UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Ignitech Ignition unit TCIP4.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Ignitech Ignition unit TCIP4.

To make it easier for other members searching for information I thought I’d start a new thread about the Ignitech TCIP4 ignition unit I’ve purchased to replace the two IC Ignitors on my 1997 M900.

The thread that started me down this route is here:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56817

And a link to the unit itself is here:
http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm

My thanks go to Dukedesmo for posting on the original thread.

My order turned up yesterday just a few days after placing it.
1 x TCIP4 Pre-programmed with standard settings for my 1997 Ducati Monster 900.
1 x set of connector adaptor/cables.
1 x USB/COM cable to communicate with the TCIP4 via my laptop.
All the instructions, software etc are emailed to you when you place the order.

It appears to be very well put together, I work in the Aviation Electronics industry so have a certain expectation, and was pleased to see everything neatly finished etc.
The guys at Ignitech proved very easy to deal with.
They prefer to be paid by Bank transfer but give the option of PAYPAL.
My bank would not let me transfer money to their IBAN code so I had to use PAYPAL, but it was probably safer for me anyway.

The instructions to ‘play’ with the ignition timing had been emailed to me when I placed the order, and appear to be quite straight forward.
My M900 has V2 heads, a K&N panel filter, a Dynojet Stage 2 Kit, and Remus Ducati Performance exhaust cans, I’m not really expecting it to need non-standard settings, but might have a play anyway and see what happens.
I do need to get it on a Dyno to fine tune the Dynojet kit, so having the ability to adjust the ignition might be a bonus.
I’ve previously set the Pick-up positions using a degree wheel, so know they are good.

I also have long term 900SS project on the go which has a few more mods including a 966Big Bore kit, so another unit will be purchased for that if my experience with the one for my M900 is good.

I didn’t have a lot of time last night, but couldn’t resist plugging it in for a quick test.

It’s not immediately obvious what plugs in where without consulting the connector pinout instructions supplied, which is the only way to establish which of the 3 way connectors is for the Vertical cylinder and which is for the Horizontal Cylinder. Once that’s established it’s easy to decide which of the two pin connectors is which as they are colour coded.
1 x 3 pin and 1 x 2 pin in Black, the other one of each are in Natural colour.

I disconnected the 3 pin and 2 pin connectors from both IC Ignitors and plugged the cables into the new loom attached to the TCPI4 ,and just ran the cable down the side of the battery so I could lower the tank and start the engine.

It started immediately, and settled down to a nice idle on the choke with no trouble.
It’s probably excitement/wishful thinking, but I’m sure it idled better than it did. Only a good blast when I’ve mounted it properly will prove it’s worth.

Pics to follow when I place it more permanently.

Nasher