UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » New Clutch for S4

Old 18-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #16
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
All aluminum it is then. Bought the set from Germany as linked by Rob. Interestingly I understand that ST4's came with Steel Baskets and Alu plates as standard. Looking forward to reduced noise levels!
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think most came with the steel setup from standard but they did start changing over to ally sometime after '02 I think as my S4 had a steel basket. You should notice that the bike revs up a little quicker as you've removed a large amount of rotating mass from the engine.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #18
alan s4

New Clutch parts arrived, comprehensive kit includes newfren plates, alu basket and clutch holding tool and new bolts for the basket. Basket made by a German outfit "duc or die"........no I haven't heard of them either.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #19
Moco1961

....I would choose "Duc" every time comprehensive looking kit, we can admire your handy work at the weekender, progress pics of course
Old 03-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #20
alan s4

If there is an award for the quietest dry clutch I'm going to be a winner
Old 17-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #21
alan s4

New parts all fitted, and yes the original basket and friction plates were proper fecked.

Difference in noise levels is unbelievable, I could actually run an open with an open clutch now, not that I'm going to.

Anyway, selected 1st and trundled around for a bit, then couldn't select neutral. Also noticed that the clutch was dragging even when lever fully pulled in. One of the new plates was concave and it wasn't entirely clear from the instructions what way round it should be fitted so I stripped all the plates again and refitted, problem now is that the clutch lever won't budge by a mm.

So stripped everything back off again (assumed the push rod must be stuck or something) and the clutch lever is still locked.

Next removed the slave cylinder completely, still locked.

Slackened bleed nipple and the clutch will now pump, albeit feels stiff and notchy. Bled through new fluid and reattached slave - clutch lever locked again.

I'm not one to believe in coincidences, however the problem does seem to be with the master cylinder, just so happened to coincide with changing the clutch plates?

Now got to decide whether to try and find a replacement brembo clutch master cylinder or try a repair kit.

Any thoughts??
Old 17-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #22
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Have a look at slob's wise words at post #6 in this thread:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58610

Could that be your problem?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #23
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4
...One of the new plates was concave and it wasn't entirely clear from the instructions what way round it should be fitted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite
that’s what it sounds like
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #24
alan s4

That's what I thought. Removed the pressure plate/rod and all the plates (only the basket in place) and the lever still rock hard.

Assumed at this point that the rod from the slave cylinder must be jammed. Removed the slave cylinder and rod moves freely......lever still rock hard.

With the slave off the bike I loosened the bleed nipple and only at this point would the lever move. clutch lever still felt stiff and rough movement all the same.

Rock hard once again when slave fitted (with no other clutch parts on the bike apart from basket).

Feels like hydraulic lock (not sure what would cause this or how to fix!) or an issue with the master cylinder?

Anyway, off for a glass or 5 of wine now...........

PS - if you've not watched race 1 of BSB get it on, best race I've seen for years!
Old 19-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #25
CarloL

Bike: M900
Did anybody use TRW Lucas Plates , any difference over the cheaper Newfren ?

Do you need a new clutch drum , recommended replacing?

Lucas Plates
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/DUCATI-Kuppl...4AAOSwmPdZq8S2

They have a kit with NewFren plates & Clutch drum

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEU-Ducati-K...AAAOSwjt5ahYzr

Lucas Plate Kit
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/DUCATI-Monst...kAAOSwdx1aRSWL
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #26
slob

no experience of lucas plates i’m afraid.

you only need to change the basket if it’s excessively worn, re-read the first few posts on this thread for picture and explanation.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #27
alan s4

It's been a while........clutch finally fitted and working. Few issues/schoolboy errors:

1. Locked clutch lever issue - I didn't realise that when the actuator rod is removed the clutch slave/lever effectively lock up.
2. The original cups that retain the springs were different depths to the OBERON ones. Lots of head scratching as this changed the tension on the springs
3. I fitted a washer in the wrong order during one of my many re-builds and this really messed things up.

So after 2 months of buggering about I finally found a local factory trained ex-Ducati mechanic who had the clutch stripped and fully working within the hour. So if anyone in Glasgow or surrounding area looking for an excellent mechanic send me a PM!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Looking forward to the weekender now
Old 05-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #28
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Glad you got it sorted in the end. The only different spring cups that I'm aware of are those for the slipper clutch which IIRC are not as deep as the standard ones. So maybe you got sent the wrong ones.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #29
jerry
Old Git

Another way to get the fault u reported is when clutch basket does not seat on the clutch hub ,, it all can look fine but its solid ,, seen that a few times the splines are out of phase ,