UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Slow Monster rebuild

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
For the last couple of days I have been repairing air scoops, and repairing and trimming the hugger, all are now primed and have been temporarily top coated in satin black. I am not sure what colour they will end up but the satin black does show up all the surface imperfections that are not that noticeable in primer so I can fix them before the top coat goes on.

The exterior surface of the petrol tank base was repaired and a fore and aft interior tank baffle was cut from the CF sheet I made earlier. Once that is bonded into place, a coat of ethanol resistant resin will be put on all the interior surfaces.

The seat base mould got trimmed along the bottom, I use masking tape to provide a straight line to cut to and use a dremel with a diamond cutting disc about 40mm diameter. It cuts the CF really easily, sometimes a bit too easily as it is can run away with you.
I also cut a sheet of CF to be bonded into the bottom of the seat and to which the rear light /number plate assembly will be dzuz fastened. I cannot bond it in yet because the sheet will have to have slots cut into it to let the frame tubes sit inside and I do not yet know the fore and aft location of the seat.
banks open today near me
Making the holes in the front of the air scoop was a bit of a nightmare as the body of the scoop is tapered behind the air entry hole so you cannot allow the disc to go any deeper than about 6mm, also cutting a circular shape from the inside of the circle does not really work with a circular disc. You have to guess how far inside the line to cut with the leading edge as the trailing edge of the disc (which is in effect grinding) prescribes a much larger arc. In the end I cut very conservatively with the disc and then spent a long time with a file.

The dust created by the disc and the file is pernicious and it gets everywhere. Despite a top specification face mask, I could taste/feel it on my tongue. I took to taking a deep breath and breathing out whilst cutting and only breathing in whilst my head was averted. That did not stop it getting in my hair, my eye brows and between the cuffs of my protective overhaul and my skin.
Today I spent a long time polishing the tank top mould and ready to put the epoxy compatible gel coat on and the first layer of CF.
All the above took a lot longer than planned (as it always does) so despite nearly 30 hours this week the ETTC has only reduced to 230 hours.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote