's are going on a trip, what spares do you take (are there known common failures)?
Secondly, where do you buy spares and service items? I have no idea as to the better retailers.
Thanks in advance.
Old 24-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #15
Flip

Bike: M900
Agreed, although if you were desperate I guess you could swap in a pair of standard forks and punt on the Maxton ones hoping to get some of the outlay back?

Personally, with the original Marzocchi forks in my 900 I was limited in my options plus I’ve owned my Monster twenty years now so can’t see me selling it anytime soon So I guess it depends how bad you feel the Evo forks are for you for which route you take there.

I’m sure if there are Evo specific issues people will shout up but as for kit to take I would say the usual cable ties, insulation tape, multi-tool (mostly for knife & pliers), spare fuses (& ‘General Relay’ for the early bike’s) and a tyre repair kit.

As for genuine parts, Moto Rapido every time- what Luke and Craig don’t know isn’t worth knowing plus you’ll get a 10% discount just for mentioning UKMOC.

For timing belts I’ve been using ExactFit which are a fair bit cheaper than the recently inflated Ducati prices for the older bikes- not sure how they would compare to your Evo.

Last edited by Flip; 24-12-2020 at 10:20 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote