UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » M900 starter solenoid

Old 19-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
Davektm

M900 starter solenoid

Hi guys, new to the forum and to Ducati’s. I have a 98 900 monster that I bought as a project. I’ve changed the belts and tried firing it up with a new battery but I’m having starting issues with either nothing happening when I push the starter or the starter sticking on. Pretty certain it’s the starter solenoid as the switch tests ok. Where is the best place to buy a new solenoid?
Old 19-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Give Moto Rapido parts a ring 01962 873981 and speak to Craig or Luke. Mention you're a member of UKMOC for a 10% discount.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Hi, I've got one just PM me your address and I'll put it in the post. Bitza
Old 19-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
Darkness

Bike: M900
Hi, and welcome on board.

To improve starting it is strongly recommended that you look closely at the condition of the power cable to the starter motor and the cleanliness of the connectors, especially the connection to the motor itself. The size of the cable itself was only marginally adequate when new, and the passage of time hasn’t improved them. Voltage drop from tired cables tends to mean you either get spin or spark, which doesn’t help starting at all. Oversize copper cables are available as an upgrade from standard: Exactstart being one such.
The rubber boot on the starter motor connection can trap water leading to corrosion at the joint (And another voltage drop). Take great care if undoing the nut to release the cable though, as the post it’s fitted to can turn in the starter body. Usual consequence of that is it rips the internal leads out of the brushes! Better to split/cut through the nut if corroded.
Old 19-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The starter solenoid isn't expensive, last one I bought about 18 months ago was £26 from a dealer. As suggested above, call Moto Rapido and quote UKMOC for a 10% discount, they will post it if needed.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

I second Darknesses advice re starter cables and the post on the starter motor.
If it is a project and therefore probably been standing for some while, it is well worth going over all the earths on the bike, battery to the frame and the engine to the frame (above and on the crankcase above the clutch casing which goes to behind the RH footrest hanger).
Another possible problem area is the 2 wire connector to the solenoid which has a habit of corroding/coming loose/generally not working. After cleaning up the two posts and the inside of the connector some have resorted to cable tying it in place.
Starter relay connections should definitely be checked and cleaned. The relays I believe are interchangeable so can be tested by swapping them over but they are not expensive and generic so you can check the ID and buy new on ebay etc.
Good luck and keep us posted
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Davy

I fitted exact kit on my monster it made an unbelievable difference I’ve only to look at the button and she’s spinning.
Old 20-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
rbt1548

Bike: M900sie
As 350TS said, the wiring to the solenoid causes problems, it happened to me when it wouldn't start after filling up with petrol, I had lights, horn everything bar the starter running, turned out the wire to the solenoid was loose, (and bodged), where it sits just behind the vertical bracing on the frame on the off side of the bike, once it was re attached it fired right away I have secured it with a cable tie and had no trouble since.

Reading through the forum at the time it seems to be not unusual. Here is a link to the thread, some good info from the guys on it.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...highlight=wire

1965 BSA Lightning Clubman
1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie

Last edited by rbt1548; 20-06-2020 at 08:05 AM..
rbt1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
mks

Sounds similar to my 1994 M900.
I've hard various starter problems.

The latest was battery related. Whenever I tried starting, the solenoid just started clicking continuously even though the lights, indicators and other related items worked.
Trying a different battery sorted this out.

Previous starting problems where the solenoid just clicked when pressing the starter button were related to worn out brushes on the starter motor.

Mark
mks is offline   Reply With Quote